• Jan 28th, 2006 4:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 16, 2005
986 posts

Course Selection Help *SEMI-GVR*

Had to copy and paste from another forum, lol.

So yup, GR.9 is fast approaching and I get this stupid course selection sheet that is confusing as heck even though I got my teacher to read it over to me like 3 times, haha, she probably thinks I'm a retard now :lol

So I really don't get English 9 / 9 Adapted. She says Adapted is for people that want to go in trades, then you take Communications once you hit GR. 10, while normal English is for people that want to write essays and the heck.

Now, I want to be anything computer / IT related, but am not too sure because the choice is broad. And I have been taking becoming a chef into consideration for a really long time, but i'm not sure how expensive it is to pay for a semister of Culinary School and my mom told me it was like in the mid-thousands range and WOW...

If I were to be any of those, which English should I take? Right now, I ticked off ENG 9 Honors, and I get B's there, so I should have no problems passing the exam.

And, there are a lot of different IT jobs, like consulting, researching, what are they exactly?

Also, there is Intro Computers, Technology, Electronics and Food Studies 9. Now obviously, food studies is like cooking, but i'm not too sure the difference between Tech and Elec. Also, if I don't take Intro Computers and the rest of the courses, would they affect my chances of getting a computer related job? I already know a lot about computers, and I could probably already pass the GR.12 exam on it, so I'm not sure if selecting it would be a total waste of time.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just decided that I want to like programming, networking, video game designer, etc, in the computer industry or being a chef.

Another question, hope you guys don't mind, but which school in the Lower Mainland is the best? Would it be BCIT because it's British Columbia Institute of Tech? I checked SFU and UBC, but I don't think they have any courses for the computer related ones.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
infamous.yee wrote:Had to copy and paste from another forum, lol.

So yup, GR.9 is fast approaching and I get this stupid course selection sheet that is confusing as heck even though I got my teacher to read it over to me like 3 times, haha, she probably thinks I'm a retard now :lol

So I really don't get English 9 / 9 Adapted. She says Adapted is for people that want to go in trades, then you take Communications once you hit GR. 10, while normal English is for people that want to write essays and the heck.

Now, I want to be anything computer / IT related, but am not too sure because the choice is broad. And I have been taking becoming a chef into consideration for a really long time, but i'm not sure how expensive it is to pay for a semister of Culinary School and my mom told me it was like in the mid-thousands range and WOW...

If I were to be any of those, which English should I take? Right now, I ticked off ENG 9 Honors, and I get B's there, so I should have no problems passing the exam.

And, there are a lot of different IT jobs, like consulting, researching, what are they exactly?

Also, there is Intro Computers, Technology, Electronics and Food Studies 9. Now obviously, food studies is like cooking, but i'm not too sure the difference between Tech and Elec. Also, if I don't take Intro Computers and the rest of the courses, would they affect my chances of getting a computer related job? I already know a lot about computers, and I could probably already pass the GR.12 exam on it, so I'm not sure if selecting it would be a total waste of time.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just decided that I want to like programming, networking, video game designer, etc, in the computer industry or being a chef.

Another question, hope you guys don't mind, but which school in the Lower Mainland is the best? Would it be BCIT because it's British Columbia Institute of Tech? I checked SFU and UBC, but I don't think they have any courses for the computer related ones.
Now I don't know how far off i'll be, BC vs Ontario, but from what I understand Adapted vs. Academic is like College vs. University courses. I would say grade 9 to aim for academic courses.

Tech has some computers on it, but includes woodshop, and other such work, electronics will probably be more computer based, while intro to computers will probably be a lot more like typing, computer hardware knowledge, function gates, 1 and 0s, binaries adding and subtracting, changing from base 10 to binary etc.(sorry it's been a while).

Your high school courses will probably not decide what job you do, and whatever you think you may know is way to little for all the stuff you have to cram in.

Keep this in mind if you are looking to go to University try to keep your options open(with academic courses) so get a variety of courses, as well if you are only grade 9, things will change a lot in 4 years(as someone in 1st year at UVT), so try to keep your options open.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 16, 2005
986 posts
Thx for the input.

