Automotive

Could you pass your driving test today 1st time?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2020 12:56 pm

Poll: Could you pass the drivers exam today after all your years of driving

• Total votes: 121. You have voted on this poll.
Pass with flying colors

61%
Pass with a few mistakes

24%
Barely pass

8%
Fail

7%
Fail badly

0%
Wont even take the test

0%

Poll ended at Jan 11th, 2020 1:47 am

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga

Could you pass your driving test today 1st time?

I have been driving for over 45 years (ouch) I think I am a good driver as everybody does.

Do you think you could pass the drivers exam today after all your years of bad habits?
51 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35239 posts
21220 upvotes
Center of Universe
Took my niece a few months ago, as she was borrowing the wife's vehicle and after watching the dashcam video afterwards...too easy.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4492 posts
1172 upvotes
It is easy if you learn to drive . Here on TO people cheat on their tests and practice the routes . Better yet they go out of town to small towns to do their test . Then people wonder why we have a several hundred pages long dash cam thread .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Nov 29, 2011
968 posts
342 upvotes
Milton
The test is easy for anyone that actually knows what they're doing and doesn't get up in their head with nerves/anxiety. Like knowing the routes might help nerves, but really won't matter, as either you know how to drive and know the rules, or you don't.

The real question is how many people normally drive like they would if retaking the test? I'm sure there are a lot of people that normally drive too fast/slow, don't signal, tailgate, drive slow in the passing lanes, or do any of an assortment of things but would, in theory, be capable of cleaning it up for an hour if having to redo the test.

What would matter is if they're aware they do those things. If someone isn't actually aware of all the things they do wrong and legitimately thinks they're perfect, then they're likely screwed. But if you're aware of what you do that's wrong, it would be easy enough to clean it up.

For example you normally drive 5-20 over the limit (depending on the road, excluding school zones), like most people seem to do, it'd be pretty easy to just stick to the speed limit for a test.

Or even just the stickler rules, like I don't know if it's for cars or just for motorcycles, but at least with motorcycles (as another example) you're supposed to at least tap your brake pedal enough to show the lights when exiting a highway on an off ramp before the first signage, to indicate to motorists you will be slowing down (since often bikes will just downshift and/or can decelerate that much faster). Most riders don't do this on a normal basis, but it's easy enough to do on a test.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4719 posts
5727 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Parallel parking? No problem.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
er34er34 wrote: Parallel parking? No problem.

1st year University, a friend with a G2 pulled this when i was an unsuspected passenger. So no problem indeed,
Mar 2, 2012
171 posts
200 upvotes
MILTON
pfbmgd wrote: It is easy if you learn to drive . Here on TO people cheat on their tests and practice the routes . Better yet they go out of town to small towns to do their test . Then people wonder why we have a several hundred pages long dash cam thread .
Or they just pay cash and they get their license. I know someone who after failing 6 times paid $1000 to the instructor to get a pass. 4 people in the car during the test, $1000 each.
This was 19 years ago. Rates must be lower now because of the competition.
Nov 27, 2014
19 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not all are bad drivers and so they r taking tests at smaller places ..I gave G test in Peterborough last Thursday only because I had to give in last week must before 24 th dec as my license was expiring and no slot was available in GTA when I tried to book appointment. I think it’s all habits you develop over the driving period .. and those r cheating are not only putting their lives in danger but others too .. thank god most places have less passing rates . I think test instructors also strict now days
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1329 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
Took my G this time last year so I would hope flying colours lol....
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35239 posts
21220 upvotes
Center of Universe
khotvikasp wrote: Not all are bad drivers and so they r taking tests at smaller places ..I gave G test in Peterborough last Thursday only because I had to give in last week must before 24 th dec as my license was expiring and no slot was available in GTA when I tried to book appointment. I think it’s all habits you develop over the driving period .. and those r cheating are not only putting their lives in danger but others too .. thank god most places have less passing rates . I think test instructors also strict now days
How do you cheat a physical driving test?
I drive the same route everyday and it's not the route that's makes me better... it's the actual driving.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1488 posts
2086 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
er34er34 wrote: Parallel parking? No problem.
He parked it backwards. That's a definite fail on a driving test.
I solemnly swear, to never assume I have an inkling at which direction the market will head, and to never make any investments based on a timing strategy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote: How do you cheat a physical driving test?
I drive the same route everyday and it's not the route that's makes me better... it's the actual driving.
I would guess the logic is if they drive the road first it wont be as nerve racking when taking test.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4492 posts
1172 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: I would guess the logic is if they drive the road first it wont be as nerve racking when taking test.
Especially when people ask for routes and share them on this site .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3748 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
I still do my mirror checks, head turns, blind spot check, car stop distance, move out of passing lane after turn. Might get dinged for not having 2 hands on wheel at all time, but should pass G2 or G no problem. Passed my M a couple years ago without issues either.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: Do you think you could pass the drivers exam today after all your years of bad habits?
In this theoretical scenario, do I have to drive like I normally do or can I fake it?
If I can fake it, no problem. (I hope anyways)
But if you "magically" stick an examiner in the passenger seat at random? Not a chance.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22071 posts
2748 upvotes
Do we get to use our car or a car given to us by the driving instructor?
Aug 16, 2011
960 posts
943 upvotes
NORTH YORK
We need more officers on the roads enforcing and ticketing bad drivers. But overall Toronto isn't that bad. I have seen much much much worse in other cities that I've travelled too.
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1257 upvotes
Piece of cake, the only habit I'd have to adjust is putting 2 hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 12 all the times. Other than that everything else is sound. No driving incidents in 25 years of driving so I should be good.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35239 posts
21220 upvotes
Center of Universe
CanKon wrote: We need more officers on the roads enforcing and ticketing bad drivers. But overall Toronto isn't that bad. I have seen much much much worse in other cities that I've travelled too.
Toronto isn't that bad?