[Costco] Vitamix E320 Explorian Blender $349.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2019 2:55 pm
[OP]
Oct 18, 2016
7 posts
10 upvotes

[Costco] Vitamix E320 Explorian Blender $349.99

The Vitamix E320 Explorian blender is $100 off at Costco this week. This is one of the lowest prices I've seen for this blender.

Does anybody have thoughts on this model compared to the model that came with the $600 package deal that Costco offered a few months ago during the Vitamix roadshow? I recall the blender with that deal had a few more bells & whistles and it came with a few more containers/bowls.
22 replies
Apr 18, 2019
216 posts
475 upvotes
Montreal
alohamahalo wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 8:41 pm
The Vitamix E320 Explorian blender is $100 off at Costco this week. This is one of the lowest prices I've seen for this blender.

Does anybody have thoughts on this model compared to the model that came with the $600 package deal that Costco offered a few months ago during the Vitamix roadshow? I recall the blender with that deal had a few more bells & whistles and it came with a few more containers/bowls.

https://www.amazon.com/Blender-Cleanble ... B0094B94BM

Better option IMHO
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4252 posts
1314 upvotes
I have an older Vitamix with a much larger container and a bunch of features (soup etc) that are mostly unnecessary. 99% of the time you're going to use either just turn the dial and slowly ramp it up to a higher speed or you're going to use pulse. So you're not really missing out there. I got mine for around $299 on the Refurbished Groupon deal that I know a bunch of RFDers pounced on too and we probably stacked it with eBates or GCR for another +10%. Typically, I'd recommend people grab the refurb one which has a 5 yr warranty and basically comes in looking brand new, but honestly they are higher priced than this (presently) and with a coupon you'd only save like $20 or less vs new.

Outside of the smaller container being potentially annoying for people like myself who prefer to make larger servings of pretty much everything, but mostly talking about smoothies where I toss like 5 or 6 glasses in the fridge and drink over the course of 3 days (w/ partner), this smaller size will still mostly get the job done for most.

I mostly use this for smoothies, rice milk, and just mixing my protein shakes. I know some people make peanut butter or "ice cream" (whatever variant they make in this), but the latter will probably get old quickly, same with soups. So I'd mostly recommend it for smoothie drinkers who want to toss in fruits or veggies, especially frozen, and just want it completely pulverized and liquefied. +$300 is a lot more debatable for infrequent uses.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5117 posts
1174 upvotes
RiCHC3 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 9:55 pm
I have an older Vitamix with a much larger container and a bunch of features (soup etc) that are mostly unnecessary. 99% of the time you're going to use either just turn the dial and slowly ramp it up to a higher speed or you're going to use pulse. So you're not really missing out there. I got mine for around $299 on the Refurbished Groupon deal that I know a bunch of RFDers pounced on too and we probably stacked it with eBates or GCR for another +10%. Typically, I'd recommend people grab the refurb one which has a 5 yr warranty and basically comes in looking brand new, but honestly they are higher priced than this (presently) and with a coupon you'd only save like $20 or less vs new.

Outside of the smaller container being potentially annoying for people like myself who prefer to make larger servings of pretty much everything, but mostly talking about smoothies where I toss like 5 or 6 glasses in the fridge and drink over the course of 3 days (w/ partner), this smaller size will still mostly get the job done for most.

I mostly use this for smoothies, rice milk, and just mixing my protein shakes. I know some people make peanut butter or "ice cream" (whatever variant they make in this), but the latter will probably get old quickly, same with soups. So I'd mostly recommend it for smoothie drinkers who want to toss in fruits or veggies, especially frozen, and just want it completely pulverized and liquefied. +$300 is a lot more debatable for infrequent uses.
This is the newer low-profile container that's shorter but wider, so it's still 64oz, which is the largest size Vitamix offers.
Dec 22, 2011
257 posts
119 upvotes
Vitamix or blendtec

Both on sale
vitamix is lowest price ever seen
Blendtec at this price once a while
3BE1E7D6-6D2A-4F09-A29E-4AF3A3912B27.jpeg
D7B74264-7794-4AB3-B957-E74502C2B50F.jpeg
Dec 10, 2012
164 posts
48 upvotes
NORTH YORK
battlezone wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 10:08 pm
Vitamix or blendtec

