• Sep 20th, 2020 8:34 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Xtrema wrote: Speaking solely on for the closest one near me:

1) They don't hire anyone qualify or diligent enough to balance tires. Took them 3 tries to get it right.

2) The location I'm at don't advertise phone numbers. If you insist, they will give you one but they never answers.

3) Life time rotation/balance/hazard can't be booked. It's drop it off and they will get to it when they can kind of deal. My 2nd balance (initial install screw up) took 2 days. My 3rd time, took 5 days and they couldn't find the tire for 3hrs when I insist to take it back and bring to someone else.

My location, service is horrible. I will never wish that on my worse enemy. I don't care how cheap their tires are. They are strictly ill-equipped and understaffed to handle service requests.
Which location is this? That kind of service doesn't sound right at Costco, unless you're a competing mechanic/garage (i kid i kid)
AncasterRD wrote: They probably looked at the April scheduler for tire changes and thought... "not packed enough". This is their small scam, they promise tire rotation, balancing and changes for free or at low prices, but they know fully well that they can only serve a limited number of customers, the ones willing to be there at 5am and wait outside for a couple of hours, then leave the car for the day. The worst the weather the less people you fight with.
Same reason why people line up 30 minutes for gas, when they can get it at the street corner with no wait to save a penny.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3808 posts
1672 upvotes
Yeah, the Costco wait times are ridiculous. You have to plan to go in, make an appointment, come back with two cars, drop off one car and come back much later to pick it up.

That being said, it's $22. Recently I went to Canadian Tire out of desperation (holiday weekend and everywhere else was closed) and it cost $40 for tire change alone and they quoted me an additional $80 for balancing.

I would have much preferred my mechanic. Lesson learned. Go early to get those tires changed.
Jul 21, 2011
790 posts
685 upvotes
Knowhere
Cech wrote: Mounting a tire on a rim is $15. $60 for all 4. This is the same price as when you purchase tires from Costco but they didn't offer it as a separate service until now.
sorry, I posted on the phone earlier on with TPMS on the title.
for TPMS, they are charging 15 per tire, so 60 just to have the tpms reconfigured when changing the tire. so I was thinking it would be an amazing deal if they are doing the 4 tpms sensors for 20ish... so I was thinking that the 20ish is per tire, not for 4 tires...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3061 posts
1174 upvotes
liviu23 wrote: Here's a pic of the ad, saw it today at the exit (Costco Pointe Claire)

OP, feel free to add to your first post

http://imgur.com/9goXVxI

Thanks!! I had misplaced the flyer when I got home.

OP updated
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3231 posts
1258 upvotes
Airdrie
jc49 wrote: i thought its $15 per tire, it said on the website.
http://tires2.costco.ca/Home.aspx?whs=5 ... reId=10302
$15 installation charge when you buy their tire includes rotation, balancing, and flat repairs for the life of the tire.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Jan 14, 2004
273 posts
98 upvotes
I'm done with Costco tire service. On one trip they broke my lug nuts lock key. I had to take it to a real tire shop for them to fix it. Another time they cross threaded and stripped a lug stud. Again, had to take it to a real tire shop. At least they paid for the repairs, but in both cases it pretty much wasted an entire day.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3061 posts
1174 upvotes
lightmeup wrote: sorry, I posted on the phone earlier on with TPMS on the title.
for TPMS, they are charging 15 per tire, so 60 just to have the tpms reconfigured when changing the tire. so I was thinking it would be an amazing deal if they are doing the 4 tpms sensors for 20ish... so I was thinking that the 20ish is per tire, not for 4 tires...
Huh? Who's they??

Costco charges $15 per tire mount on rim including TPMS reset. The rotation of all 4 wheels or Swap of already mounted tires on wheels with a TPMS reset is only $25.99.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1877 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
halcyon wrote: Yeah, the Costco wait times are ridiculous. You have to plan to go in, make an appointment, come back with two cars, drop off one car and come back much later to pick it up.

That being said, it's $22. Recently I went to Canadian Tire out of desperation (holiday weekend and everywhere else was closed) and it cost $40 for tire change alone and they quoted me an additional $80 for balancing.

I would have much preferred my mechanic. Lesson learned. Go early to get those tires changed.
Yeah, I find Canadian Tire auto service to be really expensive, more expensive than even going to the dealership where I got my car. Good to know I can try Costco but I will need to phone them up to see what the wait times are. Does Costco do any other car maintenance like flushing the transmission fluid? Does Costco sell cabin air filters for the cars?

If I go to the dealership, I save a lot of time because the dealership sticks to agreed times and has a shuttle service that drops you off at your house and picks you back up when they are ready. No worrying, good service.

With Costco I believe they intentionally make you wait so you are more likely to spend money in store. Having to go in store just to make an appointment is all sorts of wrong.

So the real question is how much do you value your time?
Dec 14, 2006
59 posts
5 upvotes
jdewit wrote: $15 installation charge when you buy their tire includes rotation, balancing, and flat repairs for the life of the tire.
Oh, good to know. Life of the tire.
Thanks
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2013
1458 posts
519 upvotes
Mississauga
Curtis_E_Bare wrote: I'm done with Costco tire service. On one trip they broke my lug nuts lock key. I had to take it to a real tire shop for them to fix it. Another time they cross threaded and stripped a lug stud. Again, had to take it to a real tire shop. At least they paid for the repairs, but in both cases it pretty much wasted an entire day.
Wow this sounds horrendous, what the hell.