Expired Hot Deals

[Costco US] [USA] HP 14" Laptop FullHD Intel Core i5-1035G4 - NOW USD$260 with Google Shopping - OOS

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2019 12:26 am
[OP]
May 25, 2007
588 posts
249 upvotes
Edmonton

[USA] HP 14" Laptop FullHD Intel Core i5-1035G4 - NOW USD$260 with Google Shopping - OOS

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Costco US
Nov 11: OOS on costco.com but still available in store in the US.

UPDATE: Nov 10
If you have never used Google Shopping, you can use a $20 off promo code on Google shopping to buy this laptop. Still needs a USA shipping address, but I was able to use my Canadian credit card in my Google account. I made a second order as the receiving company I am using is in a tax free state. So my order total will now be USD$259.99 + $4 + reshipping + import duties = somewhere under CAD$400 all in for Alberta !!!!

Instructions to purchase using Google Shopping:
1. Go to google.com
2. Click Settings in bottom right, Search Settings, and change region settings to United States, then Save
3. Go to shopping.google.com, click hamburger menu top left, Stores, Costco Wholesale
4. Navigate through Category on left, Electronics > Computers, Tablets & Accessories > Computers & Tablets > Laptops > scroll till you find the 279.99 HP laptop
5. Add to cart and follow checkout with your Google account / Payment. Be sure to add the promo code NOVSAVE19 at the end. You will also need a costco Membership number.

It seems this laptop is coming with the i5 processor with G4 graphics rather than the i3 G1 as shown in the specs. This has been verified by multiple people on SD. The theory is that Intel is not able to supply enough i3's to its hardware partners and so they are just giving them i5's.

Model Number: 14-dq1033cl
Intel Core i5-1035G4 Verified by quite a few people who either bought in store or online
4GB RAM 2 unsoldered slots for easy upgrading
14" 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) IPS Supposed to be very nice
Non-touchscreen
128 GB SSD Can be upgraded to a bigger NVME drive

Seems like incredible value. One con is a loose touchpad.
Images
  • Annotation 2019-11-09 134359.png
Last edited by ryde or die on Nov 12th, 2019 12:21 am, edited 8 times in total.
Thread Summary
HP 14" Laptop: i5-1035G4, 4GB, 128GB - Tips, Tricks, Tweaks, and Accessories
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 10:32 pm
This is a tough one, folks.

Based on my research so far, I've come to the following conclusions.
(1) The CPU is faster than all recent 2018/2019 last-gen U-Series CPUs (every single one).
(2) The GPU is on par with a Vega 10 (Ryzen 3700U).
(3) 2x SODIMM Upgradeable (RAM Upgradable)
(4) WiFi 6 Upgradeable
(5) NVMe Upgradeable

Reshipping from CrossBorderPickups with added state and provincial taxes and reshipping cost. It's still only...

$500 CAD All-in (approximately)
$442.48 CAD Effective Pre-Tax Ontario

I absolutely need 2-in-1 functionality for presentations and discrete note taking (text, diagrams, etc.), so I'm all-in on my Lenovo Flex 14.

That said, damn, what a deal.

ADDENDUM

Well folks, I did my due diligence, we've heard about the good, now let's hear about the rest.
- Fan Noise: The i5 CPU may need software adjustment to undervolt or meter the performance in light of cooling issues, the cooling was designed for the cooler i3 chip apparently.
- Keyboard: It's flimsy, and flexes when rested up to type. The keys are more mushy than the Lenovo Flex 14 (Lenovo doesn't do bad keyboards, outside of Chromebooks).
- Chassis: Flexes when lifted.
- Screen: It's 250 nits IPS just like the Lenovo Flex 14, early claims that it was amazing were exaggerated, it's about on par with the Lenovo.

Strategies for Mitigating Fan Noise
(1) Install more RAM to mitigate somewhat-CPU intensive SSD caching.
(2) Clean install Windows 10 Professional, it appears the bloat is driving CPU spikes and fan spin.
(3) Run O&O Shutup 10
(4) Create/Use a 'Battery Saver'-esque power plan, but max-out the WiFi card performance.
(5) Optional: Turn down the GUI-ness of Windows 10 .
(6) Go to BIOS and disable 'Fan Always On'.
(7) Task manager -> Startup -> Disable HpseuHostLauncher

Services to Disable
- HP Analytics service [DISABLE]
- HP App Helper HSA Service [DISABLE]
- HP Network HSA Service [DISABLE]
- HP System Info HSA Service [DISABLE]
- Windows Search [OPTIONAL]

