• Dec 2nd, 2011 11:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 27, 2010
399 posts
40 upvotes

countertop dishwashers?

just wanted to see if anyone here has experience with countertop dishwashers? we're getting the DDW611WLED in a few weeks' time so i'll post a review of that when we have it in hand and installed.

while it sounds crazy, i think its actually practical for small apartments/condos/basement rentals. i've found some decent reviews for the danby countertop dishwashers (the only ones that seem to be available in canada - premia/minea won't ship to canada).

the only downside of all the reviews i've found for all of them is that people buy them expecting to replace them every 3 or 4 years, so they're priced accordingly. that seems a bit of a shame, but i guess planned obsolescence keeps the market churning.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
793 upvotes
North York
Those counter top units are so small ... why not wash the dishes by hand? (Thats just me.)

I'd consider getting those full sized moveable ones, if OP has the room to put it in the corner. Push to sink, connect the hose, plug in power and wash.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2010
399 posts
40 upvotes
we thought about those full size movable ones, but there's no space for that.

and why the countertop instead of washing by hand? it'd be nice to have those extra hours in the month back if we don't have to deal with dishes.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
793 upvotes
North York
I am thinking those counter top dishwashers don't hold that many dishes anyways. It can't take more than 1/2 to do the dishes, we are doing pots and pans anyways as they don't fit or in those counter tops units.

Where would store/hide the counter top washers anyways? If one doesn't have space to put a roll-away dishwasher ... the kitchen can't be that big to start with. Losing any counter space would be counter-productive.

Just my thoughts. :)
[OP]
Dec 27, 2010
399 posts
40 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Where would store/hide the counter top washers anyways? If one doesn't have space to put a roll-away dishwasher ... the kitchen can't be that big to start with. Losing any counter space would be counter-productive.

Just my thoughts. :)

Good question.

It's the layout of the place. It's an older post war structure. The kitchen is long and narrow, so we actually have lots of countertop space, just no way to slot in a dishwasher below. So there's actually plenty of countertop space to still prep food, etc even with a microwave, a microwave-sized dishwasher, kettle, toaster, etc.

Any user reviews of the Danby products, or any alternatives available in GTA would be appreciated.
Jan 15, 2011
467 posts
247 upvotes
Mississauga
I had a Danby one, back when I was in a small rental condo. What a joke!

Barely could hold anything, leaked all the time, and never cleaned the dishes well. I would NOT recommend it. Seriously, get a nice foldable dish rack, and just do them by hand. The space it took up on the counter was double what the dish rack took!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
30 upvotes
Sarnia
Can't speak for the Danby countertop model.. but there are apartment sized portable dishwashers available, 18 inches wide (roughly half as wide a reg dishwasher and they can be built in later

Frigidaire makes one,, Sears sells one,, here's the link

http://www.sears.ca/product/kenmore-md- ... 87_3_14412
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Proverbs 17;28
[OP]
Dec 27, 2010
399 posts
40 upvotes
petitallegra wrote: I had a Danby one, back when I was in a small rental condo. What a joke!

Barely could hold anything, leaked all the time, and never cleaned the dishes well. I would NOT recommend it. Seriously, get a nice foldable dish rack, and just do them by hand. The space it took up on the counter was double what the dish rack took!

thanks for the heads up - we already do everything by hand and counterspace really isn't the issue. did yours have a plastic window in the front? we've picked up a newer version without it - apparently the plastic window was notorious for cracking/leaking depending upon the year of manufacture - so once it arrives, i'll post our review on it. it only cost a couple hundred bucks, so we're not too worried about it breaking down and us being out of sorts about it.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2010
399 posts
40 upvotes
pkguy wrote: Can't speak for the Danby countertop model.. but there are apartment sized portable dishwashers available, 18 inches wide (roughly half as wide a reg dishwasher and they can be built in later

Frigidaire makes one,, Sears sells one,, here's the link

http://www.sears.ca/product/kenmore-md- ... 87_3_14412

thanks for the link! didn't know about these narrow ones on casters! if this countertop one really doesn't work out, i think we'll try to pick up the ge one http://www.sears.ca/product/ge-portable ... GSC1807PWW
Jan 15, 2011
467 posts
247 upvotes
Mississauga
boblobob wrote: thanks for the heads up - we already do everything by hand and counterspace really isn't the issue. did yours have a plastic window in the front? we've picked up a newer version without it - apparently the plastic window was notorious for cracking/leaking depending upon the year of manufacture - so once it arrives, i'll post our review on it. it only cost a couple hundred bucks, so we're not too worried about it breaking down and us being out of sorts about it.
I had this one:http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8 ... washer.jsp
Nov 9, 2008
669 posts
242 upvotes
Ottawa
boblobob wrote: just wanted to see if anyone here has experience with countertop dishwashers? we're getting the DDW611WLED in a few weeks' time so i'll post a review of that when we have it in hand and installed.

while it sounds crazy, i think its actually practical for small apartments/condos/basement rentals. i've found some decent reviews for the danby countertop dishwashers (the only ones that seem to be available in canada - premia/minea won't ship to canada).

the only downside of all the reviews i've found for all of them is that people buy them expecting to replace them every 3 or 4 years, so they're priced accordingly. that seems a bit of a shame, but i guess planned obsolescence keeps the market churning.

i dont know how long they would last but i know they dont clean very well unless you are very organized.. all plates and glasses sorted properly and quickly rinse all plates and forks before putting them in....

. but i think most dishwashers are like that if you dont get the overpriced bosch ones...
Jan 24, 2009
14 posts
Saskatoon
We had two of the Danbys in our previous starter home. The first one died just before the end of the first year, so Walmart replaced it for free. They had the front window, but the problem wasn't that. It was something to do with the front dial quit moving. We'd used it a lot before that, though, and then we used its replacement a lot.

Ultimately, we replaced it with an 18" portable Danby, big brother of the countertop ones. We liked it better than the little ones because we could do pots in it and just more dishes. The top of it was useful too, as we hardly had any counter space.

Attaching and unattaching the hose to the drain was annoying, and it was also annoying not to be able to use the sink while it was in you. (You can get water, but it's hot water and spraying awkwardly.) However, this wasn't nearly as annoying as washing dishes by hand, a task both of us absolutely loathe. Generally, they got the dishes pretty clean -- I'd say as clean as our current built-in does.

Another annoying thing was cleaning the trap/filter. Icky!!! Most North American dishwashers have garburator things that can chop up bits of left on food etc. With the Danbys, all that stuff would collect in a filter at the bottom. Keeping that clean was important for the performance of the dishwasher; when it was dirty, so were the dishes.

We tested them a few times by leaving the plug in the sink and were impressed by how little water they used. Certainly not more than we would have washing the dishes by hand.

At one point we were having a problem with leakage and traced that to the separate spraying nozzle thing we had on the sink. The instructions say you can't have one. The dishwasher worked with it there and we liked it, so we left it there for a while, but ultimately it had to go.

One final potential problem is that modern faucets tend not to have the right nozzle for attaching the dishwasher. At one point, we replaced the countertop and installed a more modern faucet. And then had to put the old one back in because the dishwasher wouldn't plug in to it. You need the older, smaller kind of opening. If an aerator will attach to it, it will work.