None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6040 posts
2699 upvotes
Winnipeg

Cottage wifi

Does anyone have any recommendations on boosting a wifi signal for the cottage?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4500 posts
987 upvotes
London
Ubiquiti UniFi AP. Nice thing about a cottage, you don't have to worry about interference so the 2.4GHz band is all you need. No need to use dual-band or anything.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16799 posts
2464 upvotes
Ubiquti also has outdoor models too (very affordable) - so you can mount a omni-directional antenna on the top of your cottage and enjoy WiFi by the lake :D
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6040 posts
2699 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thx...can i just tether it with my cell phone?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4500 posts
987 upvotes
London
Your internet source is just from a cell phone? That makes things a bit more difficult. You'll need to get a WiFi repeater or connect a receiver with an AP back to back.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16799 posts
2464 upvotes
airmail wrote: Thx...can i just tether it with my cell phone?
Yes, although a better method would be to get a data stick + 3G router. This will provide you with a solid connection and won't tie up your cell phone.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11638 posts
2615 upvotes
Montreal
coolspot wrote: Yes, although a better method would be to get a data stick + 3G router. This will provide you with a solid connection and won't tie up your cell phone.
It would "tie up" his phone because he'd need to take out the SIM card and put it in the 3G router.
Otherwise, he'd need a second account with a data plan.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14876 upvotes
coolspot wrote: Ubiquti also has outdoor models too (very affordable) - so you can mount a omni-directional antenna on the top of your cottage and enjoy WiFi by the lake :D
Or across the lake if you have a large enough antenna.
airmail wrote: Thx...can i just tether it with my cell phone?
Yes. You're looking at a bit more equipment though. I have a setup similar to this as a failover for my ISP at home.
You need a wireless to ethernet device (most travel routers can do this, I forget the actual name of the device). Broadcast your phone and let the wireless to ethernet device pick it up. It should push the signal to the Ethernet port.
Then you'd use it like any other source of internet.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16799 posts
2464 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: It would "tie up" his phone because he'd need to take out the SIM card and put it in the 3G router.
Otherwise, he'd need a second account with a data plan.
Personally I would just get a second SIM card.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
Don't go with Wind Mobile..btw. Tried it..total fail.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14876 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: Don't go with Wind Mobile..btw. Tried it..total fail.
This post is a total fail.
I have an AP with Wind and it works fine.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11638 posts
2615 upvotes
Montreal
coolspot wrote: Personally I would just get a second SIM card.
Depends on the data package.

I have a 6GB data package for my phone which costs peanuts, but if I were to get a second SIM card, they'd force me on a bagillion dollar plan for 1MB.
death_hawk wrote: This post is a total fail.
I have an AP with Wind and it works fine.
It depends WHERE
Mar 28, 2015
338 posts
104 upvotes
Rural AB
You could try the 20Gb @ $100 data only sim (prepaid) data lasts 365days or until used which ever the sooner for a cottage/rv use its pretty good
you'd just need a cell mifi unit for the sim or a cheap second cell phone which has hotspot setting.
Search the forum you will find how to get this deal
All the best
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6040 posts
2699 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thx for all the tips..
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6040 posts
2699 upvotes
Winnipeg
carbonfilter wrote: You could try the 20Gb @ $100 data only sim (prepaid) data lasts 365days or until used which ever the sooner for a cottage/rv use its pretty good
you'd just need a cell mifi unit for the sim or a cheap second cell phone which has hotspot setting.
Search the forum you will find how to get this deal
All the best
The mifi doesn't seem to get very good reviews.
There is abusiness close by to the cottage and have the password. How far would a signal booster work to tap in? Would I just direct it to the business?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
eldiablo wrote: Don't go with Wind Mobile..btw. Tried it..total fail.
Wait a minute. Wind signal does not extend to the cottage (re subject matter) at all. And it will be roaming on Rogers/Bell signal at 5¢/MB Data. Not bad at all. The cost for just checking up email/FB/Whatsapp msg is little. Watching streaming video or games will be costly no matter what.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6040 posts
2699 upvotes
Winnipeg
I think I will increase my phone data plan for starters and get a micro HDMI adapter and hook cell phone to TV. And lower the settings on Netflix for picture quality.
I would only watch a 1-2 movies a weekend

There is a company offering 50gb for 55a month and 100 activation fee