I just want to get a job that pays well that I enjoy.

Going to university, or not, ( even though my parents think that university is the most important thing ever ) I just want to get in one of the top schools for the job career that I want.

My options are pretty open, it's just that I want to do something computer related or cooking related because that is what has been sparking my interest a long time ago. And I have been really into computers since my brother got one, so about 10 years ago, :P
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
infamous.yee wrote:Thx for the input.

I just want to get a job that pays well that I enjoy.

Going to university, or not, ( even though my parents think that university is the most important thing ever ) I just want to get in one of the top schools for the job career that I want.

My options are pretty open, it's just that I want to do something computer related or cooking related because that is what has been sparking my interest a long time ago. And I have been really into computers since my brother got one, so about 10 years ago, :P
You will find most 1st year computer courses a bit boring, while the gates and binary system might take a bit to twist your head around, once you get it, it's pretty good, or if you feel up to it, you could try a higher year course in some form of basic programing language, which means you gotta have a good grip with your math equations, even the simple ones.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1217 posts
284 upvotes
well you're in grade 9, so there's no need to set yourself on such a narrow path. have you thought about science? business? ive taken sciences for all my years, and grade 12 (this year) was the year i decided i wanted to get into business. things change.. always keep your options open.

gr 9 and 10 isnt as important as gr 11 and gr 12 in terms of the deciding factor of where you'll go post-secondary. I would advice all academic courses on your core subjects (i.e math, english etc). One exception would be something like french (which is mandatory in ontario gr 9), which i went with applied instead of academic.

i assume you're on semesters, so with the left over spot or two take something you enjoy... its not essential for me to have gr 9 food to excel in gr 12 food and its the same with the computer sci. but its best to check with your guidance counsellor, since some courses are pre-requisites to next-year courses.

dont be shocked... the average price of tuition has been around 5 grand a year. not including books and residence.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5811 posts
3707 upvotes
Victoria
For foods classes I would recommend taking Foods 9/10 then jumping to Foods 12. Read your courses booklet for the description of each class you want to take. Also, are you on the semester system?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
infamous.yee wrote:I don't get what the semester system is?
Semester:
Sept to End of Jan: 4 courses- Exams at end of Jan
Feb-Jun:4 other courses-Exams at end of May, start of Jun

Which means you take 4 courses at a time for half the year.

This is assuming BC requires 30 credits courses for Graduation

Non-semester:
You take 8 courses all year long(the school I went to for last 3 years was like this, and I would have 6 classes everyday).
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3908 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
at the stage of life that you are in, don't worry about jobs, money etc. What you should be concerned about is what gives you the most flexiblity. You can take academic stuff and if it doesn't work out, switch to the non-academic stuff. Unfortunately, if you take non-academic stuff, it's very difficult to switch to academic.

So if it's gr. 9, I'd start off with the courses that give you the most ability to switch around (typically academic).
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
infamous.yee wrote:Ah, for the post-secondary schools in my area or my highschool?
this is all for high school
Banned
Dec 29, 2005
2181 posts
2 upvotes
Here in ON and I hope BC you must have ENG4U to get into University, even if you want to go into Computer Science; Computer Science isn't requred (however programming experience is an asset) but ENG4U is a must. ENG4U is grade 12 U-lever English.

This is my advice I have for all Grade 9's.
Listen bud, take all Academic courses, if you have 70+ in all your courses (Grade 8) take everything Academic. Just keep working hard, and you'll do well. Remember, grade 9 and 10 marks don't have much value, grade 11 somewhat, grade 12 is crucial. TO KEEP YOUR OPTIONS OPEN, take AS MANY GRADE 9 AND 10 classes in summer school. Ie, History is required in 10, get it in summer school, trust me man. Then you can take a class of your choice. Then the next year, get like World Issues in summer School; BOOM got a class of your choice. THen eventually, in Grade 12 you'll have more than enough credits and you can afford to take 6 classes.

However, don't choose a career/field right now, grade 9 is a generic year, most courses are compulsory (required for Diploma), only 1 elective I beleive. Then grade 10 onward it narrows down.

Hope that helped.