Hot Deals

[Costco] Zephyrus G14 - Ryzen 7 4800HS - 1660Ti Max Q Back in Stock (English only seems available to Quebec!)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 3:11 pm
[OP]
May 10, 2018
40 posts
64 upvotes

[Costco] Zephyrus G14 - Ryzen 7 4800HS - 1660Ti Max Q Back in Stock (English only seems available to Quebec!)

I've been eyeing this laptop for a while, it comes and goes in stock and is usually never available for Quebec. It has everything going for it except for the screen response time which is supposed to be quite slow for FPS, there is no webcam, and the backlit keyboard is allegedly not-so-hot..BUT you get a light gaming laptop with battery power that is outstanding and a 120Hz screen (I have not seen this in person). This version does not have the animatrix outside panel animation but that could be a blessing as you save on extra battery draw. If anyone has this I would love to know if the refresh rate is truly a hindrance before I buy myself as it is double my initial budget.

(Note for Quebec; I added the G14 and protection plan to my cart and was told the protection plan was not shippable to Quebec...they may catch on and fix this soon - if I am not mistaken you can buy the laptop and then add the extra protection plan after-the-fact)
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 15, 2016
5874 posts
1976 upvotes
buffego wrote: I've been eyeing this laptop for a while, it comes and goes in stock and is usually never available for Quebec. It has everything going for it except for the screen response time which is supposed to be quite slow for FPS, there is no webcam, and the backlit keyboard is allegedly not-so-hot..BUT you get a light gaming laptop with battery power that is outstanding and a 120Hz screen (I have not seen this in person). This version does not have the animatrix outside panel animation but that could be a blessing as you save on extra battery draw. If anyone has this I would love to know if the refresh rate is truly a hindrance before I buy myself as it is double my initial budget.

(Note for Quebec; I added the G14 and protection plan to my cart and was told the protection plan was not shippable to Quebec...they may catch on and fix this soon - if I am not mistaken you can buy the laptop and then add the extra protection plan after-the-fact)
Wasn't it 1500 or 1400 at staples or visions?
[OP]
May 10, 2018
40 posts
64 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: Wasn't it 1500 or 1400 at staples or visions?
I posted this uniquely for Quebecers, we have no way of obtaining this laptop due to language restrictions :( Visions had a version on sale for 200$ off but it was in-store only and very limited stock. Staples has not had this in stock for a long time I check periodically.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1222 posts
1136 upvotes
buffego wrote: I posted this uniquely for Quebecers, we have no way of obtaining this laptop due to language restrictions :( Visions had a version on sale for 200$ off but it was in-store only and very limited stock. Staples has not had this in stock for a long time I check periodically.
Shop to a Costco in a province closest to you and pick up? can't have the cake and eat it too Face With Rolling Eyes
May 16, 2010
58 posts
10 upvotes
Scarborough
This is actually a good find, the g14 is very hard to find stock for. Visions had it for 1499 for an afternoon but eta was 2-3 weeks shipping time. Finding at 1699 is difficult everywhere not just quebec
[OP]
May 10, 2018
40 posts
64 upvotes
Bubblegum86 wrote: Shop to a Costco in a province closest to you and pick up? can't have the cake and eat it too Face With Rolling Eyes
My 'cake' is wanting an even playing field wherein as a consumer I can buy the same products as everyone else in the world, is that not fair? Quebec is full of exceptions and exemptions from everything it's ridiculous
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2014
1115 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto, ON
buffego wrote: My 'cake' is wanting an even playing field wherein as a consumer I can buy the same products as everyone else in the world, is that not fair? Quebec is full of exceptions and exemptions from everything it's ridiculous
The rest of the world has restrictions too, it's unfortunate but Quebec has better consumer protection laws than the rest of Canada so I don't disagree with companies that limit how they do business there, they're just trying to protect themselves.
[OP]
May 10, 2018
40 posts
64 upvotes
alkaint wrote: ...companies that limit how they do business there, they're just trying to protect themselves.
I honestly did not consider it was ASUS that refused to sell in Quebec, I just assumed it was provincial Government restrictions because the unit was English-only
Dec 19, 2012
77 posts
133 upvotes
CALGARY
This is an excellent computer. I was shocked at how solid the build quality is. Obviously it was $200 off a few days ago, but it's honestly worth full price, especially with the Costco warranty. It's the first Ryzen machine I've tried that doesn't have significant tradeoffs in the quality of the screen, keyboard, build, or other components. Only downside I've found so far is that the fans run pretty regularly even when switching on silent mode.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
3265 posts
200 upvotes
Markham, Ontario
It was 1499 at Visions. However its now back to 1699.