• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 2:00 pm
[OP]
Aug 19, 2004
848 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Yamaha electronic Drum Kit with chair (DTX-432) -$649.99

I've been looking for a drum kit for beginners recently; Apparently, the 3 competitive brands are Alesis Nitro Mesh, Yamaha DTX 402K and Roland (pricier).

Costco has a special buy discount on this drum set that was last available august 2019 at this price.
costco-yamaha-dtx432-electronic-drums-650-2309268/

Basically, normal price is $829.99 for the costco Yamaha 432K drum set with drum chair (throne).

The 432K is a canadian costco exclusive which has a 402K ($599 @ cosmo music) + bass/foot pedal upgrade. It's missing the 3 zone snare of the 452k model ($799 @ cosmo music)

I'd love to hear actual drummers weigh in on this; but as a complete newb, it looks like a reasonable deal for starter drums.

I also researched this and you can upgrade the snare to the 3-zone yamaha upgrade for $89+ tax @ a later point if you wish making this kit equivalent to the 452 model.
21 replies
Jan 19, 2007
872 posts
515 upvotes
For a beginner set it looks like a good price. TBH though...after purchasing a roland kit with only a mesh snare, I don't think I would purchase any electric kit that wasn't full mesh. The lack shock absorption in the rubber pads (at least for me) makes the wrists sore when using proper technique within 30 minutes. I've rented budget yamaha kits in the past and they're OK, but, the samples if you decide to try and record one day are a bit cheesy and "cheap" sounding. On another hand, I do have one of the older alesis nitro kids with all rubber pads and they're much more forgiving compared to my roland kit. Best bet is to try and play one of the kits if possible before buying even if it is costco.
Oct 2, 2007
729 posts
249 upvotes
Montreal
I'm a total Noob as a drummer so take this with a grain of salt. I had done research back then for an affordable electronic drum kit and went with the Alesis Nitro Mesh @ 499$ on Amazon because the pads were all mesh. It makes a real nice difference when hitting the pads that make them feel more like a real drum pad. The sticks rebounds like a normal pad. The sound are rather limited though but it did the job for my rather limited experience. Winking Face
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
2987 posts
195 upvotes
Oakville
Total noob as well but wanted to get into it and bought this from Costco for the same price in August last year. I truly enjoy it and have learned and made good progress self teaching via Youtube.
You can plug in your phone and play along your favorite tunes or drumless tracks. No complaints, would definitely buy again, mind you I haven't tried anything else.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
2987 posts
195 upvotes
Oakville
kleung21 wrote:

I also researched this and you can upgrade the snare to the 3-zone yamaha upgrade for $89+ tax @ a later point if you wish making this kit equivalent to the 452 model.
This one? https://cosmomusic.ca/pad-drum-yamaha-t ... r-pad.html
Anyone knows what this fine print means:
"The pad is divided into 3-zones and supports open and closed rimshots when used with a compatible DTX trigger input*"
Is it compatible with the Costco kit?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
3908 posts
1484 upvotes
cil254 wrote: This one? https://cosmomusic.ca/pad-drum-yamaha-t ... r-pad.html
Anyone knows what this fine print means:
"The pad is divided into 3-zones and supports open and closed rimshots when used with a compatible DTX trigger input*"
Is it compatible with the Costco kit?
Yup, OPs set is DTX.

edit - here's Yamana's website showing compatible accessories with OPs kit: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical ... oduct-tabs
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
3908 posts
1484 upvotes
cil254 wrote: Awesome, thanks!
no problem. From that page, the Costco kit already has the KP65 upgrade (kick pad), which supports double bass.
Nov 7, 2017
93 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
A fun way to learn to play is to hook up a Mad Catz MIDI adapter and play RockBand on a console with the drum set. I use the Wii version but also available on X360 PS3 and PS4.
Koodo 39$/10GB
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2443 posts
1489 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
OP, have you looked on Kijiji or FB marketplace or any other selling platform? There are many parents who buy expensive instruments for their kids, only to gather dust. You can probably get much better kits (Roland) for cheaper and barely used. Just make sure that when you buy, the system is fully hooked up and all components are working. Also, getting a manual and receipt for warranty purposes will help. All you have to do is ask.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest, Friendliest & Most Haunted town in Canada
Support local small business
Oct 14, 2020
1 posts
3 upvotes
Hey OP,

