Couch potato investing for the last 18 years - tracking my progress

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2024 3:36 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 1, 2019
212 posts
255 upvotes
MoreDealsPlease wrote: Do you think this changes if the person is planning on retiring early? Let's say early 40s retirement, there is still so many years for compounding to happen that maybe it makes sense to take more risk vs someone retiring at 65. It would be a shame to lose compounding effects from early 40s all the way to 80s or 90s. Now I guess I'm getting into the FIRE stuff and will likely find the answer to this there.
I think you just have to plan more because it depends what you intend to do when you consider yourself "retired". FatFIRE is retiring and living large. LeanFIRE is retiring with minimal expenses.
FIRE also doesn't mean you have to check out of the workforce. It just means the net worth you've built up gives you leverage/freedom to do the things you want to do.
SWR rules are also different because you're drawing from your nest egg earlier.

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindep ... flections/
https://www.reddit.com/r/leanfire/comme ... ire_vs_fi/
https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/wiki/faq

FIRE relies on being able to save at least 50%, preferably more, of your income.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
Hey

I did some one off index "purchases" in my TD Easy Web, I wanted to check to make sure they are all correct but I can't see anywhere that a trade was purchased or not. Is there a way to check?
Apr 23, 2017
31 posts
5 upvotes
QQ.. Is there anything equivalent of VGRO, VBAL, VCIP in US market, I want to buy something today since the markets are down.., I have RBC DI account and have some cash sitting in RRSP US$ account don't want to pay the exchange and would like to purchase something.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
2116 posts
2515 upvotes
gladiator77 wrote: QQ.. Is there anything equivalent of VGRO, VBAL, VCIP in US market, I want to buy something today since the markets are down.., I have RBC DI account and have some cash sitting in RRSP US$ account don't want to pay the exchange and would like to purchase something.
https://www.blackrock.com/us/individual ... -en-us.pdf

Performance of the 4 ETFs since inception.
(right click the slider bar and choose "past week" to see them very short term)

https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf ... 6&O=011000
Dec 1, 2019
212 posts
255 upvotes
gladiator77 wrote: QQ.. Is there anything equivalent of VGRO, VBAL, VCIP in US market, I want to buy something today since the markets are down.., I have RBC DI account and have some cash sitting in RRSP US$ account don't want to pay the exchange and would like to purchase something.
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... estrategy/#/

https://www.ishares.com/us/products/etf ... w=keyFacts
Aug 5, 2011
699 posts
423 upvotes
Hi, relatively investor here looking for some advice on ETF selections for my RRSP and Taxable accounts. My risk tolerance is high and I am going with 100% equities.

Based on CanadianPortfolioManager's previous model ETF portfolios recommendations, I had invested in VCN (20%), IEMG (10%), IEFA (25%) and ITOT (45%).

However, this above strategy requires me to perform Norbert's gambit every time I trade to avoid the currency conversion fees, which is quite a hassle and delays my investment by a week at minimum.

I am now considering XEQT since this can be purchased on Questrade without having to perform Norbert's gambit to avoid the currency conversion fees.

Does anyone know what is the difference in additional MER fees + foreign withholding tax will I be paying with XEQT (rather than the 4-ETF portfolio above)?

Thank you in advance.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
3249 posts
4472 upvotes
Montreal
@ArchEnemy Assuming you are holding XEQT in a TFSA/RRSP the MER will be ~0.21% and foreign withholding tax ~0.22% for a total of 0.43%. Your portfolio is around 0.13% (Total).
Jul 20, 2009
128 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal
So what are all the couch potatoes doing this week? Anyone buying / selling or just relaxing on their couch? :)
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1478 posts
521 upvotes
GTA
Raww wrote: So what are all the couch potatoes doing this week? Anyone buying / selling or just relaxing on their couch? :)
I've flip-flopped a few times and ended up doing nothing so far! How about you?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
Raww wrote: So what are all the couch potatoes doing this week? Anyone buying / selling or just relaxing on their couch? :)
Just relaxing on the couch and trolling people who aren't... You?
-
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
3249 posts
4472 upvotes
Montreal
How times changed. In the 2008 crash I lost around 60k which was extremely stressful. In the last 2 weeks I lost around 100k and zero fuc*s given.
FEB2020.png
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
Germack wrote: How times changed. In the 2008 crash I lost around 60k which was extremely stressful. In the last 2 weeks I lost around 100k and zero fuc*s given.

FEB2020.png
Respect.
-
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1011 upvotes
Saskatoon
Germack wrote: How times changed. In the 2008 crash I lost around 60k which was extremely stressful. In the last 2 weeks I lost around 100k and zero fuc*s given.

FEB2020.png
In 2008 you lost what % of your portfolio ?
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
ukrainiandude wrote: In 2008 you lost what % of your portfolio ?
Why does it matter? I lost ~40% of it. Does that help?
-
Aug 2, 2015
182 posts
369 upvotes
ksgill wrote: Why does it matter? I lost ~40% of it. Does that help?
It matters because it is much easier psychologically to deal with a loss of a constant/comparable sum of money when you already have "enough" money. In this case, based on the OP's chart in the comment above, that 60k in 2008 was about 30% loss, while currently the 100K loss was only about 6.5%. So it is logical that a paper loss of 100K of 1.6mil base is easier to digest than a 60K loss on a base of ~200K.

In a great scheme of things such paper losses are immaterial of cause, since no one with a long time investment horizon should care about such paper losses, while anyone with a short/medium time investment horizon should not be invested in mostly equities.
Apr 23, 2017
31 posts
5 upvotes
Hello Germack,

What tool are you using track your Net worth, yearly contributions etc. ? Is it just excel?
I would like to start tracking something like what you have been doing, I have accounts with 3 brokerages, Would you mind sharing a sample, might be helpful for some people in the forum here... Sorry if I am asking too much.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2214 posts
3798 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
So your love life is suffering because of this little market correction?!? Confused Face
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I'm no longer young.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10356 posts
1478 upvotes
Toronto
I am not going to touch those existing mutual fund/index fund/stock investments at this moment during the bear market..... However, I have some cash parked in my investment account. I wonder if this is now the opportunity to buy something when they are all at very low price. Buy more index funds ?

Thanks for any advice.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1011 upvotes
Saskatoon
Is there any alternative for all equity balanced ETF in US dollars? Similar to XEQT
Thanks
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)