Shopping Discussion

Could I get a credit for Telus internet downtime?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2019 10:28 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2018
30 posts
17 upvotes
Calgary

Could I get a credit for Telus internet downtime?

Hey folks. I've recently signed on with Telus internet at home. Yesterday there was some kind of technical problem that caused my internet to stop working. I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with tech support before they concluded that they couldn't help me. They offered to send a tech this morning. I moved around some work commitments so I could be home to let the tech in. The tech was here for about an hour. They finally fixed the problem, which turned out to be something on their end (nothing to do with my equipment).

I am happy they fixed the problem so quickly, but it was a big inconvenience. I am considering contacting them and trying to get a credit on my bill. Has anyone ever done this? Would I be wasting my time? Or is there a chance they'll give me something (and if so, how much)?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1866 posts
1698 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
No way they would reimburse you. You can try but they'd probably give you like 5$ credit if you are lucky.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4686 posts
3753 upvotes
ziggurat333 wrote: Hey folks. I've recently signed on with Telus internet at home. Yesterday there was some kind of technical problem that caused my internet to stop working. I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with tech support before they concluded that they couldn't help me. They offered to send a tech this morning. I moved around some work commitments so I could be home to let the tech in. The tech was here for about an hour. They finally fixed the problem, which turned out to be something on their end (nothing to do with my equipment).

I am happy they fixed the problem so quickly, but it was a big inconvenience. I am considering contacting them and trying to get a credit on my bill. Has anyone ever done this? Would I be wasting my time? Or is there a chance they'll give me something (and if so, how much)?
No, as internet for home use is on a best effort basis

If you have business internet, you may get some reimbursement
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4788 posts
2500 upvotes
They probably lost more money servicing you not only in terms of handling your call (40 mins), but also sending a tech out.

I can understand the frustration, but I feel like you should pick your battles and this is probably one you should just let go.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1485 posts
939 upvotes
Vancouver
Only time Shaw credited me was when I had no TV for over 2 weeks. It's not worth arguing for ~24 hours of no internet.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1552 posts
1963 upvotes
At most they'll offer you a credit for one day of service
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13000 upvotes

Also if you want an SLA, you have to get business internet.
Oct 31, 2018
29 posts
9 upvotes
The worst that can happen is that they'll say no. Might as well give it a shot.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4380 posts
2675 upvotes
Gotham
Absolutely they should give you a credit. You are paying for a service and they are not delivering that service. Why should you pay for something you are not receiving?
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2087 posts
1511 upvotes
They will give you credit. They told me before that if your internet isn't working, you shouldn't be paying for it. I mean... people in my house like to mess with the TV and occasionally will order stuff accidentally. The last one I caught, I caught it in two hours (they sent me the order to my email) and called them. They cancelled the channel for me. The channel was $5/mo. They gave me $5 credit anyway, even when I probably only own 17 cents ($5/30) and it was my own error anyway.

Telus has been awesome to me so far but I guess it does depend on the agent. I yet to find a bad one for the past long while...
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1010 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
What have you agreed to in the terms of service?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16644 posts
6897 upvotes
Your terms of service likely does not contain language that forces them to give you a credit.

However most customer service reps would likely issue a small credit because the cost of keeping you on the phone and escalating you far outweighs the $5 bill credit they might give you. It's sad but like other things in life sometimes the best choice is the cheapest option and that's to give you what you want to shut you up and prevent you from wasting their time.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11455 posts
3718 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers did it for me. But that's like a dollar or 2.
Imagine if your lost your internet service for a day, they will only reimburse you 1/30 of your monthly bill.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
May 20, 2010
795 posts
106 upvotes
They might. They no-showed for an appointment on me over the weekend, and gave me a $50 credit. Though I wouldn't expect more than 1/30th of your bill, really.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7005 posts
1357 upvotes
Scarborough
If enough people start calling in and demand compensation then these companies would actually fix their shit together. Too bad most people just dont bother....
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1010 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
apnayloags wrote: If enough people start calling in and demand compensation then these companies would actually fix their shit together. Too bad most people just dont bother....
These companies could fully compensate us for our down time and losses but .... make your guess what their monthly charge of service would be.

Currently, politicians are dealing with the airlines. Whatever rules are imposed will be passed on to the consumer. The cost must come from users rather than the owners.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5454 posts
4321 upvotes
Edmonton
In this day and age, I would argue that internet is pretty important to most people. Many folks would consider it essential. Being down for 24 hours is pretty harsh, but being down for 2 weeks like someone said is ridiculous. If calling in and complaining and getting $5 or $10 in compensation will make you feel better than do it. If this is an isolated incident I wouldn't bother.