I have this exact kit (minus the throne) and have been playing it regularly for about 5 years. For a beginner/intermediate, I absolutely recommend it and this price is a great deal, especially with the throne. I paid about the same, but had to get my own throne. Based on the picture alone, I'd say don't expect much from the throne. It doesn't look very comfy, but I'm sure it will do the trick. The kit itself is great. Has held up very well for 5+ years of me bashing it, other than some slightly noticeable stick marks on the pads and cymbals it plays and feels the same as day 1. No issues at all with quality. The sound samples are also top notch from Yamaha. All their samples are true genuine sounds sampled from their acoustic kits. Roland's sounds samples are also very good, but you will notice a significant drop off in the Alesis sounds. I've played the Nitro Kit on many occasions (a buddy used to have it). The mesh heads were nice, albeit a bit flimsy feeling, no where near as nice as the Roland mesh heads, but admittedly nicer than the rubber pads. I also found the Nitro frame to be quiet flimsy. When really getting into a groove, the whole thing would shake and move. Cannot say the same about my DTX.

I don't have the 3-zone snare, but I did buy a 3rd symbol so I can have a dedicated ride with 2 crashes. Additional cymbal was about $110 and hooking it up was a breeze. What makes this entry level kit stand out is the App. There's a Yamaha DTX 400 app that allows you to fully customize any of the 10 preconfigured kits. Want to change the sensitivity of the snare? How long the crash rattles for? Maybe dampen the sound of the floor tom? No problem. The over 100 built-in drum samples can also be swapped really easily.

After 5 years the only thing I'd want to change about the kit is to have mesh heads. I've gotten really used to the rubber pads, so I really don't mind them, but it'd be nice to have a realer feel and quieter playing experience. The module is simple, but when paired with the Free App, it does everything I've wanted it to. I've also been able to record with this kit no problem. Downloaded Audacity, also free, and hooked everything up via Aux cables. I've believe there's also a way to record MIDI via USB, but I haven't needed to.

You won't find a better price than this. I haven't seen one in 5 years and musical equipment tends not to go on sale often or for much of a discount, if that helps.

If you have any other questions, fire away.
Dec 30, 2006
281 posts
200 upvotes
Oakville
OMG, this morning I saw your post OP, was not expecting to purchase a drum set... but I've always wanted to play drums and this actually may be a practical way and reasonably priced way for me to try it. So I couldn't resist and bought one! Seems like a decent deal. Now I just have to learn coordination...

Thanks
[OP]
Aug 19, 2004
848 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
StealthFinder wrote: OP, have you looked on Kijiji or FB marketplace or any other selling platform? There are many parents who buy expensive instruments for their kids, only to gather dust. You can probably get much better kits (Roland) for cheaper and barely used. Just make sure that when you buy, the system is fully hooked up and all components are working. Also, getting a manual and receipt for warranty purposes will help. All you have to do is ask.

I've bought used guitars and such from kijiji in the past. The only reason I hesitate with drums is 1) they literally take a beating so there's wear and tear; warranties don't usually transfer and 2) they seem to be overpriced / low number of listings.

Finally, since I'm not ever sure if I'll like it; the Costco satisfaction guarantee is of some value in this case. Both the Casio and Yamaha digital pianos I bought from Costco were good values in the end (kept both) and re-introduced us to the piano.

Hoping the drum set will lead us to another hobby.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1572 posts
659 upvotes
I started drums on a Yamaha kit very similar to this. I've long since upgraded (to a Roland TD9), but the Yamaha was a great beginner kit. I did end up replacing the snare pad with something better after a few months. The rubber pads are alright. Nothing special, but they do the job for the toms.

The only thing I'd suggest (as others have mentioned) is to look for a used one. There's always tons of this stuff on Craigslist (or whatever service is popular in your city).
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
1921 posts
596 upvotes
StealthFinder wrote: OP, have you looked on Kijiji or FB marketplace or any other selling platform? There are many parents who buy expensive instruments for their kids, only to gather dust. You can probably get much better kits (Roland) for cheaper and barely used. Just make sure that when you buy, the system is fully hooked up and all components are working. Also, getting a manual and receipt for warranty purposes will help. All you have to do is ask.
Another benefit of Costco is OP can return the kit if he/she finds it's not for them. I also had a kit of my own (no name brand) and it too collected dust...only because I got this and haven't looked back.

Smaller, portable, and the ability to download and integrate beats via USB. Customization is endless

https://www.amazon.ca/YAMAHA-DTX-MULTI- ... 138&sr=8-2