COVID-19 and domestic construction

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 7:54 am
[OP]
Jan 8, 2013
153 posts
24 upvotes

COVID-19 and domestic construction

With the current limitations due to COVID-19 are small contractors still allowed to do patio concrete work if they have a small crew of 5 people?

I was planning to get a contractor in to do a patio in the backyard and he has a small team of 4-5 guys. Wondering if it’s allowed in Ontario right now.
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5069 posts
2272 upvotes
No new jobs may commence
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8821 posts
4494 upvotes
Paris
Not legal. 2 contractors above plus me makes 3.

5 guys that live in different houses should be staying home, not working on your patio. Huge fines for non-compliance.

I don’t see it ending before May 15 either. Too many idiots, especially this weekend. My wifes family in the US had a gathering of the grands, the married children and the 6 grandchildren then told us they were “locked down”.
Dec 25, 2012
891 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: No new jobs may commence
I thought even existing wasnt allowed, I think the intent was for subdivision construction (exosting is ok, new is not)
JS
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8821 posts
4494 upvotes
Paris
James Stonehenge wrote: I thought even existing wasnt allowed, I think the intent was for subdivision construction (exosting is ok, new is not)
Work with a footing permit prior to the shutdown, res work that started prior to the shutdown, work that was to shut down commercial.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4906 posts
753 upvotes
Calgary
A house construction near me is continuing unabated. Roofers put the plywood on this week. At least three concrete trucks delivery . Not sure how many workers on site but I am sure five at least?

This is in Alberta?
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8821 posts
4494 upvotes
Paris
Cough wrote: A house construction near me is continuing unabated. Roofers put the plywood on this week. At least three concrete trucks delivery . Not sure how many workers on site but I am sure five at least?

This is in Alberta?
Ontario is what we are talking about.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6476 posts
2038 upvotes
GTA
At a sub division in Milton the builder allows 1 trade in a house at a time.
Feb 26, 2019
239 posts
201 upvotes
Ottawa
Zamboni wrote: At a sub division in Milton the builder allows 1 trade in a house at a time.
Similar thing here in Ottawa. Custom house the street is proceeding with 1 worker per floor.

I had planned some landscaping this summer. I am assuming it is not happening. I plan to give the contractor a call this week to see what how he is handling this seasons work.
Jun 12, 2008
956 posts
408 upvotes
Ripley
Cough wrote: A house construction near me is continuing unabated. Roofers put the plywood on this week. At least three concrete trucks delivery . Not sure how many workers on site but I am sure five at least?

This is in Alberta?
I live in Ontario and this is what the construction site looks like that my spouse is working on. 4 trades on site of a 4 unit single story row house. No restrictions on worker placement. No masks. No running water. The by law officer and ministry of labour are called daily by people passing by because it looks like they are breaking the rules but they aren't. The roofing company was pulled over and charged last week for having 5 unrelated people in the vehicle. Now they all drive themselves to the work site. 3 other buildings on the site have been started and have permits so they can keep working. These units are all spec units meaning no one has purchased them yet and no one is waiting to move in to them.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8821 posts
4494 upvotes
Paris
zeddy wrote: I live in Ontario and this is what the construction site looks like that my spouse is working on. 4 trades on site of a 4 unit single story row house. No restrictions on worker placement. No masks. No running water. The by law officer and ministry of labour are called daily by people passing by because it looks like they are breaking the rules but they aren't. The roofing company was pulled over and charged last week for having 5 unrelated people in the vehicle. Now they all drive themselves to the work site. 3 other buildings on the site have been started and have permits so they can keep working. These units are all spec units meaning no one has purchased them yet and no one is waiting to move in to them.
If they have a permit prior to the shutdown they are good to go... for now. Won’t be long before this is shut down too. Too many idiots.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2135 posts
361 upvotes
We are doing a main floor renovation which was supposed to start early April. The timing for all this wasn't good as we got our windows replaced in time, but 2 weeks prior to renos emergency shutdown put it all in flux. We could have had the demolishion done, but our kitchen cabinet fabriators manufacturer was forced to shut, which put it all on hold. Holding out hope that this form of manufacturing may be an early opener once things slowly try to get back to normalcy.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4629 posts
459 upvotes
Burlington
dottawat wrote: Similar thing here in Ottawa. Custom house the street is proceeding with 1 worker per floor.

I had planned some landscaping this summer. I am assuming it is not happening. I plan to give the contractor a call this week to see what how he is handling this seasons work.
We are getting landscaping work done too and no real timeline yet. Believe Ford extended the emergency order for another month so my guess is at some point mid summer.