• Dec 27th, 2022 1:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1282 posts
1338 upvotes
Toronto

Couch wear and tear - Repair options

Been about 4 ish years we've had this couch and the leather has started to peel with the yellow foam showing.

Its a high traffic/high volume couch. My dad is retired so he spends a good amount of time on it, and I would spend enough time napping on the chaise, of which one cushion has quite a bit of tears.

The material is leather, and I wouldn't say real leather. Its the fake stuff that is sold in most regular family owned, or mom and pop furniture stores and wears out in no time with high usage.

So I investigated further, and noticed the leather shell of the cushions can be removed, its zipper stuff.

What are my options, can I go to a furniture store and order a new zip-on shell for the three cushions? Or should I patch it up using patch kits from amazon?

Any tips will be appreciated. Buying new right now is not really an option, since we only got these a few years ago. I did check some stores, and boy, furniture has gotten a bit pricey too.
2 replies
Nov 13, 2006
3 posts
1 upvote
Ajax
I had the same problem with my leather recliner chair. There was a tear in the arm and on the headrest. I purchased this from Amazon:
Leather Repair Tape 3×60 inch Strong Adhesion Backing Self Adhesive Multiple Colors Leather Repair Kit for Couch, Car Seats, Upholstery. Bonded Leather Repair(3×60 inch.Reddish Brown)
Brand: LEGARDLILIU
$14.99
I was worried that it would end up looking like the chair on the TV show "Frasier".. but it matched surprisingly well. and for $15 it was a cheap investment if it didn't. It comes in all sorts of colours.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1282 posts
1338 upvotes
Toronto
Bought the amazon kit. So far so good. Color matching was a bit off but it looks pretty good. Much better than the yellow foam showing lol.