Both on sale

3BE1E7D6-6D2A-4F09-A29E-4AF3A3912B27.jpegD7B74264-7794-4AB3-B957-E74502C2B50F.jpeg
Which is the better of the two
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2724 posts
1035 upvotes
Leshaundon wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 9:38 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Blender-Cleanble ... B0094B94BM

Better option IMHO
.COM (usd $)
battlezone wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 10:08 pm
Vitamix or blendtec

Both on sale

3BE1E7D6-6D2A-4F09-A29E-4AF3A3912B27.jpegD7B74264-7794-4AB3-B957-E74502C2B50F.jpeg
There will never be a definitive answer to this question, just opinions - and here's mine:

I had a Blendtec and Vitamix side by side for a week or so and ended up keeping the Blendtec. The Vitamix looks and feels like it's built better, plus I don't care for Blendtec's digital layout, but I thought that the Blendtec made better smoothies which is the vast majority of my blender usage. The downside to the Blendtec is that it may move around on the countertop if you use it with a full jar. The Vitamix is heavier and less likely to move around, plus having the shorter, wider jar should make it less likely still. When I had the Vitamix, it was the taller jar model. I would be curious to try the shorter jar. It is supposed to be an improvement from what I've read. Both are solid choices. That Blendtec model seems to go on sale fairly often for $300 whereas the Vitamix only goes on sale once or twice a year from what I've seen. Based on that, maybe go with the Vitamix. If there is something you don't like about it, you can return it to Costco and should be able to find the Blendtec on sale again without having to wait too long.
Last edited by SizzleChest on Jun 24th, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 23, 2019
105 posts
46 upvotes
Leafs Nation
This VitaMix has a 64 oz. jar as well. It's just the low-profile jar. My "old-school" jar is just taller but equivalent volume.
Dec 22, 2011
257 posts
119 upvotes
hkhorace wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 10:40 pm
Which is the better of the two
I would like to pick up a vitamix tomorrow

Reason one top have a hole to push things down during blending
Reason 2 manual speeds control from slow to high

For blendtac is just button for one thing. See photo

When blending area is empty ,you have to stop and push things down and start again.
Blendtac
Ice smoothies is 35 seconds. Easy to use.

Images
  • AEA74122-5A19-40A9-BC48-AC3282BC43FA.jpeg
Last edited by battlezone on Jun 24th, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2724 posts
1035 upvotes
battlezone wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 11:18 pm
I would like to pick up a vitamix tomorrow

Reason one top have a hole to push things down during blending
Reason 2 manual speeds control from slow to high

For blendtac is just button for one thing. See photo

When blending area is empty ,you have to stop and push things down and start again.
I might be wrong, but there should be a manual setting with that Blendtec model that can be controlled with the + and - buttons.
Air pockets can happen in either blender and I suppose that stopping the Blendtec is the safe way of doing it, but I've used a spoon many times while in use without contacting the blades. You could make your own tamper for the Blendtec as well if you wanted to.
Dec 22, 2011
257 posts
119 upvotes
Blendtec blender is ok! Depends how you want to use.
One button or control everything you self

Common problem for blendtac is the jar!
leaking water when seal rubber get old or you make something hot.
Broke 2 of them ,blendtac offers free jar if you are in warranty. Jar only not the machine.many videos can be found on youtube
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2042 posts
397 upvotes
alohamahalo wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 8:41 pm
Does anybody have thoughts on this model compared to the model that came with the $600 package deal
Nobody can decide for anyone else if they want the soup/smoothie/cleaning presets. Personally I like having them. If I didn't have them then I would need to do a little more manual fiddling. I would need to keep an eye on the clock for a minute or whatever for the cleaning cycle. I would need to manually monitor the smoothie making process, which I usually do anyway. For most people I don't think they'd give much of a **** for the presets, but I do like having them, though I wouldn't tell you that they're worth $300 or whatever.
Nov 24, 2017
109 posts
40 upvotes
I have a Vitamix that cost twice this but to be honest, I wouldnt have thought twice about buying this one had it been on sale at the time.
Nov 23, 2017
997 posts
1965 upvotes
While the price is attractive a few things on this model that are not as good as the typical vitamixes are:

-low profile container that comes with explorian is slightly less effective at blending than the standard tall skinny container
-lack of a master kill switch
-No programs

At $350 This is a great price, and if you can live with the items above this is a great deal.