HP 14" Laptop: Disassembly for Upgrade
From Slickdeals:
Slickdeals dude reposted via RFDGuy

Removing the back cover to do upgrades:
There are 8 Philips-head screws altogether, all on the back cover. 4 of them are underneath the two rubber strips. The rubber strips are attached using a strong adhesive, so be careful when removing them. You'll need a pretty thin plastic spudger to detach all the clips holding the bottom cover to the laptop. A credit card may be too thick. Photos of the inside of the laptop, the inside of the back cover, the screw locations, and where to use the spudger to remove the back cover: https://imgur.com/a/zXufcNv

CPU:
The CPU is indeed an i5-1035G4. I got two of them in Los Angeles and both have this CPU. At first I couldn't believe it, but I ran CPU-Z and it's definitely confirmed. This CPU runs at 1.1 GHz, but I ran a benchmarking program and it said the CPU is clocked at 1.5GHz. It also said that Windows was throttling the CPU at 73%. 73% of 1.5GHz is 1.1GHz. Not sure what all that means as I'm not really familiar with benchmarking software or system tuning.

One point of concern is that in the pre-installed HP Support Assistant app as well as on the motherboard it says "model number 14-dq1033cl". The spec sheet for that model on the HP website says the CPU is an Intel® Core™ i3-1005G1. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06463284 Not sure what would happen if this computer needs a warranty motherboard/CPU replacement. if you check Windows System Information for the model number, it says "HP Laptop 14-dq1xxx".

Intel has had a lot of production problems with these 10nm Ice Lake chips. My theory on why this system has this upgraded CPU is that at the last minute Intel had trouble supplying the lower-end i3 chips so they just used these i5 chips. HP would not normally pair this CPU with such little memory and slow SATA storage.

Integrated Graphics:
The new Ice Lake CPUs come with 3 integrated graphics options, as indicated by the last 2 characters in the CPU's model number:
- G1, basic
- G4, intermediate <<<<<
- G7, highest level

G4 and G7 are labeled Iris Plus Graphics. This model has G4 graphics.

Storage:
The laptop comes with a M.2 SATA interface SSD, but I replaced it with a HP EX920 1TB NVMe SSD. The new SSD works just fine, so this laptop is compatible with NVMe drives. I ran a backup using Macrium Reflect running on the laptop's Windows installation and then restored the image to the new drive using a Macrium-created recovery thumb drive. However, the new SSD but it wouldn't boot using this method. So I created a USB recovery drive in Windows and reinstalled Windows to the new SSD using that. Had to reinstall all the software and re-configure everything because this method puts in a fresh Windows installation. Hit ESC at power-on to go into the BIOS menu. One thing I should have tried was running the initial backup using the Macrium Reflect recovery thumb drive, then restoring the image using the same thumb drive program. That may have worked and would have helped me avoid setting up Windows again.

There is a space next to the battery where a 2.5" drive would fit, but if you look at the photo I attached of the inside of the back cover you'll see that there's a lattice-like grid on it to give that empty space some rigidity. I haven't tried, but it looks like you cannot put a 2.5" drive there.

Memory:
There are 2 upgradable SODIMM slots. No DRAM is soldered to the motherboard. The laptop comes with a single 4GB SODIMM, and 1 empty slot. I installed Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) SR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT2K8G4SFS8266 and it works well. The Crucial website actually recommends DDR4 3200, but the 4GB SODIMM that came with the laptop is DDR4 2666.

WiFi/Bluetooth - Support for WiFi 6:
This laptop will work with an Intel WiFi AX200 WiFi 6 + Bluetooth 5 module. Ice Lake chips have that support built in, but sometimes manufacturers like to remove that capability. That's not the case here, so if you're nervous about the Realtek Wifi AC+Bluetooth module that comes with the laptop, you can replace it with an AX200. You're gonna need to have the AX200 driver on a thumb drive before you install the WiFi module, as you won't be able to connect to the internet to download the new driver after you replace the Realtek module. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... Fi-6-AX200

No USB-C charging or DisplayPort/HDMI output via USB-C:
As per the specs, the USB-C port doesn't have Power Delivery or Extended USB-C capabilities (namely DisplayPort & HDMI output). So essentially the USB-C port functions like a regular USB 3.0 Type-A port. That being said, I have not tested this because I don't have a USB-C hub that uses PD or Extended USB-C. The description for the CPU on this system is wrong on both HP's website and at Costco, so maybe it's wrong on other specs as well. Hopefully someone can test the USB-C port functionality and report back.

