• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2014 11:27 pm
Tags:
Apr 29, 2010
139 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Could I be hired in advance?

I have an interview in a week and a half for a job in Montreal. I'm currently in Toronto and I have one more course to finish up in the summer before I graduate. I won't be able to start said job position until August at the earliest.

I was wondering would this affect me being hired because I won't be able to start for another three months? I really want this job and I am more than willing to travel to Montreal in between my classes if they need to do a second interview or have me go over some things. It's just that I'm in a pickle because of my last course and I cannot start full-time until August.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
8452 posts
3627 upvotes
You should have been upfront with them at first when they called you. It depends on the circumstances so you have to sort it out with them. Nobody here can tell you whether it'll affect your employability with the said employer. Transparency is key in your situations.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Apr 29, 2010
139 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
It's an exploratory interview because they want to see where I fit within the company instead of specific job position that needs to be filled at the moment. So I'm not sure if that changes things, since jobs open up at random times. But I am just very eager to possibly work with them so I want it to work out. Though I guess I'll find out during the interview. :(
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
I wouldn't worry so much and relax. Many companies are flexible if you do get the job offer. Go to the job interview and see how it goes. Maybe the job interview will last for 2 months to go through all candidates (elimination) then another 1 month for a decision.

If you do get the job offer, they will ask "when can you start???". Then, tell them your situation and discuss options. If you get the job offer...and they say start at end of Aug then great. If they want you to start immediately...then decide if you want to withdraw from the last course...and take it at night school? online? If it's not possible then look for another job.
Apr 29, 2010
139 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Haha, I wish I could take the course online. It's the last mandatory course required for my graduation so I can only do it in class. But I hope that they are flexible! It's just with such an amazing company I really don't want to pass it up. So all in hope! ><
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
If they 'like you', they'll accommodate. Even if the position isn't open exactly when you're done school.

But make sure to be upfront about it, and when you are actually available.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1863 posts
344 upvotes
Woodbridge
Not having a specific position to fill ...eh you may be ok. a lot of companies ARE flexible and really 3 months isnt much time at all, so if they see you as a good fit. I think youll be ok

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)