• Jan 18th, 2021 12:28 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
9319 posts
12245 upvotes
GT-EH

[Costco] Western Digital Mybook 8TB - $154.99

This might be the lowest ever @ costco for this one - could be cheaper in-store.

WD 8 TB My Book External Hard Drive
Item 1880080
Model WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN

NEW PRICE: $184.99 - $30 = $154.99 @ checkout.

COSTCO -- https://www.costco.ca/.product.1880080.html
AMAZON -- https://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital-E ... 01LQQHLGC/
Last edited by GiOBoY on Nov 27th, 2020 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
What's the best credit card for...
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Thread Summary
Older RFD threads about Costco's WD MyBook 8TB:
costco-wd-8-tb-my-book-external-hard-drive-179-2356387/, $179.99, Feb, 2020
[Costco] Western Digital Mybook 8tb $199.99, April, 2020

Mind you that the HDD inside these might be different now [YMMV].

Current promo prices:
$169.99 online
$159.99 in store

Some summaries are in these posts:
* WD My Book 8 TB Hard drive: costco-western-digital-mybook-8tb-169-9 ... #p33550673
* FAQ / Background: costco-western-digital-mybook-8tb-169-9 ... #p33550749

by: robfun costco-western-digital-mybook-8tb-169-9 ... #p33550673
costco-western-digital-mybook-8tb-169-9 ... #p33550749

Here is my summary from reading through the threads... There was a lot of info!

*** Western Digital My Book 8 TB (from Costco) ***
- Model # WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN

- New Internal hard drive model #: WDCWD80EDAZ-11TA3A0 (in the new orange top boxes.) (credit @cba123)
-- CMR
-- Air filled (latest batch)
-- Features: S.M.A.R.T., APM, 48bit LBA, NCQ (credit @cba123)
-- @vancouverie: "WD Ultrastar air filled one no TRIM so it's not SMR but run hot"
-- @rob187 "Sitting on a desk in the open air with no active cooling, this bare drive idles @ 50°C". "Helium filled drives are around 27°C"
-- @vancouverie: "Air filled one , so no need 3.3v mod".

- Old Internal hard drive: These have EZAZ in the model #
-- These have green top box (credit @cba123) and are helium filled.
-- @Lucidlife " Got one 24 Nov 2020 and asked the clerk to get one from the bottom of the stack (older ones) and luckily I got another EZAZ. S/N started with numbers (1Exxxx) instead of letters (WVxxxx) I have a WD PR4100 4 bay and no mod for me."
-- Old Thread here: costco-western-digital-mybook-8tb-199-99-2364467/

- Warranty: 3 years manufacturer or 2 years Costco
-- Note: if shucking, keep the enclosure in case of warranty claim. Record the matching enclosure serial # and hard drive serial #. Some report having warranty denied if they don't match.

Before shucking:
- Test the drive to make sure no problems.
- Confirm the internal hard drive model # & make sure someone hasn't returned it with a used internal drive in it (used hours?)
- @[Keigotw] "Hard disk sentinel ( there is free trial)" https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php
- @[Keigotw] "DiskCheckup ( free for personal use)" https://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup/
- @[EggRollz] "CrystalDiskInfo is free, though I do use Hard disk sentinel for testing before removing." https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/
- @[alpovs] "There is a free tool GSmartControl: https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/ho ... /Downloads It will give you more information than you want to know. You can also do a Conveyance self-test with it. "Conveyance self-test is intended to identify damage incurred during transporting of the drive." It's only slightly longer (5 min) than a short self-test. I test all new drives with it before deciding if they need to be returned/exchanged." costco-western-digital-mybook-8tb-199-9 ... #p32465621

Shucking:

