Travel

costcotravel.ca car rental currency bouncing between USD and CAD?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2021 2:07 pm
[OP]
Apr 25, 2014
249 posts
240 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC

costcotravel.ca car rental currency bouncing between USD and CAD?

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes car rental currency in costcotravel.ca is in USD and sometimes in CAD?

For example, yesterday I was looking at renting a car in LAX and I was quoted in CAD. I didn't go ahead and book it as I had to confirm some extra details about my trip (my bad, should have as they all have free cancellation), but now all of them have gone up in price and I'm being quoted in USD?

I've seen this in the past and the prices usually go back to CAD after a couple of days, but I'm not sure if anyone has noticed a trend or something with why the website flips back and forth between CAD and USD.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4674 posts
2077 upvotes
Durham Region
I have never seen Costcotravel.ca quote in CAD for a US reservation before. That's interesting.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2014
249 posts
240 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
Okay so you are right, for some reason from my Macbook the website doesn't prefix the price with either US or CA, and at the bottom it says "all prices in CAD unless specified", so I assumed the prices were in CAD. I went ahead and did a booking, and indeed, received a confirmation email saying the price was in USD.

Even going back to the confirmation page on Costco Travel the prices don't indicate that they are in USD anywhere...

Oh well... I guess that's mystery solved.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16695 posts
11844 upvotes
Toronto
I've been checking both Costcotravel.com and Costcotravel.ca multiple times a day for the past 2 weeks for my upcoming vacation, prices are always in USD on both sites.

My rental originally almost $1300 USD and it's now under $700.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15243 posts
20515 upvotes
Vancouver
@MRebel23 Unrelated tip for BC residents renting cars in California: DO NOT pay the exorbitant fee the rental agent will charge you for liability insurance. They will charge you an arm and a leg for coverage that only goes up to the state minimum of $20k, which is nothing. Your BC driver's licence already comes with $200k of liability insurance. Just show them proof of that (page 24 of this PDF) and they will waive the charge. Tons of BC residents don't know this and get scammed into paying for this unneeded coverage.

$200k is really not enough either so you can buy more from ICBC before you leave. It's cheap. Or if you own a car in BC and have Roadstar you can bring your liability insurance with you.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2014
249 posts
240 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
Kiraly wrote: @MRebel23 Unrelated tip for BC residents renting cars in California: DO NOT pay the exorbitant fee the rental agent will charge you for liability insurance. They will charge you an arm and a leg for coverage that only goes up to the state minimum of $20k, which is nothing. Your BC driver's licence already comes with $200k of liability insurance. Just show them proof of that (page 24 of this PDF) and they will waive the charge. Tons of BC residents don't know this and get scammed into paying for this unneeded coverage.

$200k is really not enough either so you can buy more from ICBC before you leave. It's cheap. Or if you own a car in BC and have Roadstar you can bring your liability insurance with you.
Thanks for the tip! I didn't know the BC resident part. I actually always brought my Roadstar printout but that's good to know if I'm ever without a car, thanks!
Nov 28, 2017
799 posts
808 upvotes
Swerny wrote: I've been checking both Costcotravel.com and Costcotravel.ca multiple times a day for the past 2 weeks for my upcoming vacation, prices are always in USD on both sites.

My rental originally almost $1300 USD and it's now under $700.
Do you get different rates on the two sites?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16695 posts
11844 upvotes
Toronto
nevyn1234 wrote: Do you get different rates on the two sites?
yes Canada is more expensive
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4674 posts
2077 upvotes
Durham Region
nevyn1234 wrote: Do you get different rates on the two sites?
Different codes with the rental companies, so different rates:

Costco Canada Contract ID for Alamo: 7016405
Costco Canada Contract ID for Enterprise: CSTCUCA or CSTCCAN
Costco Canada AWD code for Avis: C857500
Costco Canada BCD code for Budget: A017600

Costco US Contract ID for Alamo: 7014627
Costco US Contract ID for Enterprise: CSTCUPG or CSTCVST
Costco US AWD code for Avis: A108326
Costco US BCD code for Budget: W852802