Computers & Electronics

Is the Costco TLC Roku 4k (55S423CA) good for sports?

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 4:11 pm
[OP]
Oct 22, 2007
276 posts
3 upvotes
Ancaster

Is the Costco TLC Roku 4k (55S423CA) good for sports?

The budget says between $500-$700 and I'm really interested in 4K sports. I love the Costco warranty options and that TLC Roku 4k 55" seems like a no brainer. I could save some cash and grab a soundbar etc. or new streaming box.

If the pro's here think I'd really see the difference during sports I'd go higher but truthfully I'm not nitpicking over 5% sharpness/darkness/color improvements etc. for another $200.

If 4K sports would suck on it I definitely would invest a bit more but not much.

I would even drop to a 50" (I only have a 60.5" opening) if there was a far superior choice.

Thank ahead and really appreciate any feed back.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
fairly sure suffers from dirty screen effect. go to rtings to confirm. all TCL, Visio tvs have this problem. Samsung tv even their low end either don't suffer from this or is very rare.
[OP]
Oct 22, 2007
276 posts
3 upvotes
Ancaster
Thank you for the reply. If this is a sub $700 panel problem then it may be just a fact of life having a sub $700 wallet 8(.

As a 4k noob I'm just trying to justify 500 or 700 bucks. 500 bucks seems stupid cheap compared to my first Sharp Aquos. I think I paid atleast that for the Futureshop warranty!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
Raycaster wrote: Thank you for the reply. If this is a sub $700 panel problem then it may be just a fact of life having a sub $700 wallet 8(.

As a 4k noob I'm just trying to justify 500 or 700 bucks. 500 bucks seems stupid cheap compared to my first Sharp Aquos. I think I paid atleast that for the Futureshop warranty!
As I mentioned, Samsung panels almost universally don't have this issue. Even for their low end. For sports, you might explore this avenue rather than suffer DSE. Samsung low end also has the worst backlighting but you have to sacrifice something.