Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Ubio Labs 10,000mah Power bank + Wall Charger w/ USB-C Cable ($13.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2020 5:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4963 posts
4057 upvotes
Edmonton

[Costco] Ubio Labs 10,000mah Power bank + Wall Charger w/ USB-C Cable ($13.99)

Saw this at Costco Barrhaven (Ottawa). Looks like a good deal to me.
Images
  • PXL_20201212_004625487.jpg
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
61 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
1930 posts
659 upvotes
Solid deal backs by Costco return policy.
Apr 13, 2010
206 posts
343 upvotes
It lacks modern fast charging support (USB-PD, QC), but at this price, it's still worth buying.
Nov 7, 2018
133 posts
167 upvotes
Ottawa
S1 wrote: It lacks modern fast charging support (USB-PD, QC), but at this price, it's still worth buying.
I don't understand the need for fast charging?
The primary use for these first generation powerbanks are convenience, mobility and freedom.
Sure the fast charging ones can do the same but at cost and what are you using to kill your phone or tablet so much?

First generation uses i can think of are:
Ultralight hiking
camping
Hunting
Solo Hiking
Bikepacking
On the go to and from work, home, wherever.

Im just curious as to the benefits of fast over cheap.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
4600 posts
4395 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Seems to me the only thing really "worth it" in this package is the power bank isn't it?

Also if you have an iPhone you can't even use the included cable lol

E: Also never heard of "Ubio Labs" before. Looked them up and they seem to be just another one of these companies (although apparently based in the US) that repackages cheap Chinese electronics, although their markup is absurd compared to all the brands on Amazon.ca we all know and love.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15118 posts
3021 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
BrocIlSerbatoio wrote: I don't understand the need for fast charging?
The primary use for these first generation powerbanks are convenience, mobility and freedom.
Sure the fast charging ones can do the same but at cost and what are you using to kill your phone or tablet so much?

First generation uses i can think of are:
Ultralight hiking
camping
Hunting
Solo Hiking
Bikepacking
On the go to and from work, home, wherever.

USB-PD does not kill batteries.
Jan 27, 2006
27 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Bought this in Jan. Used it ~4 times. Stopped working.
Will return to Costco (as some point)
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2593 posts
2172 upvotes
Montreal, QC
USB-PD is not going to come in at this price (at least not yet) :)
I have a RavPower 20000mAh 60W PD charger (I paid $60, and no tax a while back) and it works great with my HP laptop also.

But at this price, it is great for phones and tablets. Don't need one, but thumbs up for a nice deal.
Jul 9, 2019
154 posts
447 upvotes
BrocIlSerbatoio wrote: I don't understand the need for fast charging?
Power-banks actually make sense only with fast charging.

Scenario 1 - Forgot to charge phone overnight and battery is only 20%? A fast charger can push it up to respectable 70-80% within 20 mins during your commute to work.

Scenario 2 - You are out taking photos and battery dropped to 20% but you are not done with photos, a quick 15-20 minute fast charge can save you from regret of missing capturing memorable moments.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2253 posts
2911 upvotes
Toronto
Hahahapxl wrote: Power-banks actually make sense only with fast charging.

Scenario 1 - Forgot to charge phone overnight and battery is only 20%? A fast charger can push it up to respectable 70-80% within 20 mins during your commute to work.

Scenario 2 - You are out taking photos and battery dropped to 20% but you are not done with photos, a quick 15-20 minute fast charge can save you from regret of missing capturing memorable moments.
for both scenarios, can't you just keep the mobile battery connected? lol... if you are taking the battery with you to charge during your commute to work, why can't you charge it during work? can't take photos with a cable hooked up to the phone? lol...
Dec 23, 2018
14 posts
6 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote: for both scenarios, can't you just keep the mobile battery connected? lol... if you are taking the battery with you to charge during your commute to work, why can't you charge it during work? can't take photos with a cable hooked up to the phone? lol...
not everyone works in an office though or can charge while working. i use my fast charging power bank at least 2-3 times a week.
Apr 8, 2003
334 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
You don't want to be dependent of being connected to a battery while on the road/commute. You want to charge it to a certain level and disconnect it to use while you're not at home. If you ever used your mobile device while plugged into a mobile battery, you know how it's not the ideal scenario and you want to get it to a certain power level and disconnect and continue with your day.
Jul 27, 2017
189 posts
233 upvotes
BrocIlSerbatoio wrote:
Convenience and fast charging saves time. TBH fast charge power banks don't cost that much more, you can definitely find decent ones under $60. This one for example:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08JH2WPS8/

sonyminidiscman wrote:
for both scenarios, can't you just keep the mobile battery connected? lol... if you are taking the battery with you to charge during your commute to work, why can't you charge it during work? can't take photos with a cable hooked up to the phone? lol...
The point is that with a fast charging power bank you won't have to. You are paying more for flexibility and saving time.
Last edited by nochill on Dec 12th, 2020 1:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Apr 8, 2003
334 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
To keep it simple, it's the desire to stay ahead, charge above your usage vs slowly charging while draining your mobile device battery. You really should only consider power banks with fast charge. Any non fast charge battery pack is really meant for emergency last resort scenarios.
sonyminidiscman wrote: for both scenarios, can't you just keep the mobile battery connected? lol... if you are taking the battery with you to charge during your commute to work, why can't you charge it during work? can't take photos with a cable hooked up to the phone? lol...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4963 posts
4057 upvotes
Edmonton
Never thought I'd read such a live and healthy debate about power banks. Awesome!

I have a 20,000mah powerbank which I find too heavy. I rarely need a powerbank for my phone as I'm not a power user. I do however use power banks to charge cameras, and also if I want to do a timelapse I'll keep the camera plugged in. For my use this was a great price and a no brainer purchase.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4810 posts
718 upvotes
Burlington
I own this Costco power bank and been very happy with it. Bought it for $20 and it was a great value compared to the Amazon ones.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1589 posts
857 upvotes
Vancouver
The most likely scenario here is that you can quickly charge in the car or plane and leave it in the car / luggage.

If you have access to an outlet, you will likely just do fast charging from that.

Example: Going skiing or hiking, definitely need a charged phone, don't want to bring a heavy bulky power bank in my jacket or pants. Charge it in the car using power bank on the half hour drive there. On quick charge, you'll get more juice in that timespan.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10117 posts
2746 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Anyone seen them at this price in Montreal?
Oct 30, 2020
97 posts
125 upvotes
I have this one and it rocks.

For $13.99 it's a no brainer.