Shopping Discussion

Costco water price increased by 15% - 25% as of Jan 2020

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2020 3:09 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 10, 2004
2736 posts
500 upvotes
Ontario
I bought a water filter system cuz I was tired of getting 4-6 cases of water each time I went to Costco.
With this price increase, it should pay for itself in no time.
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1872 posts
1085 upvotes
Toronto
I buy water bottles often as someone else already pointed out they go on sale so often I never buy them at regular price at Costco.

I also use a refillable water bottle but I keep bottles in the car because sometimes your refillable bottle runs out and there is no way I'd drink tap water unless it's been properly filtered, I'll pass on all the chemicals, pesticides, heavy metals and pharamasuticals in tap water.
Member
Nov 26, 2015
331 posts
169 upvotes
Montréal
I find that it is usually cheaper in Shoppers on sale... At least for Montreal...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
12525 posts
6408 upvotes
Toronto
WMPCOT wrote: I buy water bottles often as someone else already pointed out they go on sale so often I never buy them at regular price at Costco.

I also use a refillable water bottle but I keep bottles in the car because sometimes your refillable bottle runs out and there is no way I'd drink tap water unless it's been properly filtered, I'll pass on all the chemicals, pesticides, heavy metals and pharamasuticals in tap water.
LOL

:facepalm:

whatever floats your boat dude, tap water is tested far more than bottled water anyway.

https://tappwater.co/us/can-you-drink-t ... tap-water/

Add a filter if you absolutely must.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1872 posts
1085 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote: LOL

:facepalm:

whatever floats your boat dude, tap water is tested far more than bottled water anyway.

https://tappwater.co/us/can-you-drink-t ... tap-water/

Add a filter if you absolutely must.
If you believe that you should really do some research into what you're putting in your body. Natural spring water doesn't contain what your municipal source does even after treatment. I work in the industry so I know full well that municipal water treatment does not filter those things out, even if it did water becomes contaminated in the distribution system.
Jr. Member
Nov 24, 2019
151 posts
294 upvotes
Saskatoon
WMPCOT wrote: I buy water bottles often as someone else already pointed out they go on sale so often I never buy them at regular price at Costco.

I also use a refillable water bottle but I keep bottles in the car because sometimes your refillable bottle runs out and there is no way I'd drink tap water unless it's been properly filtered, I'll pass on all the chemicals, pesticides, heavy metals and pharamasuticals in tap water.
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy Let me guess you're also anti-GMO?

Well I see Swerny has already tried to correct you
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1872 posts
1085 upvotes
Toronto
SaskCanesFan wrote: Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy Let me guess you're also anti-GMO?

Well I see Swerny has already tried to correct you
It's a proven fact, maybe do research and figure out what is actually in your municiply supplied water instead of taking their word for it. But it seems like you and Swerny just jump on whatever has been regurgitated to you so there is no point in me trying to educate you.

Are you in waste water and water treatment like I am? Have you worked at wastewater and treatment plants? Are you educated in these fields as I am?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
12525 posts
6408 upvotes
Toronto
WMPCOT wrote: If you believe that you should really do some research into what you're putting in your body. Natural spring water doesn't contain what your municipal source does even after treatment. I work in the industry so I know full well that municipal water treatment does not filter those things out, even if it did water becomes contaminated in the distribution system.
https://www.waterdocs.ca/water-talk/201 ... tled-water

Ignoring the environmental aspect of bottled water for a minute:

5) Researchers recently tested bottled water for micro plastic particles and found that 93 per cent of the water tested contained some sort of microplastic, including polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate (PET).

If you go to this site here, you can actually see the microscopic pieces of plastic swirling around. Researchers found an average of 10.4 particles of plastic 100 microns (0.10 mm, or larger than the width of a human hair) or bigger per litre and 314 smaller plastic particles per litre. The amount of particles varied from bottle to bottle: while some contained one, others contained thousands. These tests were only aimed at discovering the presence of micro-plastics in bottled water - the research into how plastic effects the body when consumed is ongoing. We don't know about you, but we're not waiting for the results to find out.

6) Tap water is strictly regulated by Health Canada and the provinces and territories, whereas bottled water is not.

The Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality spell out the maximum levels of potentially harmful substances that are allowed in drinking water and municipalities test their water sources constantly to make sure they are within these limits. Because bottled water is classified as a food, it falls under the Food and Drugs Act and is not subject to such strict guidelines.

