[Costco] Tonic Performance Hex Trap Bar - $159.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2020 4:10 pm
[OP]
Nov 21, 2014
93 posts
59 upvotes

[Costco] Tonic Performance Hex Trap Bar - $159.99

Just incase anyone is looking for a trap bar, seems like a decent price and they still have 64 in stock.

Product Details:

This bar is perfect to add variations in your dead lift while putting less stress on your lower back. By positioning yourself in the middle of the bar, stress on the lower back is reduced. This bar is also very effective for shrugs. Plates and collars sold separately.

Features:
Hardened chrome coating
One piece welded and machined
Weights and collars (not included)
544.3 kg (1200 lb) test

Specifications:
Length 143.5 cm (56.5 in)
Sleeve Length: 22.9 cm (9 in)
Weight: 21.7 kg (48 lb)

Warranty:
1 year
19 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2012
1136 posts
696 upvotes
I mean at 48lb...I'll be happy to lift just the bar. No additional weighs required Face With Tears Of Joy
Nov 7, 2018
970 posts
695 upvotes
Why they don't have this in goodlife fitness

Amazon.ca has this also-- synergee trap bar at $189
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4210 posts
1099 upvotes
Good price. Tempting.

This is what this site has to say about the hex bar:
The researchers concluded that the greater strength was due to the fact that the hex bar keeps the weight closer to the body. So while the hex-bar deadlift engages the same muscle groups as the standard deadlift, it allows you to use more of the quadriceps to lift the bar and less hamstrings, glutes, and lower back.
The only issue I have with the straight bar is it gets in the way of my knees when doing deadlifts. Also, it's harder on the lower back.
signature closed for renovation
Sep 7, 2002
935 posts
399 upvotes
My bro and I have been looking at this and others for a while. This is a solid trap bar, but the open trap bars with loading jacks have become features on much cheaper bars (compared to the high end $700+ ones). Bellsofsteel.com and northern lights both have open/jack trap bars for 180-250, but no stock. I really want the jacks to just store them vertically when not in use instead of having them lying around flat.
Feb 25, 2004
338 posts
258 upvotes
Montreal
I've had this bar for several years and love it for deadlifts and farmer's walks. I've been recommending it to everyone.
The only two slight issues to be aware of:
  1. The knurling is quite aggressive
  2. The sleeves are short, this may become an issue especially if you use bumper plates.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4644 posts
1107 upvotes
This, or an open trap bar....uggg. Might buy now and think later.

Edit: Nope, 9" sleeve is way too short. I don't even think I could get 3 45lbs bumpers on there plus a collar. Wallet safe.
Let's hug it out
Dec 24, 2010
98 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Any suggestions for a bar that holds 1inch plates?
The pictures look like this holds 2inch plates, but description is not specific
Feb 17, 2019
58 posts
18 upvotes
I want one of these...but I only have standard (not olympic) plates in my small apartment that I store under my couch :(. I'm presuming some type of reverse adapter is impossible.
Sep 7, 2002
935 posts
399 upvotes
crosby86 wrote: Any suggestions for a bar that holds 1inch plates?
Sell all your 1" stuff now while the market is still good for it and move to 2" if you can. Stocks are low, but everything is 2". 1" only for those cheap York sets.

*Edit* Just sold 50 lbs of 1" plates plus a ez curl bar for $100 in under 24 hours. Unload that stuff asap haha
Last edited by strife on Aug 19th, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2639 posts
910 upvotes
Mrrfdxyz wrote: Why they don't have this in goodlife fitness

Amazon.ca has this also-- synergee trap bar at $189
Not sure which GoodLife locations you go to, but pretty much all of them have trap bars.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1900 posts
726 upvotes
This looks like a great deal but I strongly prefer a straight bar for deadlifts with a reverse grip. It just feels completely natural to me and if you lift correctly you should never have to worry about your back.

Deads are a push/pull exercise (push off the floor with your legs and pull/row with your arms) as you all already know I am sure and remembering that helps a lot when I lift.

Trap bars are great but they just aren't my cup of tea.

I have a bar with agressive knurling so I put white hockey tape on the areas I grip. Problem solved and the grip is fantastic with the tape.
Nov 9, 2016
49 posts
44 upvotes
Lloydminster
crosby86 wrote: Any suggestions for a bar that holds 1inch plates?
This is the one I got for my work gym years ago. It was the only standard plate trap bar I could find back then.

New York Barbells
Nov 7, 2018
970 posts
695 upvotes
CensoredByRFD wrote: Not sure which GoodLife locations you go to, but pretty much all of them have trap bars.
All of goodlife in Edmonton doesn't have trap bar