- @rob187 "I’ve got it down to a science. On the top side you slip in 4 credit cards along the cracks, card just barely has to be in the crack. Then push firmly on the small rectangle from the other side and the whole cage will release." costco-western-digital-mybook-8tb-169-9 ... #p33528509
3.3v pin:
- If hard drive is not recognized, then may be due to new 3.3v pin.
- Some say the 3.3v pin is not a problem in the newer air filled drives.
- 3.3v pin does not require modification for use with Synology NAS (credit @tvisforme) (costco-western-digital-mybook-8tb-169-9 ... #p33545946)
- (credit @aviador) https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Fi ... el-Disks-/

******** Background info / FAQ *****************

Shucking
- Remove the internal hard drive out of an external hard drive (i.e. remove the enclosure around it).
- This allows the internal hard drive to be placed in a NAS, computer, PS4, xbox, etc.
- A shucked hard drive is often cheaper to buy than the retail version of the internal drive.
- External hard drives are slower than the internal hard drive.
- As of 2020, $20/TB is a good price.

Before shucking:
1. Do not write any data to the hard drive. It sounds like this can cause encryption issues making the internal drive hard to read after shucking.

2. Test the drive to make sure no problems.
- sounds like for WD, "WD Data Lifeguard" is being used
- sounds like for Seagate, their "seatools" software is being used.

3. Confirm the internal hard drive model # & make sure someone hasn't returned it with a used internal drive in it (used hours?)
- @[Keigotw] "Hard disk sentinel ( there is free trial)" https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php
- @[Keigotw] "DiskCheckup ( free for personal use)" https://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup/
- @[EggRollz] "CrystalDiskInfo is free, though I do use Hard disk sentinel for testing before removing." https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/
- @[alpovs] "There is a free tool GSmartControl: https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/ho ... /Downloads It will give you more information than you want to know. You can also do a Conveyance self-test with it. "Conveyance self-test is intended to identify damage incurred during transporting of the drive." It's only slightly longer (5 min) than a short self-test. I test all new drives with it before deciding if they need to be returned/exchanged." costco-western-digital-mybook-8tb-199-9 ... #p32465621

Helium vs Air-filled
- Helium filled are quieter, cooler and use less energy (~20%?).
- They are a newer technology, and helium can reportedly leak out, so life span for these drives is not yet known.
- How to tell if hard drive is air filled or helium filled
-- "Under the SMART attributes look at the Helium level attribute." (credit @[Keigotw])
- @[Keigotw] "hard disk sentinel - the trial one and then you can see model and if any Helium motor in SMART INFO" https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php costco-western-digital-mybook-8tb-199-9 ... #p32464560

SMR vs CMR:
"CMR: It depends on your application of the device. If you constantly read/write/move/delete cmr is the way to go.
SMR: If you read/write and you don't move/delete smr works just as well.
"
Credit @[IceCreamGee]
staples-seagate-8tb-expansion-desktop-h ... #p33548647

***** NAS *****:
RFD super thread: nas-superthread-current-deals-nas-devices-1132685/
Synology RAID calculator: https://www.synology.com/en-ca/support/RAID_calculator
Common media server apps (2020): Plex, Jellyfin

@[mindabsence] "Centralized file storage is also a very useful NAS use and falls into "everyday user" type of needs. Our house has several laptops, a desktop, a tablet, many phones, etc. We store all our digital photographs, videos, documents, etc. on the NAS. Each user of the house has a login which gives them access to their personal files + relevant shared files (family photo albums, etc.). Now no matter what device they're on, or even if they're away from home, they can access their files. The computers themselves really only store applications and games - everything else is stored in the NAS, and the NAS also takes care of ensuring those files are backed up and protected against drive failure too! Second to that, I also run Jellyfin which you've already covered the benefits of for most users too." costco-western-digital-mybook-8tb-169-9 ... #p33534893
497 replies
Mar 14, 2020
81 posts
180 upvotes
Montreal
The regular price is $10 cheaper in store. Anyone know if it's on sale for $159 in store by any chance?
Feb 5, 2017
380 posts
384 upvotes
Vancouver
Stacks with $10 Costco email promo code
Nov 29, 2016
248 posts
229 upvotes
ncheply wrote: The regular price is $10 cheaper in store. Anyone know if it's on sale for $159 in store by any chance?
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2008 posts
163 upvotes
8t or 10t =?
Which better deal?
Help wanted peeps ..
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
1903 posts
263 upvotes
From one of the reviews
Some people in other reviews complained about having faulty drives. Note that there is a very unfortunate practice among crooked data hoarders to buy an external drive, take the internal drive out, replace it with a very used older drive and send it back and asking for a refund. Some of them are even good enough to make it look like the seal was even never touched. Always check with Crystal Disk Info (read SMART data) to see how many hours the internal drive has on it.

