[Costco] WD 8 TB My Book External Hard Drive $179

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2020 6:26 pm
[OP]
Aug 8, 2009
366 posts
476 upvotes

[Costco] WD 8 TB My Book External Hard Drive $179

Was looking for some cheap data storage and found this. Cheaper than anywhere else - these are apparently shuckable. Wondering if this is cheaper in warehouse.

Cheers
227 replies
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15038 posts
2110 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Awaiting approval on this deal from the mother shuckers.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2009
366 posts
476 upvotes
If someone can confirm warehouse availability I'd appreciate it, thanks.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2009
366 posts
476 upvotes
Matrixvibe wrote: Awaiting approval on this deal from the mother shuckers.
Amazon has the element for $189.00 I'm thinking -10$ and + 1 year warranty + no worry costco makes this a batter deal? I'm not up to date on hard drives lately so feedback would be appreciated
Dec 4, 2013
231 posts
96 upvotes
Canada
Pretty good price. That said CCC shows that amazon has had it up for the same price a couple of times since last October.
My best active deals:
Two Rogers Lines - Both 45$ a month, 12 gigs each.
Jul 14, 2019
315 posts
519 upvotes
Far better 10TB drives are regularly only ~$20-30 more, making this a bad deal IMHO, especially if you're willing to spend 30 seconds shucking.

From what I have seen come out of other WD 8TB enclosures, I can pretty much guarantee you aren't getting a 7200 RPM PMR drive in there either, which makes it an even worse deal. The best drives I have seen come out of there are WD Reds which are decent drives, just slow.
Last edited by CanadaCPU on Feb 19th, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2277 posts
256 upvotes
North York
CanadaCPU wrote: Far better 10TB drives are regularly only ~$20-30 more, making this a bad deal IMHO, especially if you're willing to spend 30 seconds shucking.
Where, and when?

Please link for a $199-209 10TB drive
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2310 posts
674 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
This deal have been all year round 2018-2019. I've been monitoring it and the price has never dropped any lower. I don't understand how after 2 years hard drives remains to be the same price in computer world.
[solicitation removed]
Jul 14, 2019
315 posts
519 upvotes
cliff wrote: Where, and when?

Please link for a $199-209 10TB drive
Find any Seagate 10TB external drive, they all have a ~$550 10TB Barracuda Pro 7200RPM helium filled PMR drive in it. I have 4 of them bought at all different times of year and I paid $199-220 each time. They go on sale very regularly and that is a way better drive than what is in the WD 8TB linked. Takes 20-30 seconds to shuck it, it could not be easier.

If you know how to use google you can find them. I actually just had my last one delivered a week ago.

If you don't care what kind of drive it is, you can find 8TB drives for $179-189 pretty much any day of the week.
Last edited by CanadaCPU on Feb 19th, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3457 posts
2090 upvotes
Vancouver
CanadaCPU wrote: Far better 10TB drives are regularly only ~$20-30 more, making this a bad deal IMHO, especially if you're willing to spend 30 seconds shucking.

From what I have seen come out of other WD 8TB enclosures, I can pretty much guarantee you aren't getting a 7200 RPM PMR drive in there either, which makes it an even worse deal. The best drives I have seen come out of there are WD Reds which are decent drives, just slow.
As far as im aware, its not regularly. It happened once at bestbuy the week before black friday (it was a pre-black friday sale and sold out before black friday, never restrocked). I'm not aware of it being that price again for any drives. That was a Seagate drive (with a pro/$300 drive inside) so it was a great deal but i'm not aware of any other time 10TB @ $200. There has being 10GB deals around $220 but that is $40 more not $20-30. Even those deals arent exactly common tho do happen. Most of the time its around $25/GB as regular deals and they generally go upto 8GB. 10GB sales seem to happen less often. I built a storage server last year around black friday and still have a few empty slots so i've being paying attention to storage prices (specifically 10TB).
Jul 20, 2011
145 posts
160 upvotes
NORTH YORK
pretty good drive, I have 2 of these shucked and put in a home server.
it's WDC WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0 inside, 5400 rpm, need SATA power without 3.3V.
real write speed 60-70MB/s in RAID1 mode.
Last edited by linuxfan on Feb 19th, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 14, 2019
315 posts
519 upvotes
Paigne wrote: As far as im aware, its not regularly. It happened once at bestbuy the week before black friday (it was a pre-black friday sale and sold out before black friday, never restrocked). I'm not aware of it being that price again for any drives. That was a Seagate drive (with a pro/$300 drive inside) so it was a great deal but i'm not aware of any other time 10TB @ $200. There has being 10GB deals around $220 but that is $40 more not $20-30. Even those deals arent exactly common tho do happen. Most of the time its around $25/GB as regular deals and they generally go upto 8GB. 10GB sales seem to happen less often. I built a storage server last year around black friday and still have a few empty slots so i've being paying attention to storage prices (specifically 10TB).
It's pretty regular. Like I said I have 4 of them now bought at all different times throughout the year, and not just on holidays like Black Friday and Boxing Day. They are on sale to some degree almost every day ($249 or so), and they drop to $199-220 quite often which is when they are a great buy. I got 2 at $199. Giving up 2TB and much better drive technology to save a few dollars is a total waste IMO.
Last edited by CanadaCPU on Feb 19th, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2009
366 posts
476 upvotes

1. I will NEVER own another Seagate product again.

2. I am not up to speed on drives but even I know that both the element and my book are confirmed to be WD whites which are same as Reds. No one said this is a 7200 RPM drive.

3. Please show me a link to a $199 10tb drive.
Jul 14, 2019
315 posts
519 upvotes
zarfilg wrote: 1. I will NEVER own another Seagate product again.

2. I am not up to speed on drives but even I know that both the element and my book are confirmed to be WD whites which are same as Reds. No one said this is a 7200 RPM drive.

3. Please show me a link to a $199 10tb drive.
1) Based on what? An unbelievably small sample size that directly contradicts all objective data on the matter? Seagate drives are the workhorses of many data centers with incredibly low failure rates. I've never had one fail on me in 20+ years but that is still just anecdotal. If you have had a disproportionate percentage of drives fail on you from a particular brand, that is just bad luck. Almost every WD drive I've ever owned has failed, and I would still buy another one if it was the right type because my small sample size means nothing.

2) WD Reds are OK, at least they're PMR. I have a couple of them in one of my NASs. They aren't on par with something like a Barracuda Pro though.

3) I assume you know how to use a search engine. I paid $212 for one that was delivered last week.
Last edited by CanadaCPU on Feb 19th, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 1, 2012
164 posts
165 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Not a bad price, but not amazing. Not long ago newegg (I believe) and amazon had a better deal. I grabbed the WD element 8TB for $135 shipped + tax on amazon.