In the same research mentioned above on micro plastics, the research team tested for micro plastic particles in tap water from more than a dozen countries across five continents. They found that bottled water had double the amount of micro plastics than the tap water.

It's even worse when you reuse them

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-dr ... ody-2018-3

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 50841.html
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1872 posts
1085 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote: https://www.waterdocs.ca/water-talk/201 ... tled-water

Ignoring the environmental aspect of bottled water for a minute:

5) Researchers recently tested bottled water for micro plastic particles and found that 93 per cent of the water tested contained some sort of microplastic, including polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate (PET).

If you go to this site here, you can actually see the microscopic pieces of plastic swirling around. Researchers found an average of 10.4 particles of plastic 100 microns (0.10 mm, or larger than the width of a human hair) or bigger per litre and 314 smaller plastic particles per litre. The amount of particles varied from bottle to bottle: while some contained one, others contained thousands. These tests were only aimed at discovering the presence of micro-plastics in bottled water - the research into how plastic effects the body when consumed is ongoing. We don't know about you, but we're not waiting for the results to find out.

6) Tap water is strictly regulated by Health Canada and the provinces and territories, whereas bottled water is not.

The Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality spell out the maximum levels of potentially harmful substances that are allowed in drinking water and municipalities test their water sources constantly to make sure they are within these limits. Because bottled water is classified as a food, it falls under the Food and Drugs Act and is not subject to such strict guidelines.

In the same research mentioned above on micro plastics, the research team tested for micro plastic particles in tap water from more than a dozen countries across five continents. They found that bottled water had double the amount of micro plastics than the tap water.

It's even worse when you reuse them

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-dr ... ody-2018-3

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 50841.html
I clearly advocated using refillable water bottles with filtering. The filtering aspect is what you tried to laugh at saying municiply supplied water is just as good which it simply isn't and all the things I mentioned are still contained in your water source after it has left the treatment facility because they simply do not treat water for them our systems aren't designed for that.

As for your point 6 about regulation, that's all fine and well but if the regulations are from years and decades ago when we didn't have these other things such as pharamasuticals in our water how good is it? Flint Michigan also followed regulations.

Again I ask that you educate yourself on the topic and do not take my word alone. Do a quick google search and see if water treatment facilities treat for pharmaceuticals. Not to mention the chemicals used in water treatment are also left in, and while it does some good in keeping the distribution system clean it also has harmful side effects especially with all the plastic plumbing we use today.
Jr. Member
Nov 24, 2019
151 posts
294 upvotes
Saskatoon
I, for one, would love to hear about which chemicals, pesticides, pharmaceuticals exactly are in municipal water supplies, at what quantities, and the mechanism by which those specific chemicals are harmful to the human body. LD50 of those would also be helpful.

Blanket statements about "avoiding chemicals" are the theme of most anti-science movements, and are completely meaningless as they ignore the fact that EVERYTHING is a chemical, and everything has both a safe and unsafe dose. Yep, even your natural spring water has a toxic dose, sorry.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
10095 posts
6515 upvotes
GTA, ON
Doesn't bother me. I only buy a case once a year. Typically I always have a refillable bottle or mug that I use. I boil water at work. Only time I drink from plastic bottled water is if I'm going somewhere where I don't want to carry it around after I'm finished consuming (I.e. amusement park). Too much plastic waste already.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Member
Jun 21, 2016
277 posts
84 upvotes
eelw11 wrote: Enviro fee and deposit? Lucky not here in Ontario. But how do you get the deposit back? Doubt many hold on to plastic bottles vs glass beer bottles to return.
If you want the deposit back which is 10 cents a bottle for the smaller bottles and 20 cents a bottle over 1 liter, you hold onto them like you do with beer bottles, deposit on beer bottles is also 10 cents a bottle. (I am referring to BC specifically.)
Sr. Member
Dec 15, 2013
977 posts
357 upvotes
North of Toronto
Water prices change due to supply/demand depending on which plant they get their water from. My friend is a buyer for Costco and said that when we get a cold spell in the summer, water sales plummet and prices always drop.
Sr. Member
Dec 18, 2017
728 posts
387 upvotes
London, On
Wasn't that many years ago that the 35 packs were almost 7 bucks, and they steadily decreased in price, so I'm not surprised it's going up a bit now.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32111 posts
17966 upvotes
Ottawa
Kirkland wipes went up...
Bounty SAS went up...

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)