Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Venturi Spiral Flame Patio Heater ($375)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2021 10:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1768 posts
1304 upvotes

[Costco] Venturi Spiral Flame Patio Heater ($375)

I have the same or very similar heater which I bought last year BNIB on Kijiji from someone who got one for free from Wayfair. This is a great price and the heater looks spectacular. Note that it is not extremely hot so it's not for winter or later fall but rather for chilly early fall and summer evenings. It is for propane only but it is extremely easy to convert to natural gas. All you need is a drill with a tiny drillbit and some foiltape.
The photos are from Costco Guelph.
This thing is absolutely beautiful to watch and to use as a light. The first time I hooked it up I stared at it for 3 hours straight.
Images
  • IMG_20210828_123216_copy_1039x1389.jpg
  • IMG_20210828_123210_copy_987x1319.jpg
  • IMG_20210828_123203_copy_1125x1504.jpg
Last edited by elfion on Aug 28th, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
10258 posts
3763 upvotes
All you need is a drill with a tiny drillbit and some foiltape
That sounds legit. I used a proper conversion kit from propane to natural gas for my fire-table, but I guess to each his own
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1768 posts
1304 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: That sounds legit. I used a proper conversion kit from propane to natural gas for my fire-table, but I guess to each his own
It is legit. What do you think a converter is? It's the
exact same part (like a tiny copper nozzle) with a slightly larger hole. The foil is to close off an air intake hole in a part that doesn't heat up. If you don't do it then the flame will look crappy (blue instead of orange).
It's not rocket science. Propane from a tank comes out under a lot of pressure. The natural gas from the pipe is coming with very low pressure. Therefore you need a bigger hole for natural gas. So you take out the burner (looks like a tiny copper fitting similar to those used for water plumbing or a nut maybe) and you see a tiny hole. And then you make the hole a little bigger. How much bigger? You get a drillbit set and you find the next bigger drillbit and you try if this is enough. It needs to be maybe about 1.5 times larger in diameter, but dont quote me on this. That's all there is to it. And then you also see these large holes for mixing in air in the sides of the bigger pipe that the burner is screwed into. You simply tape them. And then it works perfectly. If you don't tape them nothing bad will happen..it's just not going to look how it's supposed to look
Last edited by elfion on Aug 28th, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5746 posts
3090 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
We bought one of these 2 years ago and have been happy with it. We use it on our covered patio and are pretty content with the heat in to later fall for sure.

If there's one complaint I have it is that it starts to rust very quickly. We store ours in the garage during winter and summer as we don't use it then and during spring and fall it is completely sheltered from direct rain however less than a year in there was noticeable rust on a lot of the unpainted metal. It seems to be a a low grade material.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1768 posts
1304 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote: We bought one of these 2 years ago and have been happy with it. We use it on our covered patio and are pretty content with the heat in to later fall for sure.

If there's one complaint I have it is that it starts to rust very quickly. We store ours in the garage during winter and summer as we don't use it then and during spring and fall it is completely sheltered from direct rain however less than a year in there was noticeable rust on a lot of the unpainted metal. It seems to be a a low grade material.
Just checked, mine is the same brand and I do see a tiny bit of rust but only on the latches. Can just paint them or something but it doesn't bother me so far. I store it on the patio and I cover it for the winter
Apr 13, 2020
32 posts
48 upvotes
Lol..
The summary fix in the original post sounded a little like something out of the Red Green Show but your explanation makes sense.
Thanks for explaining.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
10258 posts
3763 upvotes
elfion wrote: It is legit. What do you think a converter is? It's the
exact same part (like a tiny copper nozzle) with a slightly larger hole. The foil is to close off an air intake hole in a part that doesn't heat up. If you don't do it then the flame will look crappy (blue instead of orange).
It's not rocket science. Propane from a tank comes out under a lot of pressure. The natural gas from the pipe is coming with very low pressure. Therefore you need a bigger hole for natural gas. So you take out the burner (looks like a tiny copper fitting similar to those used for water plumbing or a nut maybe) and you see a tiny hole. And then you make the hole a little bigger. How much bigger? You get a drillbit set and you find the next bigger drillbit and you try if this is enough. It needs to be maybe about 1.5 times larger in diameter, but dont quote me on this. That's all there is to it. And then you also see these large holes for mixing in air in the sides of the bigger pipe that the burner is screwed into. You simply tape them. And then it works perfectly. If you don't tape them nothing bad will happen..it's just not going to look how it's supposed to look
Bruh..... I was j/k can't believe you made this elaborate post, lol. I still recommend the conversion kit, for the quick disconnect coupler convenience if nothing else.

Edit:
WTF..Who gives this thread a down vote for "poor merchant reputation"
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1768 posts
1304 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: Bruh..... I was j/k can't believe you made this elaborate post, lol. I still recommend the conversion kit, for the quick disconnect coupler convenience if nothing else.

Edit:
WTF..Who gives this thread a down vote for "poor merchant reputation"
and it was a little funny admittedly, yes. but some people can take it the wrong way. There is a bit too much stigma around gas. Even I thought about the conversation process as something mysterious before I realized that it literally takes 30 minutes to do. To each its own like you said but to me slightly modifying the part I know will definitely fit the thread is easier than any conversion kit. But maybe others feel differently
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
2105 posts
1650 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Fuel conversion is a part of the trade, it’s taught in school. You use a numbered bit and a chart to determine what size to move up to in order to match the firing rate of the previous fuel.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1768 posts
1304 upvotes
rob187 wrote: Fuel conversion is a part of the trade, it’s taught in school. You use a numbered bit and a chart to determine what size to move up to in order to match the firing rate of the previous fuel.
I did that actually. And not sure what I did know or maybe the table was not in line with the gas specs but my estimate ended up being higher than needed. which is why I was happy that I followed advice from a guy on YouTube and went with the lowest possible increments. For me 1 or 2 sizes up was enough.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)