Also note that this drive comes with an option for integrated encryption (need to download the software to activate this.) The encryption is performed by the chip in the enclosure. If the enclosure fails, there is no easy way to get to your data, even if the internal drive is still fine and you can remove it and connect it directly to your computer. Use this function with caution and make sure you have back ups!
It used to be only death and taxes were inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2959 posts
3294 upvotes
Im tempted but do they have something like this at shoppers
Oct 31, 2010
382 posts
766 upvotes
Montreal
Costco reviews shows mediocre scores due to DOA.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6070 posts
2427 upvotes
Canuckland
Damn such a great deal! Paid $190 when the pandemic started

Interesting to see what may be inside
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2959 posts
3294 upvotes
It is costco easy returns dont worry for doa make sure tl do the check
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1890 posts
1134 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
189.99 - 30 In store

Called to check
Mar 14, 2020
81 posts
180 upvotes
Montreal
chinese zzz wrote: 8t or 10t =?
Which better deal?
Help wanted peeps ..
Do you want an 8tb drive or a 10tb drive?

Do you want to spend $169 or $199?

170/8= $21.25 per TB
200/10= $20 per TB

So technically the 10tb is a slightly better deal if you need the space and have the money. Though the 8tb is from Costco so you get the return policy perks.

Note that I picked up the 10tb Seagate and shucked it, and it's so noisy during read/write that I'm trying to sell it now and will likely pick up this 8tb instead. I think it's cause my Seagate external had an EXOS drive inside...the others would likely be quieter.
Nov 11, 2020
47 posts
8 upvotes
Ordered online , will arrive next week

Anyone can confirm if this is CMR drive ? WD Red bigger than 8tb is CMR right
Jul 28, 2017
86 posts
60 upvotes
Edmonton
What tools do people use to test this drive ?
Nov 17, 2007
153 posts
71 upvotes
How does this one compare to WD 8TB Easystore which is also on sale for $169.99 at Best Buy?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1539 posts
939 upvotes
Vancouver
crystalsnowdrop wrote: How does this one compare to WD 8TB Easystore which is also on sale for $169.99 at Best Buy?
1) If you shuck it right a way, it will behave the same way as the Easystore
2) If you don't shuck it right away, files are encrypted by the Mybook controller board. Files place on it through the USB interface are encrypted. So if something breaks on the board, you can't take the drive out and plop it into your PC to recover files. You will need to find a matching board or pay a recovery service (IIRC)
3) The drives inside the MyBook are now superior as the Easystores have been switched to Air-filled drives instead of helium. That is, if the drives in the MyBook have not changed.

So if you shuck, get this one. If you plan to just use as-is, do more research into the encryption methods conducted by this model.
Nov 11, 2020
47 posts
8 upvotes
cgg123321 wrote: 1) If you shuck it right a way, it will behave the same way as the Easystore
2) If you don't shuck it right away, files are encrypted by the Mybook controller board. Files place on it through the USB interface are encrypted. So if something breaks on the board, you can't take the drive out and plop it into your PC to recover files. You will need to find a matching board or pay a recovery service (IIRC)
3) The drives inside the MyBook are now superior as the Easystores have been switched to Air-filled drives instead of helium. That is, if the drives in the MyBook have not changed.

So if you shuck, get this one. If you plan to just use as-is, do more research into the encryption methods conducted by this model.
Can you confirm if it's CMR ? I use ZFS

Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)