[OP]
Nov 29, 2014
91 posts
203 upvotes
Scarborough, ON

[Costco] YMMV Kenwood 6.6L (7qt) Stand Mixer 299.97

Saw it posted in this thread, but wanted to highlight it:

costco-costco-scarborough-gta-photo-rep ... #p34927649:

Regular price on the Costco website is $450 ($500 back in 2019) and lowest price seen on amazon was $550 back in 2019

I've been looking for a stand mixer for a long time and from what I have read here are some pros/cons vs the kitchenaid classic/artisan

Pros for Kenwood:
- Better build quality, more metal and less plastic
- Stronger motor (800W vs 325W Artisan/250W Classic)
- Bigger capacity (7Qt vs 5Qt Artisan/4.5Qt Classic)
- Attachments are all metal (Dough Hook and Beater are Nylon Coated for the Kitchenaid Classic)
- Better $ for performance/capacity
- Costco Return Policy

Pros for Kitchenaid:
- Lighter, smaller and easier for storage
- More readily available attachments
- Sometimes cheaper ($200 a month ago for the classic)

Personally I think this is for individuals who bake at a minimum on a weekly basis, have the counter top space, and enjoy making bread/thick dough. The Kitchenaid Mixers will not come close to this for performance to dollar ratio, but I agree that this is overkill for the average person.

Reviews of the mixer:
https://www.everythingkitchens.com/kenw ... eview.html
https://www.everythingkitchens.com/kitc ... rison.html

Last edited by Avalon127 on Aug 31st, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Summary
Not sure what to look for? RFD Reviews has a roundup of the best stand mixers!
31 replies
Aug 27, 2015
249 posts
256 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
upvote for the analysis and comparison

it's a solid deal.
Aug 14, 2004
128 posts
188 upvotes
I don't think the Kitchenaid attachments are plastic. They are coated which makes them dishwasher safe. The old ones get a lovely black oxidation coating on them when someone puts them into the dishwasher.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1513 posts
2417 upvotes
This is a great deal. I'd be all over it if I still have the time for baking.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2014
91 posts
203 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
mayhan wrote: I don't think the Kitchenaid attachments are plastic. They are coated which makes them dishwasher safe. The old ones get a lovely black oxidation coating on them when someone puts them into the dishwasher.
Ah your right! Sorry about that they are metal, but Nylon coated. Made the change in the post
Dec 25, 2010
968 posts
344 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone see this in Greater Vancouver?
Aug 18, 2011
275 posts
293 upvotes
North York
Orpheus wrote: Anyone see this in Greater Vancouver?
Item number in the picture: 1072771

Almost all Costco warehouse employees that answer the phone can tell you stock of items and in nearby warehouses.
Dec 3, 2005
877 posts
1018 upvotes
S
I just bought one, intending to supplement my ankarsrum.

First impression:

1. Tested the Kenwood with a 500g flour, 260ml water dough for scallion buns. The noise it made and the way the motor head wiggled made me very nervous. The dough turned out fine, but I'd be scared to do a larger batch in the Kenwood. I usually do 2.3kg dough for Neapolitan pizza in the ankarsrum in one batch.

2. Made an 8inch (4" tall) chiffon cake with 5 eggs. The meringue took longer than expected. Adding sugar through the plastic shield was easy. The cake turned out perfect. Since it took longer, I suspected the clearance between the whisk and the bowl wasn't optimal, so I adjusted it to be closer.

3. Made macarons using the adjusted whisk clearance. This tests small batch meringue capability as I only used 2 egg whites (72g). The meringue took 15minutes, longer than my usual time with the ankarsrum (~8-10min). Macarons turned out perfect.

My experience with this Kenwood is very similar to the KitchenAid 6qt bowl lift. They are great for regular home kitchens and offer excellent value. They'll last, as long as they are not frequently stressed by stiff or large batches of dough.
Last edited by MELPOMENE on Aug 31st, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1315 posts
1195 upvotes
I have an older version of this mixer and, while it's a solid unit, be forewarned that unless this unit takes a different model, the meat-grinder attachment (AT950A) is no longer available from Kenwood. There are a few out there on the secondary market but they're hard to find and very expensive.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12174 posts
6018 upvotes
We have the kitchenaid classic bought for $120 when zellers was closing there locations out here and had sales and 50% off everything, now this one seems pretty nice and looks better. We dont have any attachments but wife did want the pasta one.Worth an upgrade or not so much since we already own the kitchenaid?
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Apr 13, 2005
334 posts
129 upvotes
Kitchener
I have the smaller version of this I paid for $350 which I thought was a smoking deal at the time. This is the best quality to price ratio I've seen for a home use stand mixer. Plus the Costco return policy in case you somehow blow it up. But don't count on finding any other attachments for it. Very difficult to source.
Mar 16, 2008
385 posts
667 upvotes
blazed16 wrote: We have the kitchenaid classic bought for $120 when zellers was closing there locations out here and had sales and 50% off everything, now this one seems pretty nice and looks better. We dont have any attachments but wife did want the pasta one.Worth an upgrade or not so much since we already own the kitchenaid?
It's worth the upgrade. If you bake bread you can double the recipe with the Kenwood.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2512 posts
945 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
Good thread, thanks for the comparison. I think this one has too much capacity for me, but otherwise seems like a great deal.
Sep 6, 2020
79 posts
89 upvotes
It is worth every penny. I bought it last year at the full price on costco.ca and enjoyed it ever since.

It is a no-brainer at a .97 price in the warehouse.
Mar 16, 2008
385 posts
667 upvotes
There were none in Marche Central either.
Are there any left in the Montreal area?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3208 posts
1175 upvotes
Lévis
Upvoted too for the details.
Some peoples might provide an explaination but the watts is not a good thing to compare between brands.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1056 posts
1276 upvotes
NB
Avalon127 wrote:
Personally I think this is for individuals who bake at a minimum on a weekly basis, have the counter top space, and enjoy making bread/thick dough. The Kitchenaid Mixers will not come close to this for performance to dollar ratio, but I agree that this is overkill for the average person.
Great deal.

For those who do NOT have tons of kitchen space, Bosch Compact MUM series is a good option. These little machines are extremely flexible, and with 400W power can do practically anything. Ours is almost ten years old, still going strong. The bowl size is smaller vs Kenwood, but the machine’s footprint is also tiny.
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"