Automotive

Could you pass your driving test today 1st time?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2020 12:56 pm

Poll: Could you pass the drivers exam today after all your years of driving

• Total votes: 121. You have voted on this poll.
Pass with flying colors

61%
Pass with a few mistakes

24%
Barely pass

8%
Fail

7%
Fail badly

0%
Wont even take the test

0%

Poll ended at Jan 11th, 2020 1:47 am

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Doebird wrote: If I need to parallel park with out a rear view camera I’ll fail lol.
The backup camera is key now
Side view mirror is more effective.
You can see the curb and vehicle in the rear.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
UrbanPoet wrote: NYC is civilized in its own chaotic way.
Yes people are aggressive. But there is an order to it. Because you honestly can’t get anywhere.
Do you get cut off? Sure... but its done in a way with a flow of traffic and mutual agreement.

Hard to explain... example. People muscle their way in for lane changes. But its done out of necessity... because they have to exit that moment. & traffic is so heavy there honestly is no window of opportunity to sneak in without impeding others. So you just slow down and let them in.
I saw this a lot.
And i notice people not clogging intersections during red lights in heavy traffic. Despite the sheer volume and craziness of it!
Same as Mexico. You know if you leave an inch someone is going to take that space.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
I'm sure I'd get dinged for something minor here or there, like not using the parking brake or not signaling when backing out of a driveway/parking spot. Maybe a few other bad habits like timing lights and cutting off pedestrians...

jikiji626 wrote: Or they just pay cash and they get their license. I know someone who after failing 6 times paid $1000 to the instructor to get a pass. 4 people in the car during the test, $1000 each.
This was 19 years ago. Rates must be lower now because of the competition.
That's too much cash, you could fail and re-test so many times on that amount!

What I did was used my driving instructor's car for my test, cost $100 but I think he was buddies with the evaluator, I heavily suspect palms were being greased somewhere. I got lots of positive feedback suggesting I'll easily pass using that car, I believed it because my mom's car was an 80's Oldsmobile that handled like a boat whereas the instructor car was a little nimble cobalt. We had steering wheel turn rates and exact points measured and it worked 100% perfect every time for that car, parallel parking and reverse parking was something like go 1.5 car lengths ahead, stop when you see your mirror at this point on a parked car, reverse and turn the wheel 2.5 times quick etc.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
3260 posts
4520 upvotes
Toronto
jikiji626 wrote: Or they just pay cash and they get their license. I know someone who after failing 6 times paid $1000 to the instructor to get a pass. 4 people in the car during the test, $1000 each.
This was 19 years ago. Rates must be lower now because of the competition.
Scary thing is, nowadays some young people are so desperate to drive for Uber or Lyft, they will keep taking that test, until they pass. And when they start driving around OTHER people in their cars.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: my mom's car was an 80's Oldsmobile that handled like a boat whereas the instructor car was a little nimble cobalt.
Honestly... despite driving it for 10 years, I'm not sure I could pass a driving test with my full sized SUV.
I can usually parallel park okay if the spot is big enough, but I'm not sure I could choose the spot I want during a test.

I'm about to take my driving test and I'm seriously tempted to rent a subcompact.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10247 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote: It is easy if you learn to drive . Here on TO people cheat on their tests and practice the routes . Better yet they go out of town to small towns to do their test . Then people wonder why we have a several hundred pages long dash cam thread .
How is practicing cheating??
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
StatsGuy wrote: How is practicing cheating??
Knowing the route makes you more comfortable and confident, which is considered cheating?
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: How is practicing cheating??
The routes are planned to challenge the drivers knowledge and skill . By practicing the route you are cheating .

If you are a competent driver you don't need to practice the route . In the real world you don't get to practice a routes you are taking . If you are a competent driver you should be able to drive anywhere without practice .

If you do cheat you usually end up in the car cam thread . Usually 50% of the time you are the one with the footage complaining .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Dec 17, 2018
13 posts
6 upvotes
Pretty sure I would do well,I still use many of the things I learned in young drivers 25 yrs ago.My only issue would be parallel parking which I never have to do since moving out of the city.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Whelp. Gonna take my Class 4 so I'm putting my money where my mouth is.
It's 100% weird abiding by the rules with someone judging you.

I stopped at a crosswalk. THREE cars passed me. RIP in peace those pedestrians.

Oddly enough the only thing I got dinged for is driving too slow and not having "situational awareness" when backing.
I do admit there were a few times I ended up doing 40 in a 50 because I was trying my damndest to not exceed 50 at any point.
But due to regenerative braking I slowed down a bit too much...

As for the backing up, I don't get how I got nailed for that. I 360 checked and did my mirrors the whole time. Never even checked the camera.
Perfect back in parking job first time which doesn't surprise me since I always back into a spot.
The hilarious part is that while I was waiting at ICBC I witnessed FIVE SEPARATE people fail at backing up.

Still though.... I passed. Not quite with flying colors, but I passed.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Too easy.

I mean just look at the G test.

I used to blame the drivers but that's like blaming the children when the parents should take the responsibility.

I always said it's the government's best interest to hand out DRIVER'S LICENSES LIKE CANDY. After all it's business.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)