• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 1:09 pm
[OP]
Sep 17, 2013
12 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary

[Costco] Zwilling Meiji Bob Kramer 7 in. Santoku Knife - $279.99

Everything on Costco.ca was more expensive than at the warehouse, even with the "sales" as I was looking for the best way to spend my new sign up coupon. Been looking to up my cutting game from my Kiwi knives so I figured I would splurge with my COVID savings. Came across this knife on Costco, there's a few other Bob Kramer lines, as well as Miyabis that are cheap (in comparison to other vendors).

When I spoke to Costco, knife orders are actually being sent to Zwilling, and Zwilling will be shipping them out directly to you. Took a while to get the shipping processed (13 days).

Caveat:
  • For those who are trying to figure out how to maximize the $60 of $100 spend
  • Expensive knives, not for everybody, but seems like the cheapest of these fantastic looking and feeling knives (they have them at the Zwilling stores if you want to go try it out)
4 replies
Apr 30, 2020
274 posts
305 upvotes
Vancouver
i'm way too careless with my knives, thats why i only use victorinox plastic handled stainless knives.

super nice though and the price actually seems really good for this
[OP]
Sep 17, 2013
12 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
You're definitely paying more for the "damascus look" and Kramer brand for sure.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1299 posts
1172 upvotes
Beautiful knife, but people should be aware that it is stainless, not high-carbon steel:

"FC61 STEEL . . .is Henckels’ proprietary name for Sandvik 13C27—a fine-grained stainless steel from Sweden that’s been heat-treated to HRC61. This steel is harder than your average high-quality German knife by Wusthof or Henckels (generally HRC 57-59) which allows it to take a keen edge and keep it. It will not take quite as sharp an edge as the 52100 steel the Carbon is hewn from, and not be quite as easy to sharpen. But, on the plus side, the Essential should hold it’s edge a bit longer."

These knives have a great reputation, but most of it is based on the original Carbon knife, which was made from the 52100 high-carbon steel, not FC61 Stainless.
Beep\Bop\Boop