Shopping Discussion

Is Costco's return policy really no hassle? for Laptops?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 5:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
3418 posts
3553 upvotes
Montreal

Is Costco's return policy really no hassle? for Laptops?

Hello all so I am planning to get a MacBook pro from Costco due to the 90 day return policy. I am really wondering if I can return in without any issues in 3 months? Is it that easy?
63 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11081 posts
4333 upvotes
danzerino wrote: How is it abusing the policy? I have never done this and we are paying a premium to shop there?
You asked.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Apr 10, 2019
508 posts
1042 upvotes
Ottawa
danzerino wrote: How is it abusing the policy? I have never done this and we are paying a premium to shop there?
Yes to SHOP there, they’re not a RENTAL company.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
3418 posts
3553 upvotes
Montreal
GrumpyOne1 wrote: Yes to SHOP there, they’re not a RENTAL company.
Yes but for a $3000 laptop I would like to try it to make sure its worth it for me. That is not abusing
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
It is how you asked the question.

If you asked "I've bought a laptop in May, now the screen has gone dark, they have a 90-days return policy, can I return it?". Then yes, you can return it, returning it in 90-days is not the intention.

But your question now is " I am planning to get a MacBook pro from Costco due to the 90 day return policy. I am really wondering if I can return in without any issues in 3 months". This question showed intent in returning it in 3-months. A person who has the intention of keeping the laptop will not ask this question. He is comforted that if the laptop fails, he can return it in the 3-month period. A person who is returning a broken laptop will not have any worries about issues in returning the laptop. But the way you asked your question suggests you are concern with returning a working laptop in 3-months and thus raised the "rental" issue which abuses the return policy, which in turn may cause Costco to change the generous return policy.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20415 posts
8810 upvotes
Toronto
To answer your question yes before 90 days worry free return, no questions asked. Simple as that.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
You said 'return without any issues' which is vague for me.

If you purchase the macbook and find out its not really useful for you/don't like its features after three months, then it's a legit reason Imo.

Otherwise, why not resell it to someone instead? Apple products devalue slow.
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13037 posts
8284 upvotes
Markham
stack21 wrote: It is how you asked the question.

If you asked "I've bought a laptop in May, now the screen has gone dark, they have a 90-days return policy, can I return it?". Then yes, you can return it, returning it in 90-days is not the intention.

But your question now is " I am planning to get a MacBook pro from Costco due to the 90 day return policy. I am really wondering if I can return in without any issues in 3 months". This question showed intent in returning it in 3-months. A person who has the intention of keeping the laptop will not ask this question. He is comforted that if the laptop fails, he can return it in the 3-month period. A person who is returning a broken laptop will not have any worries about issues in returning the laptop. But the way you asked your question suggests you are concern with returning a working laptop in 3-months and thus raised the "rental" issue which abuses the return policy, which in turn may cause Costco to change the generous return policy.
Agree not abuse policy, otherwise we will all be worse off

Just for argument's sake, in the link another RFDer provided, it said

"On Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction with every product we sell"

Dissatisfaction doesn't necessarily mean defects, it could be features, designe, eco system....
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19128 posts
18996 upvotes
Richmond Hill
danzerino wrote: Yes but for a $3000 laptop I would like to try it to make sure its worth it for me. That is not abusing
How can you not know? If you are unsure why not go to the apple store and talk to a “genius” to see what is suitable for your needs. They even encourage you to purchase to use for 2 weeks and if you’re not satisfied you can return it with ZERO hassle. That would be the proper thing to do, but what do I know.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13037 posts
8284 upvotes
Markham
EP32k2 wrote: How can you not know? If you are unsure why not go to the apple store and talk to a “genius” to see what is suitable for your needs. They even encourage you to purchase to use for 2 weeks and if you’re not satisfied you can return it with ZERO hassle. That would be the proper thing to do, but what do I know.
How could purchase for 2 weeks to return it is proper thing but return in 90 days is not?
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
smartie wrote: Agree not abuse policy, otherwise we will all be worse off

Just for argument's sake, in the link another RFDer provided, it said

"On Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction with every product we sell"

Dissatisfaction doesn't necessarily mean defects, it could be features, designe, eco system....
Valid argument but if the majority of the customers do this, then Costco will either have to change the return policy or go bankrupt.

That guarantee works on the assumption the people who are not satisfied with the products Costco sells are in the minority.
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
smartie wrote: How could purchase for 2 weeks to return it is proper thing but return in 90 days is not?
The big difference is the wear-and-tear on the product. A 2-week old laptop is still relative new, can be easily refurbished while a 3-months laptop is not as easy due to obvious wear-and-tear, accumulated dust under the keyboard, etc.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13037 posts
8284 upvotes
Markham
stack21 wrote: Valid argument but if the majority of the customers do this, then Costco will either have to change the return policy or go bankrupt.

That guarantee works on the assumption the people who are not satisfied with the products Costco sells are in the minority.
Totally completely agree

Just say if business promote that kind of return service to attract people to pay membership fee and buy from them, then better keep their words
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
stack21 wrote: Valid argument but if the majority of the customers do this, then Costco will either have to change the return policy or go bankrupt.

If majority are unsatisfied with one product maybe Costco should consider removing it off the shelves...?

I'm totally agasint policy abuse myself :)
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
smartie wrote: Totally completely agree

Just say if business promote that kind of return service to attract people to pay membership fee and buy from them, then better keep their words
There is nothing on Costco website that use the "return service" to sell their membership fee. It is the people here in RFD that use the "return service" to promote Costco.

Costco use "Warehouse Savings" (at top of webpage) to sell their membership fee.

https://www.costco.ca/
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13037 posts
8284 upvotes
Markham
stack21 wrote: There is nothing on Costco website that use the "return service" to sell their membership fee. It is the people here in RFD that use the "return service" to promote Costco.

Costco use "Warehouse Savings" (at top of webpage) to sell their membership fee.

https://www.costco.ca/
Marketing has different methods, they could say it directly, they can create loyal customers base to promote it.

Like you just point out, there are a lot promoters in RFD, there are also a lot blogs to promote Costco, part of reason is return policy

Anyway, we can agree or disagree:)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
3418 posts
3553 upvotes
Montreal
EP32k2 wrote: How can you not know? If you are unsure why not go to the apple store and talk to a “genius” to see what is suitable for your needs. They even encourage you to purchase to use for 2 weeks and if you’re not satisfied you can return it with ZERO hassle. That would be the proper thing to do, but what do I know.
In Covid days I wouldn't do that and I don't take advice from teenagers on a MacBook. Also 14 days is not enough to test it out. I would need 1 month at least
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4384 upvotes
The current solution is they keep track of your returns and if you abuse the policy your membership is revoked. So those who turned "renting" into a habit will eventually be cut off:

https://www.businessinsider.com/costco- ... icy-2018-8

So as you said, the abusers are in the minority because they are shown the door.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)