• Feb 20th, 2018 11:03 am
[OP]
Dec 25, 2012
43 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Vizio 70-in 4K Ultra HD HDR Google Home Compatible 1399$ In-Store

Hey guys,
I saw this deal at Costco yesterday (in-store) and thought it was a pretty good price for a 70-inch TV.
Costco is pretty low key about it but when I bought it at the counter, the cash registry showed that it was actually 375$ off from the original price.
It is same deal as this TV online: https://www.costco.ca/Vizio-E70-E3-70-i ... 23605.html
But it's 100$ cheaper in-store.
HDR and google home compatible.
Cheers!

Edit: I was enlightened by some of the replies below, seems like this TV is HDR compatible but does not have the full color gamut or peak brightness to bring out true HDR colors that [more expensive, AKA $3.5k+] higher end TVs are capable of, something to keep in mind if you want the best TV on the market.
Last edited by kfactor08 on Feb 19th, 2018 11:36 am, edited 8 times in total.
30 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1415 posts
1631 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Good deal... Especially since it's from Costco. I'd probably spring for the extended warranty since it's Vizio, not Sony or LG or Samsung.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2003
1083 posts
429 upvotes
Does this tv have only 1 HDMI 2.0 port like the m series?
[OP]
Dec 25, 2012
43 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
There are 4 HDMI ports but I believe that you're right, only one of them is HDMI 2.0 with the other three being HDMI 1.4

Im sure other experts can weigh in but that's what I have gathered based on the following references:

1) https://www.displayspecifications.com/e ... n/d23bd86b
2) https://www.smartreview.com/vizio-4k-tv ... on-reviews
Last edited by kfactor08 on Feb 19th, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 20, 2011
275 posts
178 upvotes
NORTH YORK
How is.it compared to the p series and x900e?
[OP]
Dec 25, 2012
43 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
awsometruth wrote: How is.it compared to the p series and x900e?
escalade wrote: Inferior
P series and x900e don't come in 70 inch in Canada.

However, the P series does come in 75 inch with a price tag of 5000$ if you're interested:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/vi ... 47942.aspx

Same with Sony x900e which also comes in 75 inch with a price tag of 4000$:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... 84570.aspx

If you're a baller and want to pay 2.5-3x more for a superior product, why not? Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3246 posts
999 upvotes
BC
Bigboy16 wrote: Good deal... Especially since it's from Costco. I'd probably spring for the extended warranty since it's Vizio, not Sony or LG or Samsung.
Lol, it not being a Samsung is a good reason not to bother with a warranty.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4191 posts
1298 upvotes
Vancouver
Obviously you will sacrifice picture quality for size in this case. Based on RTings review, nothing stands out from a PQ-perspective- poor peak brightness, poor color gamut, poor use of full-array lighting but it is a BFTV (big). As long as you're aware you're not going to be taking advantage of any HDR content I think you'll be quite impressed with the quality of 4K vs 1080P at this size. If eye-popping colors and brightness after calibration is your thing, this is probably not the TV for you.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1721 posts
982 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
This is not an HDR tv in anyway. It barely has enough peak brightness to be a living room tv.
Last edited by brobinsoncc on Feb 19th, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2012
43 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
brobinsoncc wrote: This is not an HDR tv in anyway. It badly has enough peak brightness to be a living room tv.
How is this not an HDR TV? Please do enlighten me

Did you even bother looking at the product page? (They specifically spell out "High Dynamic Range" in the product description)
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3994 posts
2515 upvotes
Vancouver
awsometruth wrote: How is.it compared to the p series and x900e?
The only real comparable to this is sony x690e, which was this price boxing week (70”). There really arent many 70” tv since its 65 then 75 for most models.
Nov 5, 2009
596 posts
237 upvotes
GTA
kfactor08 wrote: How is this not an HDR TV? Please do enlighten me

Did you even bother looking at the product page? (They specifically spell out "High Dynamic Range" in the product description)
"Standard color gamut. This TV cannot properly show HDR colors, its gamut is only good enough for showing Rec 709 colors in standard content."

rtings.com
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1721 posts
982 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
MotorN wrote: "Standard color gamut. This TV cannot properly show HDR colors, its gamut is only good enough for showing Rec 709 colors in standard content."

rtings.com
Plus its peak brightness is a quarter of what is required for true HDR. All a tv has to do to say HDR on the box is that it has to accept an HDR signal. It doesn’t have to display it. It’s all a big joke.

From rtings

“Poor SDR peak brightness. This TV does not get bright enough to take advantage of the increased brightness range of HDR content, so very bright features in scenes will not be much brighter than the rest of the scene as the content creator intended. Bright highlights in dark scenes will actually be dimmed because of how this TV's local dimming functions, as seen in our 2% and 10% white window tests. This is unlike the local dimming of most TVs, which brightens highlights.”
Last edited by brobinsoncc on Feb 19th, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2012
43 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
MotorN wrote: "Standard color gamut. This TV cannot properly show HDR colors, its gamut is only good enough for showing Rec 709 colors in standard content."

rtings.com
brobinsoncc wrote: Plus its peak brightness is a quarter of what is required for true HDR. All a tv has to do to say HDR on the box is that it has to accept an HDR signal. It doesn’t have to display it. It’s all a big joke.
Thanks! These comments were quite insightful!
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4191 posts
1298 upvotes
Vancouver
kfactor08 wrote: How is this not an HDR TV? Please do enlighten me

HDR-compatible (which almost every TV set is these days) is very different than being HDR-capable. This set appears (based on RTings review) to only be able to produce around ~200 nits peak brightness which is quite dim, especially for daytime/bright room viewing. True HDR targets at least 1000 nits at peak brightness and a panel capable of at least reproducing a wide color gamut (for high-end TVs, maybe >95% of P3 color space and >70% of 2020 space) but it's hard to come by a TV these kinds of specs today. For a mid-tier "HDR" TV, you'd be looking at at least 500+ nits brightness and numbers close to the color reproduction % I just gave.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2003
1083 posts
429 upvotes
kfactor08 wrote: There are 4 HDMI ports but I believe that you're right, only one of them is HDMI 2.0 with the other three being HDMI 1.4

Im sure other experts can weigh in but that's what I have gathered based on the following references:

1) https://www.displayspecifications.com/e ... n/d23bd86b
2) https://www.smartreview.com/vizio-4k-tv ... on-reviews
This is extremely annoying. The M series is far superior to the Sony x90e, Samsung 6200, Samsung 7000, any LG non oled, or these hisense tvs. Yet those tvs all come with hdmi 2.0