Costco water price increased by 15% - 25% as of Jan 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2020 3:09 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3467 posts
1530 upvotes
Ontario
We buy the large bottles because our well water is rather sulphery and otherwise hard. It tastes horrible.

I'd prefer to be on city/town provided water because then we could get a fridge with the water/ice. I never remember to make ice cubes.

Though I've also gone to using the reusable ice cubes. Still, it would be nice.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3241 posts
609 upvotes
You have good eyes my friend. I would have never noticed.
Jul 20, 2010
348 posts
214 upvotes
xiaobao wrote: c) again if there is no incentive then people will throw it away improperly and will end up costing more or negates their cash grab and worse for the environment. Sure people throw away can/bottles because 10cents is not worth their time(in my opinion they should raise this to like a quarter) but then you have the homeless who go through the garbage and collect them so alot higher percentage gets recycled.
This is why you front load the costs of disposal onto the product itself rather than a disposal fee. If financial incentives are not significant enough to change people's behaviours, then you must factor in the cost of sorting and then having regulatory bodies oversee the disposal effort rather than offering poor economical solutions and relying on goodwill (our current solution).

Including disposal fees onto products will raise the costs of the product, but that will be offset by economical adjustments of people not wanting to participate in a disposable economy because buying disposable goods with high disposal cost will have less cost difference than buying quality products that do not have high disposal costs.

At the end of the day someone is paying to use disposal products, and right now it's our environment in the short term and then eventually the future of our habitable space and farmable soil in the long term. Don't sell your children's future because you want cheap phones/forks/cups right now.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
7879 posts
44165 upvotes
Ontario
death_hawk wrote: "If you raise [the price of] the effing hot dog, I will kill you"

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/547 ... mbo-enigma

What gets me is that it's $1.50 Canadian. Isn't that the US price? How are we not selling for $2 to begin with?

I always thought that food contact containers had to be made from virgin materials.

This is me too except for the last bit with the chemicals.
I just don't have access to a tap anywhere but home.
Don't think they will raise the price for the hotdog and the chicken.

The $1.50 is their signature brand according to the ceo in recent interview. Same for the chicken.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1633 posts
1438 upvotes
Maple Ridge
I wish they bring back all you can eat condiments for hotdog combo....
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32032 posts
17917 upvotes
Ottawa
Dreamrider wrote: I wish they bring back all you can eat condiments for hotdog combo....
Lol
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12552 posts
9777 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
death_hawk wrote:
"If you raise [the price of] the effing hot dog, I will kill you"

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/547 ... mbo-enigma

What gets me is that it's $1.50 Canadian. Isn't that the US price? How are we not selling for $2 to begin with?

I always thought that food contact containers had to be made from virgin materials.

This is me too except for the last bit with the chemicals.
I just don't have access to a tap anywhere but home.
Thatdealguy wrote: Don't think they will raise the price for the hotdog and the chicken.

The $1.50 is their signature brand according to the ceo in recent interview. Same for the chicken.
This

Plus be thankful ...it’s actually another example of something being cheaper here in Canada vs the USA
There are lots of examples of such savings in our country
But our citizens fail to see them
Those of us who go to the US frequently know we are doing ok on a lot of fronts
(Visit a US Drugstore sometime ... best example by far. We pay a lot less for a lot of stuff here ... not just Prescription Drugs, but other items too .. OTC Meds, Toothpaste etc. Even if you are looking at apples to apples ... Drugstore Chain to Drugstore Chain, or Walmart to Walmart)

As for “virgin materials”
Sounds good
But no such requirement exists
Long before there was plastic
There was glass ...
Be it beer bottles
Or the Coke-Cola bottling works of old (every region had one)
Glass Bottles were cleaned & refilled

In today’s water industry
The big jugs are cleaned & reused
https://www.labradorsource.com/bottled-water-products

While the smaller ones are recycled / melted into new materials ... including yes ... sometimes more bottles / food containers
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12505 posts
6377 upvotes
Toronto
Dreamrider wrote: I wish they bring back all you can eat condiments for hotdog combo....
You mean the Markham free side salad?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11518 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Plus be thankful ...it’s actually another example of something being cheaper here in Canada vs the USA
There are lots of examples of such savings in our country
But our citizens fail to see them
Bottom line for anything is know your pricing.
There's TONS of stuff in the US that's hilariously cheaper, but there's also a few times where we have the advantage.

As for “virgin materials”
Sounds good
But no such requirement exists
The FDA would disagree.
Long before there was plastic
There was glass ...
Be it beer bottles
Or the Coke-Cola bottling works of old (every region had one)
Glass Bottles were cleaned & refilled
I can't find much on Glass other than it's GRAS so recycled glass might be allowed.
But as with plastic above, it wouldn't shock me if it also had to be virgin glass.
Refilling has nothing to do with my original point. The original material of the container isn't relevant when it comes to refills.
In today’s water industry
The big jugs are cleaned & reused
https://www.labradorsource.com/bottled-water-products
Those are polycarbonate which I think generally have to be virgin.

While the smaller ones are recycled / melted into new materials ... including yes ... sometimes more bottles / food containers
Except on a case by case basis, the only generally recognized material that's allowed to be recycled back into food contact products are polyethylene terephthalate (PET) or polyethylene naphthalate (PEN).
Luckily most beverage containers are PET but this isn't true of all plastics that contact food.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17667 posts
5597 upvotes
Toronto
They talk about environment, environment. These plastic bottles are the worse thing for the environment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)