[OP]
Dec 9, 2013
450 posts
217 upvotes
Surrey

[Costco] Vizio SB36512-F6 (Dolby Atmos Version) - 499$

Hey everybody,

The Vizio SB36512-F6 Dolby atmos Soundbar is BACK on sale at costco for 499$

it's usually 599$, and it was 399$ on black friday only, Don't expect to see that price again, as the developers said that it was sold so fast, they could not keep up with demand.

499$ is a fantastic price for a great and cheap Atmos Soundbar.

It does have a few issues with connections, especially with the ARK, but it's fixable.

Reviews are solid.
32 replies
May 1, 2007
210 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
yondaime604 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 5:18 pm
it's usually 599$, and it was 399$ on black friday only, Don't expect to see that price again, as the developers said that it was sold so fast, they could not keep up with demand.
Interesting, where did you hear that?

I think I am waiting for $399 or just holding out for the 2019 version replacing this one which adds the the upfiring to the surrounds for 5.1.4(SB36514) and maybe catching this one on clearance or the Black Friday sale on the new model.
Dec 28, 2006
801 posts
265 upvotes
Nice price since I haven't seen it drop for so long, but hard to bite after watching that $399 price pass me by. Hindsight is always 20/20
Apr 1, 2015
90 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How does this compare to the Sonos Beam at $499? with the 20% coupon right now it becomes $450 with tax so trying to decide between the two
Dec 19, 2004
181 posts
10 upvotes
This soundbar has a lot of problems. I bought this bar when it was $399 at costco but HDMI arc stopped working for me. Also I and many other folks were having issues with the Shield when it was connected directly to the soundbar (you need to do this for Atmos). Vizio said they would look into it but there has been no action still to this date. Go checkout the subreddit Vizio_support to see all the folks complaining about it. The soundbar does sound good when it works but I hates fiddling with settinga everytime before watching something.
Jun 10, 2011
517 posts
428 upvotes
returned mine after waiting 2 month for firmware update...
Arc issues with the vizio p65 were insane (tv would sometime reboot 5-6 times before turning on)
Sometime I would get a black screen showing no input, forcing me to change tv input a few time to get an image and sometime I would loose my sound for a second before coming back...

croyd wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 6:51 pm
This soundbar has a lot of problems. I bought this bar when it was $399 at costco but HDMI arc stopped working for me. Also I and many other folks were having issues with the Shield when it was connected directly to the soundbar (you need to do this for Atmos). Vizio said they would look into it but there has been no action still to this date. Go checkout the subreddit Vizio_support to see all the folks complaining about it. The soundbar does sound good when it works but I hates fiddling with settinga everytime before watching something.
Dec 19, 2004
181 posts
10 upvotes
I should state that I did end up returning it as well. My setup was an LG Oled B7P with a Nvidia Shield.
Nov 3, 2010
51 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal
I have a different model (SB3651-E6), not sure if you might be experiencing my same situation.

I use both HDMI-ARC and HDMI IN (to connect my laptop).
At the beginning everything was working fine, soundbar was automatically detecting the input and switching automatically.
After a couple of weeks I noticed that the soundbar stopped switching or did not sometimes decode audio.

The reason was that (it's inside the manual, but I have missed it) once you manually switch audio input using soundbar remote, the soundbar will keep waiting for you to select proper input every time.
In order to restore the "auto-detect" you need to reset your soundbar or use the phone app.

I think there might be more to it, since I can clearly remember the soundbar sometimes turning off by itself or dropping audio all of a sudden, but everything has been working flawlessly after factory reset so I suggest you to give it a try.

croyd wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 6:51 pm
Dec 19, 2004
181 posts
10 upvotes
I previously owned the sb3651 as well with no luck. I factory reset the device many times, always selected the input but no luck. I actually returned it and got another one but ended up with problems still. I really hoped the Atmos version would solve everything but no luck.
riccardo399 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 7:12 pm
I have a different model (SB3651-E6), not sure if you might be experiencing my same situation.

I use both HDMI-ARC and HDMI IN (to connect my laptop).
At the beginning everything was working fine, soundbar was automatically detecting the input and switching automatically.
After a couple of weeks I noticed that the soundbar stopped switching or did not sometimes decode audio.

The reason was that (it's inside the manual, but I have missed it) once you switch manually the input using soundbar remote, the soundbar will keep waiting for you to select proper input every time.
In order to restore the "auto-detect" you need to reset your soundbar or use the phone app.

I think there might be more to it, since I can clearly remember the soundbar sometimes turning off by itself or dropping audio all of a sudden, but everything has been working flawlessly after factory reset so I suggest you to give it a try.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8855 posts
10982 upvotes
GT-EH
Yep, can confirm it has issues on HDMI-ARC video pass-through not working for NVidia Shield.

However, I'm stubborn and I still have not returned it yet, hoping one day they will fix their crappy firmware. lol

No one believed me on my last post on another thread, but I'm here to warn others out there as well (again).
What's the best credit card for...
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2782 posts
2106 upvotes
Toronto
lol stick with their tried and true basic sound bars with only optical and you will save a return and headache
Dec 25, 2010
876 posts
261 upvotes
Vancouver
King421 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 6:27 pm
How does this compare to the Sonos Beam at $499? with the 20% coupon right now it becomes $450 with tax so trying to decide between the two
What is the 20% off coupon?
Apr 1, 2015
90 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Orpheus wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 9:32 pm
What is the 20% off coupon?
I saw it in a recent forum post. Tomorrow is last day
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2580 posts
313 upvotes
Mississauga
GiOBoY wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 7:27 pm
Yep, can confirm it has issues on HDMI-ARC video pass-through not working for NVidia Shield.

However, I'm stubborn and I still have not returned it yet, hoping one day they will fix their crappy firmware. lol

No one believed me on my last post on another thread, but I'm here to warn others out there as well (again).
Thanks for the PSA. I'll include my findings with the non-Atmos E6 with my Sammy TV. Back it went to Costco. That's TWO "fabulous" Vizio products returned. Not quite ready for prime time...
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1435 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
adrianf74 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 4:00 pm
Thanks for the PSA. I'll include my findings with the non-Atmos E6 with my Sammy TV. Back it went to Costco. That's TWO "fabulous" Vizio products returned. Not quite ready for prime time...
If you aren't using Atmos, then you can just plug the Shield to the TV and HDMI ARC from TV to the soundbar.