• Jun 28th, 2018 12:24 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1692 posts
4105 upvotes

Covering Lawn With Clear Tarp?

Does anyone know why someone would cover their lawn with clear tarp? They started off with a smaller tarp, as you can see where the lawn is brown then they extended it. Are they trying to grow some fungus under there or something else? I asked the owner, politely, and was waved off with "no English".
Images
  • lawn.jpg
11 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
Trap moisture to grow shrooms? Since weed will be legal soon, the market for MMs will skyrocket and I'm guessing this is Markham or Richmond Hill. Site locations for many grow ops.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1692 posts
4105 upvotes
In Scarb, the owners are seniors. I doubt grow op.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9139 posts
2045 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Maybe trying to kill the grass and any weed seeds off so they can put in a garden? Not sure about doing it on the boulevard though. I think in most areas that is not allowed.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2807 upvotes
Also this is a standard technique for killing off weeds that can't go dormant to survive the high trapped heat like the grass. It also cooks their seeds in the soil.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1692 posts
4105 upvotes
I don't think they're trying to "fix" the grass or kill weeds. They started with a smaller tarp and when that grass turned brown they extended it, where the grass is green under the tarp, in the pic. The grass looked fine before they put the tarp on, no excess weeds. I think the "killing the grass and weeds seeds to put in a garden" makes the most sense. The area looks like it would be a future garden. I guess I'll find out in the next few weeks.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
2045 posts
1916 upvotes
Toronto
We are doing similar process...trying to kill all the weeds to start working on new landscaping.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1289 posts
511 upvotes
that should be reported to city, not allowed
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
Grow op for sure. Seniors need herbs. If you believe that it's a garden, it isn't allowed on city property iirc.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6868 posts
2666 upvotes
BC
^ Yes, if they are obligated to mow and otherwise maintain the city's boulevard, maybe they just want to burn it off so no mowing required.

It will regrow eventually next spring. I doubt they are planning anything else to grow there.

OTOH, if the city routinely mows that boulevard, they might want to have a word with those seniors.