• Apr 3rd, 2022 9:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1976 posts
988 upvotes
Toronto

Costco TV Warranty, need help

Hi Everyone, If you have filed a warranty claim before for your Costco bought TV. Can you share your experience?

So a few months ago i noticed that our TV (Hisense 55" TV) started to have these lines going from the bottom of the screen to the top and it is doing this continuously. it is pretty obvious for darker scenes and even on the main menu screen which is green. We bought this TV on December 2017. I bought the 3 years extended warranty.

I tried to file a claim on the asurion website and i described this problem but today, i received this feedback:

HISENSE USA CORPORATION 55" LED TV
Claim opened on June 30, 2020
Here's the latest:
Your claim filed on June 30th, 2020 could not be completed. The issue you had described was not covered under the terms and conditions of your plan.

I don't understand why this is not covered? I have not done anything or bumped anything on this TV that might have caused this problem.
Any thoughts?

Thank you.
23 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18839 posts
6040 upvotes
Toronto
Did your description match something that is covered by the plan's terms and conditions?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3648 posts
2317 upvotes
London
why not call them and ask to speak with a manger 888-531-8881. if they refuse to help then why not try packing the tv up and taking it in to costco and complain maybe they will just give u another one i've heard people say they have taken stuff back there years later and got a return.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37412 posts
23485 upvotes
Center of Universe
Return it back to Costco and complain the warranty they sell is BS.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2873 posts
221 upvotes
Burlington
Care to post pictures of what you mean so we can see?

Everyone seems to preach the cheap Costco warranty but I've never actually heard feedback on people using it so I'm kinda curious.

In the market for a new tv this year and Costco was on the list for the warranty convenience. But maybe not?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9150 posts
2154 upvotes
Call the store, explain the situation - get managerial approval, arrange for it to be returned. Nothing to worry about.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Jan 12, 2017
614 posts
223 upvotes
Should be covered, sounds like a string of a led in the back light. You might have to get a bit more aggressive with the help of a store manager.
Aug 27, 2020
2 posts
Was this ever resolved? I'm in the middle of a claim with my Vizio M55-E0. The Asurion website says it has been "resolved" but I haven't heard a peep from anyone in two weeks.
Mar 21, 2016
23 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a similar issue and not sure if Costco would refund my money...

I bought a Vizio tv 1.5 years ago from Costco.ca.
About 6 months ago, there was a problem with the TV so I called Costco concierge service which connected me to Vizio and I was able to get the TV replaced through Vizio.
Now there is another issue with the new TV and I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I would rather return it and get something else.

Would I be able to take the TV to a warehouse and return it? It's still under the original 2 year warranty.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
2277 posts
1835 upvotes
Montreal
lunchboy wrote: I have a similar issue and not sure if Costco would refund my money...

About 6 months ago, there was a problem with the TV so I called Costco concierge service which connected me to Vizio and I was able to get the TV replaced through Vizio.
Now there is another issue with the new TV and I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I would rather return it and get something else.

Would I be able to take the TV to a warehouse and return it? It's still under the original 2 year warranty.
Probably not. Get it repaired and sell it.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3648 posts
2317 upvotes
London
lunchboy wrote: I have a similar issue and not sure if Costco would refund my money...

only way they will give u another one is if the parts can't be got to fix it or if the same thing fails more then 3 times then most stores warranty a lemon thing that says if the same thing fails 3 times we replace.
Jul 19, 2009
50 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga
DimsumDeals wrote: Hi Everyone, If you have filed a warranty claim before for your Costco bought TV. Can you share your experience?

So a few months ago i noticed that our TV (Hisense 55" TV) started to have these lines going from the bottom of the screen to the top and it is doing this continuously. it is pretty obvious for darker scenes and even on the main menu screen which is green. We bought this TV on December 2017. I bought the 3 years extended warranty.

I tried to file a claim on the asurion website and i described this problem but today, i received this feedback:

HISENSE USA CORPORATION 55" LED TV
Claim opened on June 30, 2020
Here's the latest:
Your claim filed on June 30th, 2020 could not be completed. The issue you had described was not covered under the terms and conditions of your plan.

I don't understand why this is not covered? I have not done anything or bumped anything on this TV that might have caused this problem.
Any thoughts?

Thank you.
Sounds like the tv refresh rate.
Have you looked at the input? Is it just one type of input or all input signals?
Could be the cable?
Jul 31, 2017
891 posts
436 upvotes

I did that.

Had a Vizio that went bad, then the replacement went bad. Out of the one year manufacturer's warranty, but within the extra Costco warranty.

Vizio originally replaced a 55" with a 65", which caused Costco some issues. They claimed I had to go through their concierge service, but I had spoken to them. Not my fault they didn't make notes. Due to the lack of notes the folks in store were reluctant to take it back, but I was damned if I was going to take the TV home, call the concierge service, and then come back to the store (not sure why I couldn't call them from the store on my cell, but there was a reason at the time).

