Automotive

Could really use some help! Car selection under 30k (advice/guidance)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2019 1:11 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1484 posts
380 upvotes

Could really use some help! Car selection under 30k (advice/guidance)

Hi RFD community!

Hope you are all enjoying this brutal heat wave :D

I'm sorry to bug you all but I really need some guidance or second opinions. I've been swamped with work and haven't had a moment to do the necessary research into a new vehicle as my term is expiring. Realistically I need to do 2-3 test drives tomorrow and purchase date would be Wednesday.

I live in BC (Vancouver) if that helps.

I'm open to either buying a vehicle straight up in full (if there is a decent "retail cash rebate" you guys know of? or I'm open to financing)

I've been looking at the Mazda 6 GS or the Honda Civic Sport both 2019.

Does anyone have any other recommendations under the 30k threshold?

I really appreciate your thoughts, and I hope you all have a pleasant week.

Kind regards,
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1484 posts
380 upvotes
I'm seeing the Mazda 6 GS at:

Retail Price Dealer Cost
$29,145.00 $27,156.00

I'm seeing the Mazda 6 GS-L at:

Retail Price Dealer Cost
$33,845.00 $31,656.00

I'm pretty confident in my negotiating abillity, and the 1.5k over budget isn't the end of the world as long as I could keep it relatively close to dealer cost.

Any people got thoughts?
Apr 22, 2019
492 posts
606 upvotes
I would not recommend purchasing the Mazda 6 new, they depreciate really fast and have horrible resale. How long are you planning on keeping the vehicle? The civic is a good vehicle, just avoid the ones with the 1.5L engine because those have had some trouble in recent years. Have you considered an accord? Competes more with the Mazda 6. What are you looking for in a vehicle? From your options it’s obvious you want something that’s not mind numbing to drive, maybe look into the VW Golf GTI, it’s a great car to drive.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3579 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
I think in BC, the 1.5T oil dilution issue may be less common since the weather is warmer. That said, I drive a 2019 Civic Touring 1.5T and have zero issues thus far. I do agree Mazdas in general depreciate more and a 6 isn't really an apples to apples with a Civic.

I also agree a Golf would be a fun drive. It'll also depreciate rather quick, but isn't as expensive as the Mazda 6 or Civic.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Dec 11, 2011
524 posts
837 upvotes
CALEDON
Beamerguy28 wrote: I would not recommend purchasing the Mazda 6 new, they depreciate really fast and have horrible resale. How long are you planning on keeping the vehicle? The civic is a good vehicle, just avoid the ones with the 1.5L engine because those have had some trouble in recent years. Have you considered an accord? Competes more with the Mazda 6. What are you looking for in a vehicle? From your options it’s obvious you want something that’s not mind numbing to drive, maybe look into the VW Golf GTI, it’s a great car to drive.
I'd like to echo the Golf GTI recommendation here. You will not be disappointed. It's a great platform, with a shape that's practical, an interior that feels expensive and german, an engine / transmission that satisfies most car enthusiasts needs and lastly awesome handling when you feel like having a little fun.

The Accord and the sportier-feeling Mazda are good vehicles. They aren't however, great vehicles, in my opinion. I can only imagine that after the new car affect wears off, they would leave you wanting more.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1984 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto
VW Golf GTI is great. If you're looking for a little cheaper alternative, the 2020 Corolla is great as well (go with the higher trim if you want something comparable to the VW Golf GTI)
Banned
Aug 3, 2005
1235 posts
1177 upvotes
Electrah wrote: VW Golf GTI is great. If you're looking for a little cheaper alternative, the 2020 Corolla is great as well (go with the higher trim if you want something comparable to the VW Golf GTI)
If you get a higher trim Corolla (plus the dealer leaves $10,000 cash in the trunk by accident), it still wont even be close to a GTI.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gti would be over 30k with taxes. Imo subaru imprezza.
Please respond
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1092 posts
759 upvotes
GTA
Wouldn’t the OP be into a 2017/18 GTI to stay under 30k?
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1984 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto
ekcivichb wrote: If you get a higher trim Corolla (plus the dealer leaves $10,000 cash in the trunk by accident), it still wont even be close to a GTI.
Yes so the Corolla is cheaper as I said? ..
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1223 posts
1102 upvotes
GTI or better yet used Golf R or BMW 335i if you find one with extended warranty

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)