• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2021 8:29 am
Tags:
None
Apr 5, 2017
565 posts
107 upvotes
vivmk20 wrote: If your long term means 5+ years then definitely ETF
If I want to buy ETF's through TD web-broker, what's the best one's for long term RRSP and RESP.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2212 posts
1914 upvotes
Montreal
MK1986 wrote: If I want to buy ETF's through TD web-broker, what's the best one's for long term RRSP and RESP.
VAB
Nov 16, 2013
675 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
MK1986 wrote: If I want to buy ETF's through TD web-broker, what's the best one's for long term RRSP and RESP.
RRSP - VOO - S&P 500 in USD

RESP - Vanguard Conservative ETF Portfolio (VCNS-TSX
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2212 posts
1914 upvotes
Montreal
MK1986 wrote:
If I want to buy ETF's through TD web-broker, what's the best one's for long term RRSP and RESP.
profile wrote: Why bonds?
I got confused. I thought he meant GIC vs. a bond ETF.

VBAL/VGRO or VAB + VEQT would be good options for RESP and RRSP.
May 4, 2018
67 posts
33 upvotes
BC, Canada
Sorry this might be asked already, but given the pandemic etc, does one recommend resuming dollar cost averaging for long term ETFs? Or should we hold off? I don't know if we've seen the s&p500 bottom yet but then again, I'm not an expert in this.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6264 posts
2717 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
blackcoffeetings wrote: Sorry this might be asked already, but given the pandemic etc, does one recommend resuming dollar cost averaging for long term ETFs? Or should we hold off? I don't know if we've seen the s&p500 bottom yet but then again, I'm not an expert in this.
Should never have stopped DCA... idea is to continue buying no matter conditions... sometimes you buy on sale and sometimes you buy at a premium.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2212 posts
1914 upvotes
Montreal
georvu wrote: Should never have stopped DCA... idea is to continue buying no matter conditions... sometimes you buy on sale and sometimes you buy at a premium.
+1
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
1586 posts
378 upvotes
Mississauga
I have some spare cash apart from my regular DCA amounts and thinking of buying some sale products like individual stocks related to oil or banks..

any one would recommend as i dont have much knowledge other than the CCP ETFs (VAB/VCN/VUN/XEC/XEF)
Aug 8, 2013
199 posts
228 upvotes
Delta
would VGRO be good enough to start DCA or should I do VEQT 70% and VGRO 30%
Jul 4, 2018
343 posts
244 upvotes
My plan is to invest 20,000 in ETFs
Planning to invest 25% as onetime purchase
Then set weekly purchase for another 50%
Then want to keep another 25% for any other repeat of March 23rd or April 1st market

Please advice if it’s ok
Nov 23, 2014
149 posts
34 upvotes
East York, ON
Germack wrote: +1
What do you recommend for very large portfolios, say $1,000,000 or $4,000,000 starting now from just cash with a 20 year time horizon?

VRGO is at 0.25% MER, which is a significant fee annually to have it all done for you. Do you think instead you could buy the top 50 holdings in each EFT category it holds, to try to mimic some of the portfolio. By buying the individual stock, you juts pay the $10 commission for each trade one time and hang on to the stock. No other fees until you sell. Obviously, this doesn't work well for re-balancing or having an outlier of the top 50 stocks making a large enough impact on the portfolio. But you do save 0.25% * 5,000,000 = 12,500 CAD each year as a benefit in forgoing re-balancing and not having all the stocks in the index.

Option 1) buy the index, keep it simple, pay the fee
Option 2) buy the top 50-100 stocks in the EFT, weigted and rebalance every 5 years, etc.
Option 3) find another low cost EFT that has lower MERs which makes more sense for a really large portfolio.

Would love your thoughts on this?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2212 posts
1914 upvotes
Montreal
LOLUMIRINBRO wrote: would VGRO be good enough to start DCA or should I do VEQT 70% and VGRO 30%
Yes, VGRO sounds good assuming you can handle the volatility that will come with it. VEQT with VGRO is a very odd mix. VEQT is 100% equities while VGRO is 80%. 70/30 mix will give you 94% equities.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2212 posts
1914 upvotes
Montreal
Lavaris1 wrote: My plan is to invest 20,000 in ETFs
Planning to invest 25% as onetime purchase
Then set weekly purchase for another 50%
Then want to keep another 25% for any other repeat of March 23rd or April 1st market

Please advice if it’s ok
This sounds good to me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2212 posts
1914 upvotes
Montreal
oldspice wrote: What do you recommend for very large portfolios, say $1,000,000 or $4,000,000 starting now from just cash with a 20 year time horizon?

VRGO is at 0.25% MER, which is a significant fee annually to have it all done for you. Do you think instead you could buy the top 50 holdings in each EFT category it holds, to try to mimic some of the portfolio. By buying the individual stock, you juts pay the $10 commission for each trade one time and hang on to the stock. No other fees until you sell. Obviously, this doesn't work well for re-balancing or having an outlier of the top 50 stocks making a large enough impact on the portfolio. But you do save 0.25% * 5,000,000 = 12,500 CAD each year as a benefit in forgoing re-balancing and not having all the stocks in the index.

Option 1) buy the index, keep it simple, pay the fee
Option 2) buy the top 50-100 stocks in the EFT, weigted and rebalance every 5 years, etc.
Option 3) find another low cost EFT that has lower MERs which makes more sense for a really large portfolio.

Would love your thoughts on this?
Option 1: Sounds good to me
Option 2: I think this is a terrible idea
Option 3: Sounds good too. You can go for example with VAB/VCN/VTI/VIU/VWO for a total MER of ~0.09%

You seem to have accumulated quite a lot of money at a young age. Do you need to take that much risk (i.e. 80% equities)? A more conservative asset allocation may be better suited for you?
Banned
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1007 upvotes
Saskatoon
Germack wrote: +1
What is your portfolio average buy price of VWO, and VGK ?
It looks like not much growth in those in the last ten years. Thanks
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
Nov 23, 2014
149 posts
34 upvotes
East York, ON
Thanks, I have been about 100% in bonds/cash for now as my job is highly tied to the markets.

Thanks for your help, I will checkout those tickers you mentioned. I really appreciate it. Those MERs seem reasonable considering the size and aggregate fees paid annually.

I have a long time horizon, that's why I was thinking equities about 80/20%.

Should I think about 80/20 or 60/40 split based on time horizon?
Germack wrote: Option 1: Sounds good to me
Option 3: Sounds good too. You can go for example with VAB/VCN/VTI/VIU/VWO for a total MER of ~0.09%

You seem to have accumulated quite a lot of money at a young age. Do you need to take that much risk (i.e. 80% equities)? A more conservative asset allocation may be better suited for you?
Nov 23, 2014
149 posts
34 upvotes
East York, ON
One more question for you,

If I have a sizeable sum

Do you suggest getting in now all at once, next week, or to dollar cost average in to the market, and how?

It feels like the market may fall and this could be a bull market trap, but who knows?

Germack wrote: Option 1: Sounds good to me

Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
1586 posts
378 upvotes
Mississauga
Germack wrote:
Could you care to explain why VTI/VIU/VWO instead of VUN/XEC/XEF ?

I am currently holding VAB/VCN/VUN/XEC/XEF mimicing the old CCP portfolio 80/20 and wondering am i loosing any thing compared to VTI/VIU/VWO..