Hot Deals

[Costco] Zwilling Euroline Bob Kramer Damascus Chef's Knife 8" $349.99 and 10" $399.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2020 12:50 am
[OP]
Aug 20, 2005
42 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Zwilling Euroline Bob Kramer Damascus Chef's Knife 8" $349.99 and 10" $399.99

Came across these knives on Costco website. I don't own any myself but have read good reviews, and price looks solid.

8 inch chef's knife $349.99 (17 in stock)
https://www.costco.ca/zwilling-euroline ... 55944.html

10 inch chef's knife $399.99 (34 in stock)
https://www.costco.ca/zwilling-euroline ... 55718.html
65 replies
Jan 14, 2017
294 posts
187 upvotes
Thank you, OP. Good find. Prices are still TDH. One can do better during Zwilling sales or some deals in the US - sales are seasonal and no return policy unlike Costco.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2374 posts
1579 upvotes
North York
Mothers day is coming up. How long does this stay sharp if it's just cutting up soft meat and vegetables?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1806 posts
3679 upvotes
Believe it or not, these prices are actually pretty low for these knives.

Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
1645 posts
247 upvotes
i recall coming across a few reviews that were mentioning the lack of smoothness of each cut. I think it was attributed to the damascus pattern and height of the blade. Although it was mentioned to be a minor difference, it was still noticeable and that's what was holding me back from getting it at the time
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4047 posts
5159 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
KiraSensei wrote: Mothers day is coming up. How long does this stay sharp if it's just cutting up soft meat and vegetables?
You'll need to sharpen it a couple of times a year. This is definitely overkill for most people.
Last edited by Nikhilvoid on May 3rd, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
3002 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, i so want to try one and slice everything with it. Like how sharp is sharp.
May 30, 2006
431 posts
183 upvotes
I own several Kramer Euroline including the 10" purchased a few years ago when Zwilling had a massive sale. I think it was like 70% off.

It is true that the Damascus pattern is not smooth as you would find on most Japanese Damascus knives. The blade is also a bit thick. But they are beautiful knives and excellent quality. The edge hold longer than some of the equally priced Japanese knives that I own.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2374 posts
1579 upvotes
North York
nextguy wrote: I own several Kramer Euroline including the 10" purchased a few years ago when Zwilling had a massive sale. I think it was like 70% off.

It is true that the Damascus pattern is not smooth as you would find on most Japanese Damascus knives. The blade is also a bit thick. But they are beautiful knives and excellent quality. The edge hold longer than some of the equally priced Japanese knives that I own.
How often do you hone and sharpen? What do you use to sharpen and how long does it take to sharpen? I'm just wondering if it's worth getting this for mi mom and doing the sharpening every time for her
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1372 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
I would say because the kramer knives are a bit thicker compared to japanese chef knives, these might actually survive being gifted to mothers.

The easiest way to keep these relatively sharp is a ceramic honing rod.

I think I paid around this much during the 50% off zwilling sale.
kthxbye
May 30, 2006
431 posts
183 upvotes
KiraSensei wrote: How often do you hone and sharpen? What do you use to sharpen and how long does it take to sharpen? I'm just wondering if it's worth getting this for mi mom and doing the sharpening every time for her
I will sharpen with a 4000 and 1000 grit whetstone every few months followed by a leather strap and they will easily glide vertically through a sheet of paper. But it really depends on how the knives feel so I don't sharpen regularly. I use them literally every day and I don't sharpen very often. I also pretty much stopped using a steel to hone the knives. Compared to my Japanese knives there is much less maintenance. But as I mentioned, they have the negative of being thicker and the Damascus pattern is raised. Fine knife work is not as easy with the Kramers.
May 30, 2015
46 posts
27 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
nextguy wrote: I will sharpen with a 4000 and 1000 grit whetstone every few months followed by a leather strap and they will easily glide vertically through a sheet of paper. But it really depends on how the knives feel so I don't sharpen regularly. I use them literally every day and I don't sharpen very often. I also pretty much stopped using a steel to hone the knives. Compared to my Japanese knives there is much less maintenance. But as I mentioned, they have the negative of being thicker and the Damascus pattern is raised. Fine knife work is not as easy with the Kramers.
Don’t forget the most important and deal breaker for some is that you can’t dishwasher the knives or it will lose its edge. I was gonna dip my toes into fancy knives but their social distancing has made me stay at home and cook more. Too lazy to hand wash things after cooking and eating.

I just take cheap knives and whetstone and strop more often instead. If I grind out a knife in a year, only 20 bucks down the drain.
May 30, 2006
431 posts
183 upvotes
Eddiebtz wrote: Don’t forget the most important and deal breaker for some is that you can’t dishwasher the knives or it will lose its edge. I was gonna dip my toes into fancy knives but their social distancing has made me stay at home and cook more. Too lazy to hand wash things after cooking and eating.

I just take cheap knives and whetstone and strop more often instead. If I grind out a knife in a year, only 20 bucks down the drain.
For me cooking is a craft and I take fanatical care of my cooking tools so hand washing the knives is no big deal.

My wife's grandmother bought our family and my wife's sister's family a beautiful set of Laguiole steak knives from the village they are named for. At dinner one time at the sister's place she put the Laguioles in the dishwasher after the meal! I almost had a heart attack.
Apr 24, 2012
95 posts
34 upvotes
CALGARY
KiraSensei wrote: Mothers day is coming up. How long does this stay sharp if it's just cutting up soft meat and vegetables?
If your mother does not already take excellent care of her knifes please do not buy her this knife. These knifes are made of really hard steel which allows then to hold an edge longer/ stay sharper longer without sharping them as much. It will also allow you to get them sharper then a cheaper knife. But, having said that it comes at a cost, if she cuts into a bone with it she will chip/ break the knife. If she uses a fork while carving meat a nicks it she again will chip the blade. Ever couple times she uses the knife she should be honing it on a ceramic honing rod (you should hone ever knife all the time). If she doesn't have a wood for plastic cutting board this is the wrong knife.

Basically, if you're asking how long does it stay shard this is the wrong knife... not trying to be mean to rude, this is a really expensive an nice knife and should be taken care of

oh yeah and never ever dishwasher a chefs knife , always hand wash
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1441 posts
2647 upvotes
Markham
Newbies tend to sharpen their knives too much. If you don't use it often, and don't treat your knife like a cleaver (please don't do that to your expensive knives), you shouldn't really sharpen more than once a year. You should, however, hone it often (as with all knives).