• Feb 29th, 2020 4:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
8884 posts
4095 upvotes
Markham

[Costco] Zavida Organica whole bean coffee $10.99

I know there are a number of ppl who buy this coffee so I gave it a standalone thread.

This coffee is medium/dark roast. Somewhere in between Timmies and Starbucks - kindof like McD's coffee.

For those coffee experts who pay like $15 a pound, this may not be for you.

$10.99 for 907 g
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
70 replies
Apr 4, 2018
128 posts
75 upvotes
I love these coffee beans and I am picky!

Thanks OP.
May 17, 2017
244 posts
503 upvotes
can anyone comment how these compare to Kirkland brand?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3458 posts
2565 upvotes
Ottawa
This price is for in-store. You can see the sale and warehouse coupons here

Valid from Feb. 24 to Mar. 1, 2020
Rainforest Alliance organic coffee 907g
Item 108934
Warehouse price: $14.99
Instant savings: -$4.00
YOUR COST: $10.99

Online price costs more with shipping and sold in a 2-pack only:
Zavida Organica Whole Bean Organic Coffee 2 x 907g Bags
Item 346605
Online Price $35.99
Less -$8.00
Your Price $27.99

I find that these beans are a bit oily so they MAY NOT work on your automatic machines as some machines are quite sensitive to oily beans. Tried them once after many people on RFD rave about them but I still prefer Lavazza Crema e Aroma after trying many different types.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
8884 posts
4095 upvotes
Markham
gumby wrote: This price is for in-store. You can see the sale and warehouse coupons here

Valid from Feb. 24 to Mar. 1, 2020
Rainforest Alliance organic coffee 907g
Item 108934
Warehouse price: $14.99
Instant savings: -$4.00
YOUR COST: $10.99

Online price costs more with shipping and sold in a 2-pack only:
Zavida Organica Whole Bean Organic Coffee 2 x 907g Bags
Item 346605
Online Price $35.99
Less -$8.00
Your Price $27.99

I find that these beans are a bit oily so they MAY NOT work on your automatic machines as some machines are quite sensitive to oily beans. Tried them once after many people on RFD rave about them but I still prefer Lavazza Crema e Aroma after trying many different types.
I don't find these oily....i found Lavazza crema a bit lighter roast than this.

For $11, it's a bargain IMO and the turnover at Costco is good.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 1, 2016
812 posts
779 upvotes
I tried it and it smells nice, but i cant seems to make a good coffee with this. I grind the beans fresh and use a french press to make the coffee (dont have a coffee machine). Not sure what i am doing wrong but it tastes always tooo bitter
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1399 posts
953 upvotes
Toronto
Bubblegum86 wrote: I tried it and it smells nice, but i cant seems to make a good coffee with this. I grind the beans fresh and use a french press to make the coffee (dont have a coffee machine). Not sure what i am doing wrong but it tastes always tooo bitter
Check your ratios, water temperature and most impacting normally is extraction time. French press is a bit sensitive to timing, especially compared to pour over methods (where gravity takes care of part of it)
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Dec 1, 2016
812 posts
779 upvotes
neonic wrote: Check your ratios, water temperature and most impacting normally is extraction time. French press is a bit sensitive to timing, especially compared to pour over methods (where gravity takes care of part of it)
I use what they recommend: One cup of water, one scoop of ground coffee. I boil water and let it sit for 1 minute so it is not to hot and then pour a bit to soak the coffee, let sit for a sec and then fill the french press. I tried letting it sit for 30 sec, 1 minute, 2 minutes and it is always to bitter :(
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1399 posts
953 upvotes
Toronto
Bubblegum86 wrote: I use what they recommend: One cup of water, one scoop of ground coffee. I boil water and let it sit for 1 minute so it is not to hot and then pour a bit to soak the coffee, let sit for a sec and then fill the french press. I tried letting it sit for 30 sec, 1 minute, 2 minutes and it is always to bitter :(
First thing I'd suggest is getting a kitchen scale - they aren't very expensive and helps a lot. Like really a lot. Now timing is a bit easier, as you can use your phone, ask alexa, check a clock on the wall... and maybe get a kettle with temp control, not a big deal, but once you have control over the 3 variables, you can conduct lots of experiments - not a big deal as you can just add some more time after boiling, and control from there.

https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/c ... ench-press
You may try adding a bit of water first to let it bloom like here: https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparatio ... ench-press
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Nov 20, 2006
11 posts
1 upvote
Markham
Can anyone chime in on the acidity of this coffee? I have a preference for coffees with low/lower acidic levels (i.e., how sour is this coffee?)
Mar 18, 2008
451 posts
130 upvotes
neonic wrote: Check your ratios, water temperature and most impacting normally is extraction time. French press is a bit sensitive to timing, especially compared to pour over methods (where gravity takes care of part of it)
That's actually not true. You get a gentle extraction with immersion. so brew time isn't as much of an issue. You can let the coffee extract for 30 minutes with a french press. It won't over-extract. Longer brew times actually result in a sweeter cup.
Aug 27, 2009
945 posts
788 upvotes
This was one of the worst beans we've bought.
Absolutely hated every cup lol.

Tried french press and drip.
Tried more or less beans.
Coarse and fine grind.

I have nightmares of the green frog bag (no).
Dec 1, 2016
812 posts
779 upvotes
neonic wrote: First thing I'd suggest is getting a kitchen scale - they aren't very expensive and helps a lot. Like really a lot. Now timing is a bit easier, as you can use your phone, ask alexa, check a clock on the wall... and maybe get a kettle with temp control, not a big deal, but once you have control over the 3 variables, you can conduct lots of experiments - not a big deal as you can just add some more time after boiling, and control from there.

You may try adding a bit of water first to let it bloom like here: https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparatio ... ench-press
I use a scale when making the coffee. ratios are not the problem, will try hotter/cooler water. Extraction time should be 3-4 minutes on most coffees, maybe this one just needs longer? I will try bottled water next time, maybe the tap water is no good lol
Last edited by Bubblegum86 on Feb 24th, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 1, 2016
812 posts
779 upvotes
Bubblegum86 wrote: I use what they recommend: One cup of water, one scoop of ground coffee. I boil water and let it sit for 1 minute so it is not to hot and then pour a bit to soak the coffee, let sit for a sec and then fill the french press. I tried letting it sit for 30 sec, 1 minute, 2 minutes and it is always to bitter :(
neonic wrote: First thing I'd suggest is getting a kitchen scale - they aren't very expensive and helps a lot. Like really a lot. Now timing is a bit easier, as you can use your phone, ask alexa, check a clock on the wall... and maybe get a kettle with temp control, not a big deal, but once you have control over the 3 variables, you can conduct lots of experiments - not a big deal as you can just add some more time after boiling, and control from there.

I guess it is called Bloom and already doing that :)
Aug 23, 2019
44 posts
20 upvotes
Ah darn, got this coffee for 14.99 not a long time ago.
Loving it. I use Hamilton Beach coffee machine (cheapest on amazon). For 4 cups i use 3 scoops of coffee (scoopy thingy is small, I dont remember where I got it from). For 6 cups - 4 scoops. I use normal kitchen cups, so 4 coffee machine cups = 2 my actual full cups.
For grinder I use Black + Decker.
PS I love my coffee sweet, so I dump a bunch of cream/milk/coconut milt + sugar.