Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Western Digital Mybook 8tb $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 6:37 pm
Feb 27, 2004
309 posts
14 upvotes
Thought I'd report in on the new WD80EDAZ drives - just shucked a 8TB Mybook from Costco. I had read on Reddit that this runs hot compared to other "NAS Drives"

That's not been my experience - I run this in a Synology with a WD Red (WD60EFRX), Ironwolf (ST8000VN004), and a Hitachi (HDN70280ALE604) All are at the 39C mark while the array is repairing itself (ie at load). This is only Day 2, mind you.

Edit - now that the array has repaired itself here are the idle temps:
- Ironwolf - 37 degrees
- WD Red - 34 degrees
- HGST - 36
- WD EDAZ - 38

So hotter, yes - but not blazing...
You'll go broke saving money here....
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3508 posts
300 upvotes
1. Is any mod required after shucking these drives? Live covering pins or anything like that?

2. How would warranty return work if the drive is shucked?

3. Could I re-use the external case once it’s removed? I was looking to re-use an existing drive I have to be used as more storage for my PS4 and this would save me from having to buy an external case if I can re-use it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6072 posts
2427 upvotes
Canuckland
Rockstead wrote: 1. Is any mod required after shucking these drives? Live covering pins or anything like that?

2. How would warranty return work if the drive is shucked?

3. Could I re-use the external case once it’s removed? I was looking to re-use an existing drive I have to be used as more storage for my PS4 and this would save me from having to buy an external case if I can re-use it.
It depends on your NAS or RAID device, synology doesn't require anything

Look up shucking in youtube, plenty with the loyalty cards trick
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3508 posts
300 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote: It depends on your NAS or RAID device, synology doesn't require anything

Look up shucking in youtube, plenty with the loyalty cards trick
I would t be using this in a Raid or Synology, I just need an internal 8TB drive and if possible re-use the external case for a different drive after it’s been shucked.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6072 posts
2427 upvotes
Canuckland
Rockstead wrote: I would t be using this in a Raid or Synology, I just need an internal 8TB drive and if possible re-use the external case for a different drive after it’s been shucked.
It'll just work by itself, if you plan on reutilize the case the you'll need to break or cover one of the pins
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3508 posts
300 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote: It'll just work by itself, if you plan on reutilize the case the you'll need to break or cover one of the pins
Sorry if these are dumb questions but I’m still not 100% clear

If I plan on re-using this case with an older 3TB drive I have around, I’ll need to cover pins on that 3TB drive to make it work? If so, do I need to order special tape or anything to cover it?

And you’re saying the internal 8TB i remove from the case will work fine in my PC internally without any modification.

Lastly what happens if the drive dies and I need to return it to WD, do I need to put it back in the external case to send back or can I send back just the drive?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6072 posts
2427 upvotes
Canuckland
Rockstead wrote: Sorry if these are dumb questions but I’m still not 100% clear

If I plan on re-using this case with an older 3TB drive I have around, I’ll need to cover pins on that 3TB drive to make it work? If so, do I need to order special tape or anything to cover it?

And you’re saying the internal 8TB i remove from the case will work fine in my PC internally without any modification.

Lastly what happens if the drive dies and I need to return it to WD, do I need to put it back in the external case to send back or can I send back just the drive?
  1. good o'l tape or removing the pin altogether, all it does is validate the fingerprint of the drive
  2. Yes
  3. That I'm not sure but some people had luck RMAing it
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3508 posts
300 upvotes
Ok so need advice.

Do I just order the WD 8TB My book from Costco for $200 or do I order the Seagate Barracuda 8TB ($216) from Amazon.ça along with an external case ($30) I need for a different 3.5 drive I have?

I’m just worried that the shucked 8TB drive from Costco will no longer have a warranty if I remove it from the case, or am I able to put it back in the case if it needs to be returned?
Mar 27, 2012
773 posts
188 upvotes
Gotham
Rockstead wrote: Ok so need advice.

Do I just order the WD 8TB My book from Costco for $200 or do I order the Seagate Barracuda 8TB ($216) from Amazon.ça along with an external case ($30) I need for a different 3.5 drive I have?

I’m just worried that the shucked 8TB drive from Costco will no longer have a warranty if I remove it from the case, or am I able to put it back in the case if it needs to be returned?
@Rockstead
Opening it would void warranty. It would be unethical to put it back into the closure, but if someone were to do this without breaking the clips they probably wouldn't notice.

On a side note though has anyone received a non EDAZ via online order?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3508 posts
300 upvotes
Any good prime day deals for 8TB drives or is the Costco on-store price on the M’y Book 8TB still the best deal around at $189.99+tax?

Is there a go to video that people use for shucking it? And how hard is it to not break the clips when removing it from the case?

Also when removing the USB and data board attached to the drive, could I re-use that board with another non WD f’drive that I plan to use in this case after I remove the WD 8TB?

My plan is to remove the 8TB to be used as an internal drive and then to take an older 3TB Seagate I have and placing it in the casing to be used as additional storage device for my PS4, assuming this can be done.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4587 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto
Is the 8tb my book a "CMR" drive?