None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1202 posts
263 upvotes
OTTAWA

Countertop Contractor recommendations in Ottawa

It is time to replace my laminate kitchen countertop which is damaged by water. I may go with laminate or quartz replacement. Would someone recommend to me a countertop contractor in Ottawa? Should I go with Home Depot/Lowes/Rona? Thanks in advance.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3527 posts
1268 upvotes
Ottawa
I got quartz from Lowes, and had one of their contractors do the install. I think this is a good option because you'd have Lowes for support with any problem vs. a single installer.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
If you go to either of the big box stores, they will be sub contracting to a local service.
The benefit of going to a big box store is that you will always have someone to call if you have issue and more importantly, there will always be someone to answer the phone. The other thing is that surprisingly, they are very competitive.
In my situation, I contacted a number of counter top shops (in the Ottawa area) and got quotes and then went to Home Depot for a quote as well. They came and did the measurements and ended up providing me with almost lowest price. I contracted them and when the sub contractors came to do the job, it was one of the companies that I had previous quotes from and they were one of the highest quotes.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26944 posts
11377 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Pete_Coach wrote: I contracted them and when the sub contractors came to do the job, it was one of the companies that I had previous quotes from and they were one of the highest quotes.
Thats the funny part, i like to find out who they contract from and call them directly, though they usually won't tell you.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4913 posts
2182 upvotes
WFH
Quentin5 wrote: Thats the funny part, i like to find out who they contract from and call them directly, though they usually won't tell you.
...but you won't necessarily get a better price.

It may seem counter intuitive but once you put a value on dealing with the public, always having a phone manned, customer service, advertising, maintaining a storefront, showroom, sales people, order management, billing etc., the economics may start to make sense.

If a small business can leverage HD, Rona, Lowes, Costco etc to take care of these aspects at a lower cost than they could then it's a win/win for everyone.

Such a business will often charge you a premium to access their services directly instead of going through a third party.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26944 posts
11377 upvotes
Socially Distanced
dirtmover wrote: ...but you won't necessarily get a better price.

It may seem counter intuitive but once you put a value on dealing with the public, always having a phone manned, customer service, advertising, maintaining a storefront, showroom, sales people, order management, billing etc., the economics may start to make sense.

If a small business can leverage HD, Rona, Lowes, Costco etc to take care of these aspects at a lower cost than they could then it's a win/win for everyone.

Such a business will often charge you a premium to access their services directly instead of going through a third party.
I got a lower price dealing directly with the company, so its a big YMMV
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Aug 14, 2009
321 posts
61 upvotes
I went through Home depot during one of their promotions (offering three colours/types). Granit Design was the installer. From my recollection I understand that the promo prices are pretty good as its the big box stores who actually bulk purchases the granite for the promo (which is great for the fabricator as they don't need to float unsold inventory). I believe the advertised pricing was $44 per sqft including square edge profiles and one sink cut-out.

I was really pleased with the work done, and the care taken by the contractors in my home on the day of the install.

The granite is lazer cut to the profile of the wall (they come out and measure it including a profile of the wall) rather than simply square which makes for a very nice fit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1202 posts
263 upvotes
OTTAWA
Thank you and thanked RFD friends for your constructive suggestions.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Rockymountain wrote: Thank you and thanked RFD friends for your constructive suggestions.
Good luck in your endeavor. Getting counter tops has become as ominous and complicated as buying a car.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5894 posts
297 upvotes
GTA
Dnn't mean to hijack this thead and I know the OP said Ottawa, but for anyone in the GTA looking for a quartz/granite installer, stay away from Tristar Marble & Granite in Brampton. The company is definitely not the same since the father retired and his son took over. Let's just say if there is a problem with their install, don't expect them to come back and fix it!!!!

BTW Pete thanks for the info. I was always under the impression that HD or Lowes would be more expensive than going straight to the company that they sub the work to.

sk
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
sunnybono wrote: Dnn't mean to hijack this thead and I know the OP said Ottawa, but for anyone in the GTA looking for a quartz/granite installer, stay away from Tristar Marble & Granite in Brampton. The company is definitely not the same since the father retired and his son took over. Let's just say if there is a problem with their install, don't expect them to come back and fix it!!!!

BTW Pete thanks for the info. I was always under the impression that HD or Lowes would be more expensive than going straight to the company that they sub the work to.

sk
They may be more expensive but in my case they were not.
As I said, buying counter tops has becalm a very tricky endevour. You can very easily be sucked in by marketing and sales tactics and will not be comparing apples versus apples.
What may sound like a good deal could be because the material is very thin and only the edges are thick or, it is several pieces epoxied together or it is "seconds". Installation and guarantee are important but if a company has only been in business for a year or so, what good is a guarantee? Stone and tile shops are popping up everywhere.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)