• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2020 2:02 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 8, 2013
189 posts
228 upvotes
Delta
Germack wrote: Yes, VGRO sounds good assuming you can handle the volatility that will come with it. VEQT with VGRO is a very odd mix. VEQT is 100% equities while VGRO is 80%. 70/30 mix will give you 94% equities.
Oh sounds good. Sorry I only asked because you wrote this on your post "Probably VGRO or VAB (20%) + VEQT (80%)"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2154 posts
1760 upvotes
Montreal
oldspice wrote: Thanks, what are your views on currency hedged EFTs for the S&P? Are there any hidden fees or losses from the hedging fx that deteriorate the returns or does it match closely with expectations?
I do not like currency hedged ETFs. They are "expensive" and imprecise.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2154 posts
1760 upvotes
Montreal
airmail wrote: Any recommendations or advice for my RSP and LIRA account? My financial guy has just parked everything in high mer mutual funds and it’s time to make some changes.
Just go with one of the all-in-one ETFs (VCNS,VBAL,VGRO).
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2632 posts
929 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Germack wrote: Just go with one of the all-in-one ETFs (VCNS,VBAL,VGRO).
What are the advantages of Vanguard over Blackrock? Specifically between VGRO and XGRO? Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2154 posts
1760 upvotes
Montreal
djdestroyer wrote: What are the advantages of Vanguard over Blackrock? Specifically between VGRO and XGRO? Thanks.
Both are very good. I use Vanguard because I like them as a company better than Blackrock.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2632 posts
929 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Germack wrote: Both are very good. I use Vanguard because I like them as a company better than Blackrock.
Any specific reason? Have you noticed a difference in returns or fees?

Seems like they're almost identical but VGRO has a little more Canadian exposure.
Apr 23, 2011
102 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
djdestroyer wrote: Any specific reason? Have you noticed a difference in returns or fees?

Seems like they're almost identical but VGRO has a little more Canadian exposure.
Perhaps because "Founder and former chairman John C. Bogle is credited with the creation of the first index fund available to individual investors, and was a proponent and major enabler of low-cost investing by individuals. Vanguard is owned by the funds managed by the company, and is therefore owned by its customers."
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4191 posts
2344 upvotes
Personally I own ZBAL. I'm happy with their performance since I bought them earlier this year, plus they are Canadian owned.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2154 posts
1760 upvotes
Montreal
someguy23 wrote: Perhaps because "Founder and former chairman John C. Bogle is credited with the creation of the first index fund available to individual investors, and was a proponent and major enabler of low-cost investing by individuals. Vanguard is owned by the funds managed by the company, and is therefore owned by its customers."
Exactly. Thanks someguy23
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1364 posts
1816 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
djdestroyer wrote: What are the advantages of Vanguard over Blackrock? Specifically between VGRO and XGRO? Thanks.
Here is a blog post that discusses VGRO, then about halfway down the page it compares VGRO and XGRO.
https://www.howtosavemoney.ca/vgro-etf
I solemnly swear, to never assume I have an inkling at which direction the market will head, and to never make any investments based on a timing strategy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2154 posts
1760 upvotes
Montreal
ukrainiandude wrote: What is your portfolio average buy price of VWO, and VGK ?
It looks like not much growth in those in the last ten years. Thanks
VWO is down -8% (does not include dividends; dividend yield currently: 4%/year)
TD Euro Indx/VGK is up 15% (does not include dividends; dividend yield currently: 4%/year)
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
1507 posts
333 upvotes
Mississauga
As i never bought any individual stocks and not really financial savy other than following CCP portfolio (VAB/VCN/VUN/XEC/XEF) using DCA strategy all these years.

Now that lot of products are in sale and have some funds to venture into high yeild ETF which covers the candian banks (hoping they wont go under).

a quick google gave ZWB yielding around 7.2% but MER is 0.65% (which is more compared to my current funds) covers most of the major candian banks.
Is this the right choice for my need (long term) or any other recommendation.
Just dont wanted to buy individual stocks rather a ETF which is stable and gives decent yield for retirement purpose as my current portfolio does not yeild more than 3% max in total.
@Germack appreciate your input as well and wondering if you did have any of these funds?
Dec 2, 2017
372 posts
273 upvotes
mkannuri wrote: As i never bought any individual stocks and not really financial savy other than following CCP portfolio (VAB/VCN/VUN/XEC/XEF) using DCA strategy all these years.

Now that lot of products are in sale and have some funds to venture into high yeild ETF which covers the candian banks (hoping they wont go under).

a quick google gave ZWB yielding around 7.2% but MER is 0.65% (which is more compared to my current funds) covers most of the major candian banks.
Is this the right choice for my need (long term) or any other recommendation.
Just dont wanted to buy individual stocks rather a ETF which is stable and gives decent yield for retirement purpose as my current portfolio does not yeild more than 3% max in total.
@Germack appreciate your input as well and wondering if you did have any of these funds?
what's the point of holding a canadian financials ETF if VCN has 34% exposure to financial sector. More than enough exposure with smaller fees. If you want to up your CAD fin exposure, why not just simply buy RY or TD and hold forever without any fees. To me it's almost the same thing as holding VCN
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
1507 posts
333 upvotes
Mississauga
EuRaFree wrote: what's the point of holding a canadian financials ETF if VCN has 34% exposure to financial sector. More than enough exposure with smaller fees. If you want to up your CAD fin exposure, why not just simply buy RY or TD and hold forever without any fees. To me it's almost the same thing as holding VCN
for the sake of dividends as VCN does not yield more than 3% and growth is not that great compared to other index ETF such as VUN..

so buying RT or TD directly is bit hesitation of not having diversification and never know when they cut the dividends
where as this ZWB (covered calls) type ETF's maintains the consistency as per reviews but i might not be seeing the downside yet.
Oct 16, 2010
568 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto
Germack wrote: Just a monthly NW update. Down -173K YTD.

Stay safe everyone!

NWAPR2020.png

Performance.png
This should've recovered big now OP!