• Mar 24th, 2021 5:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3156 posts
1234 upvotes

[Costco] Total Gym EXTREME home gym $249.97 YMMV

In store

Picked up the last one at St Bruno, Quebec today.

Ymmv of course so best to call your store to see if they have stock.
Item # 1357677

Still sells online for $429.99 on Costco.ca
Images
  • 20210318_100202.jpg
Last edited by TomRFD on Mar 18th, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
24 replies
Feb 27, 2012
67 posts
43 upvotes
WEST VANCOUVER
I think of chuck Norris when I see this thing
Jul 19, 2008
94 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered one online last fall just before gyms closed again, to keep my going during the lockdown. I can confirm that it’s surprisingly effective especially for arms, shoulders and chest. Somewhat less so for back and legs as i find it doesn’t offer quite enough resistance. But there are some hacks you can apply to make it more effective (search YouTube - there are a couple of channels where the presenters feature their workarounds).

For $250 it’s worth it and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying plates and dumbbells. Also folds up conveniently.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3156 posts
1234 upvotes
First impressions.
I set it up today and I could say...pretty impressive. Out of the box, you just unfold it and it's ready to go with the seat roller and pulleys already attached. I did some bicep curls, tricep extensions and presses. Simple to use and pretty effective. It does come with several attachments for ab crunches, squats, pull ups and much more. The guide of exercises is extensive and provides advanced training programs.

Also comes with 2 workout training DVDs and you get full access to their online workouts as well.

Was a little sceptical at first but after a quick tryout and the fact that it folds away makes it a definate keeper at this price.
Mar 30, 2007
368 posts
451 upvotes
Tarro wrote: I ordered one online last fall just before gyms closed again, to keep my going during the lockdown. I can confirm that it’s surprisingly effective especially for arms, shoulders and chest. Somewhat less so for back and legs as i find it doesn’t offer quite enough resistance. But there are some hacks you can apply to make it more effective (search YouTube - there are a couple of channels where the presenters feature their workarounds).

For $250 it’s worth it and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying plates and dumbbells. Also folds up conveniently.
Everything the dude said in the video is cool, a lot of improvisation and its amazing.

Since you have the total gym, can you tell us if there are any places you can attach bungee cord or resistence band to increase the intensity? I cant see any holes that can hold them in the pic Disappointed Face
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1564 posts
343 upvotes
Whitby
I have the model where you can add weight plates to the side. Max weight of 450lbs. I’ve been using it for the past 16 months and it’s awesome.
Jul 19, 2008
94 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
swordman2000 wrote: Everything the dude said in the video is cool, a lot of improvisation and its amazing.

Since you have the total gym, can you tell us if there are any places you can attach bungee cord or resistence band to increase the intensity? I cant see any holes that can hold them in the pic Disappointed Face
Unfortunately this version doesn’t have the option of adding plates like Galad’s, however there are ways to use it with resistance bands, which I do, when performing leg presses/squats. Basically you loop the band(s) under the foot plate and either grip them in your hands like a dumbbell, or for lighter/looser bands over your shoulders. This YouTuber is another one to follow for TotalGym hacks:

Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2103 posts
4598 upvotes
Markham
In before the "this is garbage just buy $3000 racks and plates and barbells and dumbbells and benches and make lots of room and you have everything you need ez pz!"
May 22, 2014
414 posts
282 upvotes
Tarro wrote: I ordered one online last fall just before gyms closed again, to keep my going during the lockdown. I can confirm that it’s surprisingly effective especially for arms, shoulders and chest. Somewhat less so for back and legs as i find it doesn’t offer quite enough resistance. But there are some hacks you can apply to make it more effective (search YouTube - there are a couple of channels where the presenters feature their workarounds).

post pics of physique to confirm authenticity of statement
Aug 6, 2019
151 posts
92 upvotes
berta
you can do this exercise without the machine. air squats while standing on the bands. im triggered because if fell for the myth you need machines to workout.
too much time during covid
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3156 posts
1234 upvotes
Tarro wrote: This YouTuber is another one to follow for TotalGym hacks:

Thanks for sharing! Honestly, I never knew how practical this really is. The number of exercises is practically unlimited. People need to understand that is is not for bulk mass body building, it's simply a great way to stay in shape without the bulk of heavy weights and the space required. Add to a cardio routine with a treadmill or cycle.
Aug 21, 2005
375 posts
241 upvotes
North York, ON
I bought this a few months ago when it was $350 at Costco. I was skeptical at first, but I ended up really liking it. It can work out your muscles in a lot of ways, and it's also nice that it folds away for those who don't have much space.
I have some experience with lifting weights so I ended up reaching the limits of what it could do in terms of resistance for some exercises, and unfortunately it doesn't have the weight bar holes to be able to add weight. However, what I did was stack up some small 2x4 pieces under the part that raises up to increase the resistance to my liking. And when I need even more resistance I put a chair under it. Overall I'm happy I bought it, and at $250 it's a steal.

Unfortunately it looks like it's selling for $430 on their web site: https://www.costco.ca/total-gym-xtreme- ... 19498.html
Aug 10, 2004
131 posts
2 upvotes
I have one and I love it.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1220 posts
192 upvotes
Montreal
haran wrote: I have one and I love it.
$250 is a bargain. I have the TSC Fit Plus which goes on sale for $849/$799 once in a while at TSC. This Costco version can do all the same but is less robust. It’s really good for shoulders and chest. I’ve hacked mine to add extra pulleys for better curls. I add elastic bands for leg squats and it burns.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3156 posts
1234 upvotes
scouzi wrote: $250 is a bargain. I have the TSC Fit Plus which goes on sale for $849/$799 once in a while at TSC. This Costco version can do all the same but is less robust. It’s really good for shoulders and chest. I’ve hacked mine to add extra pulleys for better curls. I add elastic bands for leg squats and it burns.
This one has a 350lb weight capacity which is pretty good since their basic model is 275lbs. Adding bands can increase resistance without affecting its weight capacity like weights would.
Oct 25, 2010
787 posts
378 upvotes
I love my total gym! Got me from zero exercise for years (no muscles) to actually being in decent shape now (like i can do push-ups and stuff) and I’m no where near the max of where this machine can take me so lots more room for improvement!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
2541 posts
2743 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
I have a bowflex pr1000 would this total gym give me a better workout?
Mar 24, 2011
131 posts
171 upvotes
I have the XLS model. It's better if you can add a weight bar and extra weight, but it doesn't look like you can do that with this one. The total gym is good for some exercises, not so great for others. At the very least, you'll want a dumbbell set to add to the exercises that you can do.

I have a Soloflex hybrid too (modified to use free weights) and between the two of them and a set of dumbbells you can get a good workout.