Edmonton

Costco TV information [Vizio vs. TCL vs. Hisense be. Samsung vs. Sony]

Looking to purchase a TV 65 inch, LCD.

Must have:
Apps such as YouTube Netflix
Good sound
Good image quality
Good build quality

What are your thoughts on quality and longevity about brands selling at Costco.

If I am in market for prices to drop, what the (price and model) I should wait for to buy any recommended TV.

Vizio vs. TCL vs. Hisense be. Samsung vs. Sony
Koodo: Unlimited calling $40 for 10 gb + 1000 international minutes
9 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19834 posts
5188 upvotes
Off the 404
Each brand has their own tier of tvs that reflect on their pricing. No brand is superior then another of you're comparing different tiers.

I'd recommend doing more research, rtings is a good place to start.

You're basically asking if Toyota, Honda, Audi and Hyundai is best for quality and longevity, but are you comparing a Corolla with a CRV with a R8 and a Santa Fe?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20694 posts
14530 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Polarbear92 wrote: Looking to purchase a TV 65 inch, LCD...

Vizio vs. TCL vs. Hisense be. Samsung vs. Sony
The answer isn't simple. It depends on which features are important to you. It requires research of every model they offer for sale based on your prioritized needs. It can be a lengthy, tedious process. It's something only you can do.

I'd suggest you start by finding the latest edition of Consumer Reports that did an extensive comparison of 65" TV sets. I can help with that: November 2019, starting at p. 19. That will tell you what features are important, then rate models based on how well they perform on those.

Their TL;DR answer is:
1. You get what you pay for.
2. Sony, LG and Samsung are the highest rated. By a wide margin.
3, Vizio, TCL and Hisense are all at the bottom of the pack.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1678 posts
508 upvotes
Edmonton
bobohobo2kx wrote: LG LCDs aren't worth buying. It's OLED or nothing for LG.
Why not? LG has one of the best IPS displays for TVs.

Personally I would take a budget LG IPS TV or something like a Vizio, TCL, or Hisense.
Jan 19, 2018
767 posts
537 upvotes
tablo13 wrote: Why not? LG has one of the best IPS displays for TVs.

Personally I would take a budget LG IPS TV or something like a Vizio, TCL, or Hisense.
High end/better LCD TV use VA panels, not IPS. VA panels have better picture quality due to far superior contrast compared to IPS. IPS is pretty much only useful if you watch TV at an angle.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1678 posts
508 upvotes
Edmonton
bobohobo2kx wrote: High end/better LCD TV use VA panels, not IPS. VA panels have better picture quality due to far superior contrast compared to IPS. IPS is pretty much only useful if you watch TV at an angle.
Well that’s just a preference, it isn’t necessarily better. I prefer IPS for viewing angles, better colours, and less ghosting. I’ve also tried VA monitors (Samsung 32” 4k) and they just weren’t up to my preference.
Jan 19, 2018
767 posts
537 upvotes
tablo13 wrote: Well that’s just a preference, it isn’t necessarily better. I prefer IPS for viewing angles, better colours, and less ghosting. I’ve also tried VA monitors (Samsung 32” 4k) and they just weren’t up to my preference.
It's a fact that the majority of TV manufacturers use VA panels in their higher end LCD TVs. The best rated LCD TVs like the Samsung Q90R, Sony X900F/X950G, Vizio P Series Quantum use VA panels. It's a fact that VAs are the best all-around mixed usage LCD panel. They offer the best contrast, fast response times (not as good as TN), good colors (not as good as IPS), better viewing angles than TN (not as good as IPS).