DisplayLink bug:
If you have one of those popular DisplayLink USB 3.0 docking stations, there's a bug with Chrome's hardware acceleration mode that causes a lot of lag. on screens that are driven by the DisplayLink device. To fix it, you load the latest Intel graphics driver. HP blocks the usual method of running the downloaded executable, so you will have to download the ZIP file and then install it in Device Manager.
Intel graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... uct=197599
Special instructions for installing the driver (regular method won't work): https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/ ... ivers.html

Changing from Windows 10 Home S Mode to regular Windows 10 Home:
Instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -of-s-mode
Also, the BIOS it came with is F.04, which looked like the most current version. I downloaded it from the HP website and installed it anyway for good measure. After I did that, it reverted my Windows installation back to S Mode, and I could not get it to switch out of S mode. I had to reset Windows and then I was able to switch it out of S mode again.

Fan noise
I've been using two of these laptops for several days now. I'm pretty sensitive to fan noise because my prior laptop has a very quiet fan, even at its highest speed. The fan on this HP seems to have two or three speeds. The lowest speed I can only hear if I put my ear to the unit. I'm not even sure there is a low fan speed- I may just be hearing the components hum. The medium setting I find noticeable but not a big deal since I usually have music or a podcast on when I'm working. The high setting definitely is distracting. Both of my units have a very faint high-pitched whine when the fan is spinning at high, slightly more noticeable on one unit than the other.

After all the setting up and updating is done, when you're just using it, the fan doesn't ramp up that often. And when it does turn on, it doesn't stay on medium or high speed for very long. It runs quiet 90-95% of the time for me. This is for regular web browsing and office apps, either on my lap or on my desk connected to a DisplayLink device driving two 1920x1200 displays and a bunch of peripherals. When it's on my desk it's on a stand that's open underneath to allow for ventilation.

Loose and rattling touchpad
One of my units came with a loose touchpad that made a clicking sound when I tapped on it very lightly. Here's how to fix a loose touchpad on this unit: https://imgur.com/a/zXufcNv Start with the photo that says "Removing the battery"

Proof of CPU
267 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1264 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
10th Gen Intel® Core™ i3-1005G1 Processor at 1.2GHz

Will try if it's I5
Simple is the best.
Aug 24, 2018
264 posts
215 upvotes
Langley BC
Looks like a great deal if you are close to the boarder.
Koodo $35 5 Gig deal (x2)
Aug 24, 2018
264 posts
215 upvotes
Langley BC
Could order one to a us mailbox and when you pick it up you could start a Costco return if it's not the i5....
Koodo $35 5 Gig deal (x2)
Nov 6, 2016
822 posts
779 upvotes
There must be a US based deal website for posts like these? Most of us can't get a US only deal so I'm confused why these posts keep popping up on a Canadian deals website.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
11556 posts
11818 upvotes
indeals wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 1:52 pm
There must be a US based deal website for posts like these? Most of us can't get a US only deal so I'm confused why these posts keep popping up on a Canadian deals website.
US credit cards and reshipping addresses. I'm also frequently in Niagara, border hopping is easy.

This deal is unfortunately Ambien, though.

edit: Did I say Ambien? I meant Adderall.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Nov 9th, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
May 25, 2007
588 posts
249 upvotes
Edmonton
DonM28020 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 1:48 pm
Could order one to a us mailbox and when you pick it up you could start a Costco return if it's not the i5....
I don't think so, as the box and even the manufacturer website for this part says it is an i3 but everyone so far on SlickDeals has gotten the i5 version. So, unless I had someone personally checking the item before it came to Canada, I would probably skip this deal.
Sep 19, 2009
217 posts
90 upvotes
indeals wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 1:52 pm
I understand your apprehensiveness, I wouldn't want posts like these to herald the beginning of this subforum getting flooded with US only deals. Perhaps we could get another sub forum of Hot Deals (US)?
Nov 6, 2016
822 posts
779 upvotes
Arkv wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 1:57 pm
I understand your apprehensiveness, I wouldn't want posts like these to herald the beginning of this subforum getting flooded with US only deals. Perhaps we could get another sub forum of Hot Deals (US)?
I like that idea, maybe mods can help forward it on to make it happen.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)