• Jul 24th, 2019 4:28 pm
Sep 2, 2018
819 posts
790 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Gord18Stirr wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 12:34 pm
I bought it, hopefully I won't regret it :/
I'm going to pull the trigger as well. Plus the warranty, of course.
Mar 26, 2017
270 posts
141 upvotes
sid8tive wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 3:50 pm
I'm going to pull the trigger as well. Plus the warranty, of course.

Does anyone know if I can buy the warranty after the fact?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
46863 posts
4863 upvotes
Toronto
Gord18Stirr wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 4:01 pm
Does anyone know if I can buy the warranty after the fact?
Yes! Within 90 days of purchasing the TV you can decide to get it or not. You can also get it refunded within 90 days of activating the warranty for your money back.

https://www.costco.ca/Excellence-Plus%2 ... 70663.html
Jan 7, 2017
58 posts
81 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 4:03 pm
Yes! Within 90 days of purchasing the TV you can decide to get it or not. You can also get it refunded within 90 days of activating the warranty for your money back.

https://www.costco.ca/Excellence-Plus%2 ... 70663.html
My Vizio p series broke today after owning it for 7 months, called Vizio and had bad experience with customer service, they are going to send parts and then a technician will call me to schedule an appointment. Not happy with my tv as this is the second issue I’ve had. Just sharing my experience with Vizio.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
46863 posts
4863 upvotes
Toronto
Monktanna wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 6:05 pm
My Vizio p series broke today after owning it for 7 months, called Vizio and had bad experience with customer service, they are going to send parts and then a technician will call me to schedule an appointment. Not happy with my tv as this is the second issue I’ve had. Just sharing my experience with Vizio.
Just curious but did you buy the extended warranty?
Jan 7, 2017
58 posts
81 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 6:07 pm
Just curious but did you buy the extended warranty?
Yes I did, but since it’s still under a year old it’s covered under the manufacturers warranty....might have to buy another tv and return it after the repair. 90 day return policy at Costco, I wouldn’t typically do that but I feel that after two issues in a year they owe me a rental tv for a month.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
46863 posts
4863 upvotes
Toronto
Monktanna wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 6:34 pm
Yes I did, but since it’s still under a year old it’s covered under the manufacturers warranty....might have to buy another tv and return it after the repair. 90 day return policy at Costco, I wouldn’t typically do that but I feel that after two issues in a year they owe me a rental tv for a month.
90 days is 3 months not sure if they're going to allow a 7 month old return. Costco does give you an extra year of warranty, i don't think they're at fault here therefore shouldn't be punished.
Jan 7, 2017
58 posts
81 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 6:36 pm
90 days is 3 months not sure if they're going to allow a 7 month old return. Costco does give you an extra year of warranty, i don't think they're at fault here therefore shouldn't be punished.
No I mean buy one and return it after my Tv has been repaired. The repair should be done well before 90 days.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
46863 posts
4863 upvotes
Toronto
vancdeals wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 1:19 am
Any video calibration settings recommendations for this tv?
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions ... -settings/

I found that. Well known TV reviewer, i copied his settings and it looks better. Just the TV settings though, not the color calibration though.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
46863 posts
4863 upvotes
Toronto
This deal is expired.

My initial thoughts of this TV:

Worth the $1050 price tag when on sale, at the regular price i'd have to compare it with the TV's in the $1500 range. In the price range of $1000 and 65" inch the other contender would be the TCL 6 Series 65" but that wasn't stocked at my Costco (only 55"). The TCL 6 Series and M658 are similarly reviewed in rating but since the M658 was on sale i figured i'd get that because who likes paying full price on anything!? 2019 model vs 2018 also, with the Vizio M658 you get the new quantum dot tech. Specs on the Costco.ca site says it's 120Hz native refresh rate, it is indeed NOT (it's 60Hz).

The colors are accurate like the reviews i saw said, but the panel apparently is dimmer than others and maybe even slightly dimmer than the TCL 6 Series. So it's up to preference if you want more accurate colors at a slightly dimmer screen or to have a brighter panel but slightly blown out colors. With that said you can just bump up the settings on the Vizio to achieve brighter colors. I don't know dog poop about TV calibration settings but the CNET review i saw from a well known TV reviewer showed his so i just copied that lol (not the actual picture calibrator).

The Vizio's UI and Smart TV interface (Netflix, other apps) is quite slow, doesn't load in fluid motion. This is not a problem for me since i use this TV with my PC hooked (not as a monitor) up most of the times but it is noticeable. I'm spoiled, i use a 144Hz monitor so maybe that's why it's so not smooth slow for me.

Vizio is tricky, they have different variants of the 2019 M-Series Quantum. A couple of the models come at a lower price point but way lower TV specs that makes other options the preferred choice.

Rtings.com hasn't come out with a review yet for this model but they're working on it. With that said i want to see what TCL comes out with this year considering how good their 2018 6 Series was.

CNET Review - https://www.cnet.com/reviews/vizio-m658-g1-review/. Explains what i mean by the different tier of models with drastically different specifications in the same M Quantum series.

PS: First 4K TV for a tech savvy guy that knows what to look for though!
Jan 12, 2007
249 posts
30 upvotes
One tip for those who bought - set it up as US home location then you'll be able to access more programming via smartcast (not all). I had it first as Cdn first then a lot of content was blocked then I reset the TV to US.. BTW their also firmware update..

Decent TV.. Need to tweak colors a bit more..
Apr 7, 2011
624 posts
377 upvotes
ottawa
vancdeals wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:39 pm
One tip for those who bought - set it up as US home location then you'll be able to access more programming via smartcast (not all). I had it first as Cdn first then a lot of content was blocked then I reset the TV to US.. BTW their also firmware update..

Decent TV.. Need to tweak colors a bit more..
Would that give you access to Netflix US as well? Doubt it, but still..
Jan 12, 2007
249 posts
30 upvotes
stcv3 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 3:06 pm
Would that give you access to Netflix US as well? Doubt it, but still..
I haven't tried as I am going through Shaw box which works well. I really doubt that Vizio s/w would be able to trick Netflix, all those DNS co no longer exist after Netflix geo blocking..
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
46863 posts
4863 upvotes
Toronto
I noticed something but I don't know how to explain it but imagine rows of orange hue blood dripping down the screen in like 10 inch gaps. The panel shows orange hue thick lines that come from the top half to mid half of the screen.

I didn't inspect it at a close range, was at viewing range and it was noticeable if you tried to look for it after seeing it once. It is not artifact lines that run from the top to the bottom of the screen.. Hard to explain.

Was watching Planet Earth on Netflix.