• Aug 11th, 2018 10:50 pm
[OP]
Dec 9, 2007
306 posts
63 upvotes
Montreal

Costco tv warranty

Hi
I bought a 58’’ samsung tv 5 months ago from costco.
When i came back home today, i found it like the picture attached. Not sure what happend but i suspect my 4 year old son trough something at it.
Should i go to costco and ask for an exchange? Or i just take the loss? Thanjs
Images
  • D9F738BA-6349-47E8-AA59-90F69A04DBEE.jpeg
21 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36342 posts
9609 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Return policy is 90 days. Warranty and exchange is 2 years.

Don’t take it as a loss. Return it to Costco and get a new one.

I don’t like abusing Costco’s generous return policy, but in this situation, you need to get it exchanged.
Apr 4, 2012
296 posts
187 upvotes
Laval, Que
If your kid broke the TV, how can you think of claiming warranty with Costco? That's unethical. Maybe your can claim it on your credit card if it has accident damage coverage
Jan 12, 2017
620 posts
233 upvotes
If the case & glass are unbroken, one wonders what a 4-year-old could have done? I suspect the edge of the panel fingers are either oxidized or some liquid was spilt, closer examination will rule out the child. Costco has the concierge service that will send a tech to make this determination (don't say a word about what your suspicions are) and you will have your verdict wihtout cheating and corss your fingers for a good result. Costco has a veery good consumer reputation, I could see you getting a rule in your favour.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1325 posts
1083 upvotes
gophia wrote: If your kid broke the TV, how can you think of claiming warranty with Costco? That's unethical. Maybe your can claim it on your credit card if it has accident damage coverage
hahhahaha you do know you are on RFD, where ethics come to die
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2998 upvotes
The image in the picture suggests panel damage. But this is Costco so they'll probably give you a replacement.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1880 upvotes
I think you're past the 90 day period, I also see in the bottom middle where something smashed into the TV. Do you have a Switch or Wii U? I can only imagine how much TV destruction Nintendo has caused over the year.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
Talk to Costco. You have no clue what happened based on what you have said. If they claim it was physically damaged, get them to prove it. I had a TV that cracked on its own. It cracked while watching TV. Nothing hit it, ever. It was a battle, but we got it replaced. When something looks like physical damage, that is what people point fingers at. After some battling, they could not prove it was physically damaged and it was plausible it was something internal.
Dec 14, 2006
635 posts
103 upvotes
It's pretty clear that it's physical damage. You can see where the point of impact was where it kind of spiderwebs out. No way that's liquid damage or a faulty TV.

That said though, I would talk to Costco anyway and see what happens. You never know what they might be wiling to do.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2007
306 posts
63 upvotes
Montreal
When u say talk to costco, u mean go see them with the tv or call them?

Deans21 wrote: It's pretty clear that it's physical damage. You can see where the point of impact was where it kind of spiderwebs out. No way that's liquid damage or a faulty TV.

That said though, I would talk to Costco anyway and see what happens. You never know what they might be wiling to do.
Dec 14, 2006
635 posts
103 upvotes
tbtaoufiq wrote: When u say talk to costco, u mean go see them with the tv or call them?
I've never dealt with Costco warranty myself but if you bought the 5 year from them I would call that number first, tell them the screen isn't working and they'll probably send someone out to look at it. You may as well try rather than give up and eat the cost.
Nov 16, 2016
182 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
You would call Costco Concierge first
who then can call Samsung on your behalf and ask what the problem is
They would then send a technician to your home and see whats wrong with the TV
If it cannot be fixed, they would send Costco a Return Authorization
Once Costco receives that, they would put a note on your membership file that you can return the broken TV
When you make the return, they will issue you a refund (Cost of the TV incl extended warranty you purchased)
then start looking for a new tv
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
tbtaoufiq wrote: Hi
When i came back home today, i found it like the picture attached. Not sure what happend but i suspect my 4 year old son trough something at it.
tbtaoufiq wrote: I tought they offer 2 year warranty on TVs ?! Plus i paid the extended warranty 5 years at costco
More troubling than the TV is that the "H" key on your keyboard may be defective! :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2998 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: More troubling than the TV is that the "H" key on your keyboard may be defective! :lol:
oh oh, I think he bought his computer from Costco too.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3402 posts
3751 upvotes
Montreal
Just curious for large TV's, do they come pick them up?
Free?
What if you don't have the box anymore?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9182 posts
3223 upvotes
Toronto
tbtaoufiq wrote: Hi
I would call Costco and tell them what's happening on the screen. They will probably send a tech to your home to look at it and to determine the source/cause of the problem. I would keep any "suspicions" to myself. Tell them the facts: for example, you came home, switched on the TV and this is what you saw. Or, your wife called you at work, told you there was something wrong with the TV and this is what you saw when you got home.

Unless you actually know for sure that your son threw something at it and hit the screen, then I don't see anything wrong with my approach.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7762 posts
1432 upvotes
Toronto
Op. Probably just brought the tv back to Costco. Their 90 day return policy is just a guideline. Managers discretion.

Returned electronics past 90 with no hassle all the time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)