Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Winix C535 Air Purifier - $159.99 ($40 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2023 11:25 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
muffin_man wrote: ummmm no. Air goes in and comes out. Where does the negative pressure comes from? Now rapid air flow may create negative pressure but just don't put the inlet and outlet near the furnace.
No, you are disregarding the venting that occurs in the furnace. Negative pressure can be created when you have gasses venting to the outside by itself even without the air purifier. Having an air purifier running at the same time will disrupt the airflow within the room. Each room would be different, but negative pressure is already a concern with gas powered furnaces.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11768 upvotes
GTA
TrevorK wrote: We don't have hydro power, and our cost of electricity is higher as a result.

We pay $0.18/kwh (all in with all fees included) for electricity. Heat pumps are not at the point yet where you can switch to them as your primary heat source (-30 is not uncommon for 1-2 weeks out of the year).

Even with the carbon tax rising, natural gas is still the most cost-effective solution for in-home heating.
NG is the cheapest but is being banned in Canada, some places like BC and Quebec have already started. We will all have to switch to electric furnaces and water heaters someday. At $0.18/kwh you'll be paying a lot more to heat your house.
May 28, 2018
380 posts
498 upvotes
mark_98 wrote: How do I know if this is actually working. I've had it on, but I can't tell any difference in breathing lol
Yeah I'm trying to figure this out too.... At least I didn't buy 3 of them.
Dec 3, 2010
701 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: No, you are disregarding the venting that occurs in the furnace. Negative pressure can be created when you have gasses venting to the outside by itself even without the air purifier. Having an air purifier running at the same time will disrupt the airflow within the room. Each room would be different, but negative pressure is already a concern with gas powered furnaces.
By code you always have a fresh air intake code to furnace. Now tell me how is a fan in the furnace room gonna affect venting and fresh air intake.

Also furnace has a huge blower running and the filter slot is almost never fully sealed. By your logic would that also affect venting?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
mark_98 wrote: How do I know if this is actually working. I've had it on, but I can't tell any difference in breathing lol
Check the mesh filter in 2 weeks when it's runing 24/7. Mine was full of dust. So it's working.

Also buy a partical sensor. It will measure the PPM in the air.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
2020 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
jeffbot wrote: is it the PlasmaWave noise that you're hearing?

from the manual:
1. PlasmaWave® Button Enables or disables PlasmaWave®.
"When the unit is running, you may hear a chirping or
buzzing sound. The sound is from large particles passing
through PlasmaWave®, it is normal and does not signify
product failure."
Press the PlasmaWave®
button when the unit is on
to enable or disable this feature.
i did tested it with the PlasmaWave off, and was surprised it was still blowing air out in sleep mode. i think i did hear some noise, but will test again.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
tew wrote: NG is the cheapest but is being banned in Canada, some places like BC and Quebec have already started. We will all have to switch to electric furnaces and water heaters someday. At $0.18/kwh you'll be paying a lot more to heat your house.
I haven't heard of NG being banned Canada-wide, and considering Canada produces vast quantities of it I would like to think it would make the news if the ban was going to be national. I could see some cities with no cold weather concerns like Victoria or Vancouver moving to heat pumps, but some cities in Canada are quite far north and heat pumps do not work at those temperatures. Other provinces with large hydro electricity capabilities can move because of cheap electricity. But the prairies have none of that, and have major cities far north.

At some point I am sure technology on heat pumps and whatever else they come up with will be good enough that NG furnaces are no longer needed. We just aren't there yet and can't phase out NG until well after that point (so that people can upgrade over time). The Paris agreement is what, 2050? That's a really long time away still.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
muffin_man wrote: By code you always have a fresh air intake code to furnace. Now tell me how is a fan in the furnace room gonna affect venting and fresh air intake.

Also furnace has a huge blower running and the filter slot is almost never fully sealed. By your logic would that also affect venting?
The filter slot is sealed when the furnace is properly installed. Sometimes people end up losing the metal cover or not putting it back on, so in their case there is leakage.

This article will explain the fresh air intake, and it also touches on negative pressure concerns (which include the gas water heater someone with a gas furnace likely has right beside):
https://www.weather-tech.net/furnace-fr ... ntake-101/

The amount of air your furnace needs is quite great.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1759 posts
1571 upvotes
Toronto, ON
liquor wrote:
  • - Not smart/wifi enable (even if could us IR blaster)
I got mine working with Logitech Harmony. If you have one, just add an Entertainment Device, the C535 is actually listed. I was quite surprised.

Now I can command Google Home to turn on, off, up, down, etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
twopointfivebar wrote: I got mine working with Logitech Harmony. If you have one, just add an Entertainment Device, the C535 is actually listed. I was quite surprised.

Now I can command Google Home to turn on, off, up, down, etc.
Holy ! Never thought to look for this on our Harmony hub. Thanks mate !

FYI can't disable Plasmawave.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3868 upvotes
Antarctica
elpaso wrote: Holy ! Never thought to look for this on our Harmony hub. Thanks mate !

FYI can't disable Plasmawave.
You open it up and disconnect the plasma wave unit. Precious threads have this mentioned enough times.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
Crichtonfan wrote: You open it up and disconnect the plasma wave unit. Precious threads have this mentioned enough times.
Thanks. Saw it on another forum. For the time being, i just press on the button.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: The filter slot is sealed when the furnace is properly installed. Sometimes people end up losing the metal cover or not putting it back on, so in their case there is leakage.

This article will explain the fresh air intake, and it also touches on negative pressure concerns (which include the gas water heater someone with a gas furnace likely has right beside):
https://www.weather-tech.net/furnace-fr ... ntake-101/

The amount of air your furnace needs is quite great.
You never explained how a C535 running in a furnace room causes negative pressure?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: You never explained how a C535 running in a furnace room causes negative pressure?
Air is being discharged to the outside. A furnace already has the potential of creating a negative pressure situation and the air purifier can contribute to that because of the exhausting of air outside.
Aug 5, 2008
500 posts
350 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: Air is being discharged to the outside. A furnace already has the potential of creating a negative pressure situation and the air purifier can contribute to that because of the exhausting of air outside.
Not sure I see the concern - this unit resides inside your house, so the air that comes out of it remains inside your house. Zero air leaves your house as a result of having one of these.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2981 posts
1066 upvotes
Heads up. Sanyo TV remote codes conflict with this air purifier.

Turning on/off my TV also sets the purifier to max fan mode.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
j4y-T wrote: Not sure I see the concern - this unit resides inside your house, so the air that comes out of it remains inside your house. Zero air leaves your house as a result of having one of these.
Gas furnaces have venting to move air outside.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: Air is being discharged to the outside. A furnace already has the potential of creating a negative pressure situation and the air purifier can contribute to that because of the exhausting of air outside.
The air purifier intakes air from a few inches in front of itself and discharges out the top of itself with little static pressure. Where is a pressure differential created?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Alivenate wrote: How well does it filter out fumes from paint?
Zero.

You need ventilation, not filtration

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)