• Oct 4th, 2021 9:48 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 9, 2008
384 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto

Covered basement drain

I just closed on my house and the basement drain supposedly thats in the basement looks patched up with cement.

I did not even notice or paid attention to this before.

My initial thoughts were the previous owner might have experience a backflow or smell. But I asked my neighbor and he said he never had those issues and confirmed also not a builder change.

I already have a contractor lined up to have it reopened. However I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this and what might be the reason for cover up??

Also I tried to asked the previous owner but of course they fell off the planet.

Edited

Added a pic
Images
  • D4CC3996-E3CE-478E-9813-43094FEF16BE.jpeg
Last edited by SVcivic on Oct 3rd, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2918 posts
1087 upvotes
Windsor
Smash it open; worst case, you seal it back up.

I would assume it was backing up, but that's probably because of a clog that you should be able to fix.

I had 2 drains in my basement, one covered with tiles. I smashed out the tile, turns out they kindof messed up the piping back in 1970 when my house was built. I have to ensure a clog doesn't happen in a very specific spot in my pipes, otherwise this drain becomes the easy way out. Having someone come in to blast out crap from when the house was built has solved the problem.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4433 posts
3764 upvotes
GTA
Are you sure it's drain, not clean out? Does it have small square in the middle?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4092 posts
1109 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
SVcivic wrote: I just closed on my house and the basement drain supposedly thats in the basement looks patched up with cement.

I did not even notice or paid attention to this before.

My initial thoughts were the previous owner might have experience a backflow or smell. But I asked my neighbor and he said he never had those issues and confirmed also not a builder change.

I already have a contractor lined up to have it reopened. However I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this and what might be the reason for cover up??

Also I tried to asked the previous owner but of course they fell off the planet.
Post a photo, someone here may be able to provide some insight. Click the advanced button when editing or composing a message to get the option to post an image.
Secondly, send an email to your real estate agent, who can send it to the listing agent who could relay it to the former home owner.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2008
384 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
fergy wrote: Post a photo, someone here may be able to provide some insight. Click the advanced button when editing or composing a message to get the option to post an image.
Secondly, send an email to your real estate agent, who can send it to the listing agent who could relay it to the former home owner.
Added a pic to my original post. My agent already reached out to the listing agent but still waiting to hear back which I doubt it since they havent been very responsive
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4092 posts
1109 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
That clear tubing on the HRV is likely going to the floor drain.

Can you take a photo on all sides of the furnace/boiler. It looks almost like tubing or wiring going into the cement floor. Too dark to see.
Aug 22, 2012
209 posts
130 upvotes
Mark Town
where are those drain tubes leading? is the basement finished?

I guess that the owner intended to have the floor over the drain. Later on he changed the mind but did not undo it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
5448 posts
1672 upvotes
0 downvotes
the furnace /HRV drain tube goes under ground and connects into the floor drain under the cement, but yes there is suppose to be a a separate floor drain incase you have a flood, or your basement will have a mold problem
Hi
Dec 26, 2012
366 posts
301 upvotes
Hamilton
its possible they faced some smells or a backup.

My laundry room drain was cemented over and i had no idea why and thought it was strange. I was getting a laundry tub installed and we busted it open and found the clay pipe just completely broken all around there.