Anyway, they ended up taking it back and I got a Samsung. I wasn't happy with the forced ads on that, so a month or two later I took it back and got a Sony. Much happier now.
Feb 6, 2019
70 posts
17 upvotes
Bc
Just dealing with this now. But an LG oled TV in oct 2019. Bought the extended warranty. This month the screen kept going black.. just for a few seconds and then it will go back to normal. Also heard popping noises in the back. We called the concierge service and they sent somebody out yesterday. He replaced a board in the back and then tried to say if it still doesn’t work it’s your Telus box...
oookaaay.. Face With Rolling Eyes
That made me laugh. I asked for a work order and he refused to give it to me. Said my claim number would be enough. That did not feel right.

After he left the tv got worse. So we brought a friend who is familiar with TVs and electronics. He tried setting it up. But no to avail. We kept getting kicked out of the apps . It started freezing ... None of the remotes would work.

And then all of a sudden it totally went black and you could just hear sound.

I called the concierge service and they said they’re going to send somebody else out. I try to explain to him that the guy that was there fixing the TV said that if this didn’t work that it wasn’t the TVs fault. Which is pretty obvious that was just a copout to blame a brand new Telus box that we have not had any issues with.

Should I take it back to Costco and tell them what’s happening? I literally have no TV now. It’s done. Whatever the guy did broke it.
Apr 17, 2016
19 posts
40 upvotes
Hey Guys,

SO I bought a Haier 55, 4k TV in 2016 along with 3yrs protection plan. My TV had similar issues of black spots and yellow bleed but the tech who came over said it is suppose to be normal but i also had an issue where whenever connected with hdmi there was a static sound. i have recieved an email that they are going to contact me, i called and was told they couldnt fix my tv. Either I will get a Cheque it seems or they will tell me to buy something of similar price etc.

I will update once i hear back.

Now : can you please suggest a nice 50-55 inch TV? should be 4k and if has inbuilt smart feature that'd be awesome. Androis vs Roku analysis would be awesome too :)
TIA
Jun 9, 2021
224 posts
118 upvotes
lapolezia wrote:
Now : can you please suggest a nice 50-55 inch TV? should be 4k and if has inbuilt smart feature that'd be awesome. Androis vs Roku analysis would be awesome too :)
TIA
You should start a separate thread for that.

From now until the end of time, every single TV I use will have a Windows 10 PC driving it so all I need is a LCD Panel with all the Android and Ruku crap ripped out of it along with the stupid 120hz filters and everything else that cause stupid latency.

So, I can't compare Android with Roku except to say one of them is a real O/S that needs a fast CPU with RAM etc. BUt others here will surely have something to say if you make a thread.
[Anyone know where I can buy a 8g NVIDIA card? Preferably 3060, 3060 Ti, 3070 Ti, but used 1080 OK]
Mar 11, 2011
315 posts
126 upvotes
GTA
My 4 year old Vizio 70 inch TV started to flicker when I have Clear Action on.

Looks to be a common issue. I thought it was software related.
I filed a claim through Assurion and a tech came out. I specifically told the tech if it's software and non fixable then I rather leave the TV as-is. He said the backlight may be going so it required repair.

Even though the TV was suppose to be an in home repair due to the size, he said he would take the TV with him to repair at his shop. Is this normal?

He took the TV with him today and I get an email from Assurion that my claim has been 'resolved'.

Did I just get robbed?
Feb 4, 2007
403 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
h3nry8888 wrote: My 4 year old Vizio 70 inch TV started to flicker when I have Clear Action on.

I filed a claim through Assurion and a tech came out. I specifically told the tech if it's software and non fixable then I rather leave the TV as-is. He said the backlight may be going so it required repair.

Even though the TV was suppose to be an in home repair due to the size, he said he would take the TV with him to repair at his shop. Is this normal?

He took the TV with him today and I get an email from Assurion that my claim has been 'resolved'.

Did I just get robbed?
What happened after that? Same thing happened to me. It says my claim is resolved.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3648 posts
2317 upvotes
London
samtheman wrote: What happened after that? Same thing happened to me. It says my claim is resolved.
call the warranty company and ask?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2094 posts
414 upvotes
Brampton
h3nry8888 wrote: My 4 year old Vizio 70 inch TV started to flicker when I have Clear Action on.

Did I just get robbed?

My Hisense TV died more than a yr ago and i filed a warranty claim with Asurion (purchased from Amazon Canada). I'll share my experience:

The Tech taking the TV back to the repair depot is normal in this specific case. They can do more testing at the depot, rather than at the customer's residence. And with my case, the backlight was still running, but my LCD panel died. And i was in touch with the repair guy after a week and he confirmed with me that it was beyond economically repairable. So he sent the papers to Asurion to issue a refund cheque. By the second week, i didn't hear from Asurion. I called them up and they keep saying they're still waiting for the documents from the repair guy to be submitted. This went on for 2 weeks of back and forth. On the end of the fourth week, my patience ran out and reached out to the repair guy to see if he can help me with my case. He seems like a good guy and push the issue on his side to Asurion to issue me the cheque.

Finally, by the fifth week, Asurion got back to me by email and confirmed that they will issue me a refund. So all in all, it took about a month and 2 weeks for me to get my cheque. Personally, it was a shitty experience with the lack of communication from Asurion. They could've sent an email to tell the customer they heard from the repair depot and reviewing the documents.

Now, im not sure if purchasing the ext warranty from Costco will be any different, but im not impressed with Asurion and the way they handle warranty claims.