• Apr 10th, 2018 1:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19240 posts
6236 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …

Costco TPMS sensors cost?

Does anybody know what Costco charges to replace TPMS sensors with their their generic ones? The sensors in my wheels are probably reaching the end of their life and I have to get new all seasons this year, figure I should probably just bite the bullet and put new sensors in.

I can get OE ones for $40 a piece from Rockauto and Lexus will charge a rip-off half hour of labor to just punch the new IDs into techstream ($60-70) to program them. Of course this introduces some possible headaches (one of the sensors is defective, or costco breaks one while installing and I won't know until I've paid Lexus to program them, for example).

If costco's sensors are anywhere close to being comparable in price, installed, I'll just let them put their generic ones in but I'm not willing to pay double. Problem is that over the last two days I've been completely unsuccessful at getting somebody at the tire center there to even pick up the phone and it's not convenient for me to go over there and accost them in person.

For the record tires23 wants $360 for a set of 4 (probably generic, also) installed which is even more expensive than having Lexus do it while getting treated to lunch and espresso while I wait. Which was surprising.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21168 posts
10610 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
dont f with the generics

get the OE's (from rock auto or wherever) and have lexus install them properly.

only things I'd ever get generic are brakes and consumables like filters.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13412 posts
7753 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know. I'd probably buy the tool for programming them and get the cheapest sensors you can get if you plan on using / replacing sensors.

OR

Just ignore the dashboard light and if it bothers you, black tape is really cheap.
BST:
Kenwood KAC-91050 - $200

DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19240 posts
6236 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
nasa25 wrote: dont f with the generics

get the OE's (from rock auto or wherever) and have lexus install them properly.

only things I'd ever get generic are brakes and consumables like filters.
Normally I would agree when talking about getting stuff from anywhere but Costco, but I really would have no fear letting costco install whatever they want because I know it'll be easy to have them take care of issues.

Anyway, I had to call 8 costcos around ontario to get someone to answer the phone just to get some answers. They said that they didn't even have generics for my car anyway and that I should just bring my own sensors in. They will replace them for no extra cost since you're already having the tires replaced, and he said that they can even program them even if they are OE parts and not theirs. If they did have the generics he said they would be around 60-70 each. I guess I'll just order them from Rock Auto and hope that when I take the car in for the tires I don't get a different story from whoever is there at the time. I would like to use the costco that actually answered the phone,because the guy was so helpful compared to all the ones that wouldn't even answer but that warehouse is way out of my way. :(
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19240 posts
6236 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
koffey wrote: I don't know. I'd probably buy the tool for programming them and get the cheapest sensors you can get if you plan on using / replacing sensors.

OR

Just ignore the dashboard light and if it bothers you, black tape is really cheap.
I think the issue is that when the TPMS system is going nuts in my car, it basically makes the whole dash light up like a christmas tree including big annoying warnings on the in dash display and basically treats it like a check engine light. As soon as driveclean comes around again I think it would be an instafail. Generally I agree that the whole TPMS nanny system is way more trouble than it's ever been worth.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21168 posts
10610 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
BinaryJay wrote: Normally I would agree when talking about getting stuff from anywhere but Costco, but I really would have no fear letting costco install whatever they want because I know it'll be easy to have them take care of issues.

Anyway, I had to call 8 costcos around ontario to get someone to answer the phone just to get some answers. They said that they didn't even have generics for my car anyway and that I should just bring my own sensors in. They will replace them for no extra cost since you're already having the tires replaced, and he said that they can even program them even if they are OE parts and not theirs. If they did have the generics he said they would be around 60-70 each. I guess I'll just order them from Rock Auto and hope that when I take the car in for the tires I don't get a different story from whoever is there at the time. I would like to use the costco that actually answered the phone,because the guy was so helpful compared to all the ones that wouldn't even answer but that warehouse is way out of my way. :(
the chance of getting defective parts from rock auto is pretty slim so I don't think you'd have much to worry about.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2006
1042 posts
538 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: I think the issue is that when the TPMS system is going nuts in my car, it basically makes the whole dash light up like a christmas tree including big annoying warnings on the in dash display and basically treats it like a check engine light. As soon as driveclean comes around again I think it would be an instafail. Generally I agree that the whole TPMS nanny system is way more trouble than it's ever been worth.
Just FYI, DriveClean and / or safety certificates do not check TPMS.