Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Bellingham Costco (for YVR peeps)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2016 10:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 30, 2007
239 posts
508 upvotes
Terrace

[Costco] Bellingham Costco (for YVR peeps)

Went down to Bellingham Costco last night with my family so I took a few photos. I am decidedly more interested in non-edible products so I did not bother even walking down the food aisles. We only went down for an hour so I didn't have time to take photographs of all the deals...sorry! I figured since so many YVR people go to the Bellingham location (half the parking lot is still Canadian license plates even with the current exchange rate), some fellow RedFlaggers might appreciate these photos.

BTW...some of these photos are of products that are not even on sale...but I took the photos because they are products which are usually not sold here in Canada.

Please note that as of June 20, 2016, Costco US will NOT be accepting AMEX credit cards. They are switching to VISA (unlike Mastercard here in Canada). Furthermore, they will no longer be accepting Canadian cash (I never knew they did before)...but now only US currency will be accepted after June 20, 2016.

In terms of exchange rates...the US dollar is at approximately 1.28 CDN. I paid by Interac (TD). Checking my online banking this morning, they are charging about 1.31 CDN exchange rate (to give you a rough idea). YMMV depending if you use credit card and whether your credit card/bank charges a foreign exchange fee on top of currency exchange.

However as a rough comparison in similar products, the Cyberpower UPS is selling for $99.99 in the US (which would be approximately $131 Canadian after exchange). The same Cyberpower UPS is selling for $139.99 here in Canada. So you can still save money (albeit not a lot) on some similar products after you factor in exchange. I am interested in the products that are not sold here in Canada.

49 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6704 posts
2100 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks OP,I really appreciate it,but I wish you had taken pictures of the TVs.
Silence is the best answer to a fool
Jun 12, 2009
152 posts
17 upvotes
can you use visa right now? im going down tomorrow and itll be really nice so i dont have to buy a cash card before.
Oct 20, 2011
78 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Credit cards usually tag on 2.5% on top of the "official visa" exchange rate. I did some research recently before going on a trip abroad to avoid paying that fee.

You can get the amazon.ca VISA card, no fee, 1% kickback, and to boot, you get a free $20 to spend on amazon. You only pay the official visa exchange rate for any non-Canadian currency, no fee! I saved a ton of money with that free card.

Go to amazon.ca and apply online. Instant approval.
Sep 10, 2008
797 posts
208 upvotes
thanks op. keep it up! i'm also waiting for them to accept visa.
Dec 21, 2003
68 posts
1 upvote
Thanks spacedogg, was looking to compare those hearing aids prices over in canada's costco too.
Oct 20, 2011
78 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
I was in a USA Costco last year, they told me they only accept VISA, and rejected my mastercard.
trilobites wrote: thanks op. keep it up! i'm also waiting for them to accept visa.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2548 posts
1399 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I didn't realize Costco Bellingham accepted CAD currency either.

Anyone know how much the Kerrygold butter is currently going for at Costco Bellingham? TIA!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2001
1226 posts
757 upvotes
Vancouver
AsianXL wrote: I didn't realize Costco Bellingham accepted CAD currency either.
They did, and had the exchange rate posted. However, change was given back in USD.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1484 posts
380 upvotes
yes forever
Jul 15, 2003
698 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
frank4162 wrote: Credit cards usually tag on 2.5% on top of the "official visa" exchange rate. I did some research recently before going on a trip abroad to avoid paying that fee.

You can get the amazon.ca VISA card, no fee, 1% kickback, and to boot, you get a free $20 to spend on amazon. You only pay the official visa exchange rate for any non-Canadian currency, no fee! I saved a ton of money with that free card.

Go to amazon.ca and apply online. Instant approval.
Any other similar but better card for this? Getting tired of paying the fees all the time?

Also, thanks OP for the post.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1917 posts
1778 upvotes
midg8 wrote: Any other similar but better card for this? Getting tired of paying the fees all the time?

Also, thanks OP for the post.
no foreign transaction fees? there are only a few CC in Canada that offer this. I have the chase amazon one. there's the rogers platinum one also. the other chase CC has an annual fee. so yah not many out there but huge advantage
Jul 15, 2003
698 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
karnige wrote: no foreign transaction fees? there are only a few CC in Canada that offer this. I have the chase amazon one. there's the rogers platinum one also. the other chase CC has an annual fee. so yah not many out there but huge advantage
Thanks. I just did a quick search and realized the Marriott card I applied for earlier this week also has no foreign transaction fee. Good for at least a year before I cancel that and look for a replacement.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2007
239 posts
508 upvotes
Terrace
immortal_kssss wrote: Thanks OP,I really appreciate it,but I wish you had taken pictures of the TVs.
Sorry I missed a bunch of other stuff as well. I just didn't have much time as we only went down after work and had to return back in time for our daughter's bedtime.
bluegirl123 wrote: can you use visa right now? im going down tomorrow and itll be really nice so i dont have to buy a cash card before.
No. The switch over is on June 20, 2016. I will bold the date in my original post. For now (today and this Sunday) they accept AMEX only.

Anyone know how much the Kerrygold butter is currently going for at Costco Bellingham? TIA!
As my post states, as of June 20, 2016, they will no longer accept CDN currency. So now you and I will never be able to use CDN currency. Oh well.
redsunsdriver wrote: Thanks OP.
Looking forward to your weekly posts ;)
Haha. I am no tynanwong or Thatdealguy. You won't be seeing weekly updates from me. However, most of the savings/discounts at US Costcos seem to last longer than the standard week for Canadian Costcos. But I may only head down once every few months. :)
karnige wrote: no foreign transaction fees? there are only a few CC in Canada that offer this. I have the chase amazon one. there's the rogers platinum one also. the other chase CC has an annual fee. so yah not many out there but huge advantage
I think the Amazon.ca VISA card is best if you do any Amazon.ca shopping (which practically everyone does). I use it exclusively for all my US online purchases. Another alternative is to open a Bank of America e-account and use their debit card. But from what I remember they have minimum balance requirement in order to not be charged monthly bank charges. So for most people, using the Amazon.ca VISA card is probably most convenient.
May 22, 2008
131 posts
69 upvotes
wait so Costco Canada doesn't limit MasterCard use to the Costco MasterCard?
Blarg