Cell Phones

Covid-19 - fido or virgin or bell etc credits or discounts?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2020 11:40 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1084 posts
872 upvotes
Toronto

Covid-19 - fido or virgin or bell etc credits or discounts?

hello, I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this, so mods can move as needed.

has anyone out there had any luck with bell or fido or virgin mobile, etc - getting some bill credits or discounts due to this horrible covid-19?
I'm sure I'm not the only one using way less mobile data as I'm on WIFI while stuck at home.

I did an online chat with Fido - they're waiving canada long distance charges - weren't calls made from canada to canada free anyway already??

Also contacted Virgin mobile, and their loyalty department is supposed to call me back later today. Will update then.

Thoughts?
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
4 replies
Sep 16, 2018
12 posts
9 upvotes
pererac wrote: hello, I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this, so mods can move as needed.

has anyone out there had any luck with bell or fido or virgin mobile, etc - getting some bill credits or discounts due to this horrible covid-19?
I'm sure I'm not the only one using way less mobile data as I'm on WIFI while stuck at home.

I did an online chat with Fido - they're waiving canada long distance charges - weren't calls made from canada to canada free anyway already??

Also contacted Virgin mobile, and their loyalty department is supposed to call me back later today. Will update then.

Thoughts?
Hello,

I personally wouldn't get your hopes up. I am with TELUS and have 20gb plan and I rarely use half of it but per contract I have to spend $75 min a month so they can't bring the price down. Unfortunately it is "valid" charges no matter how much you use. During covid 19 technically companies don't have to do anything. Anything they do is just as a gesture given the situation. Those are still considered valid charges. I find people hate the words "valid charges" haha.

I actually am a retention rep but I work for a US telecom so I get these types of calls basically every shift and people have gotten so entitled during these times it is unreal. I am not saying you are entitled I'm just saying general as someone who works in the loyalty dept. At my work we are offering no such credit but we do give all customers unlimited data regardless of plan which is nice and as a Canadian I am so jealous of.
Feb 29, 2020
130 posts
24 upvotes
Are you eligible / Did you apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)?
pererac wrote: hello, I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this, so mods can move as needed.

Thoughts?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
2123 posts
1480 upvotes
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thoughts?
What's your current cell phone plan?
Maybe go online and change it to one that is less expensive. Then when things get going. Change the plan again. There is a $50/15gb winback from fido
Jun 4, 2013
527 posts
204 upvotes
Vancouver
boak21 wrote: Hello,

I personally wouldn't get your hopes up. I am with TELUS and have 20gb plan and I rarely use half of it but per contract I have to spend $75 min a month so they can't bring the price down. Unfortunately it is "valid" charges no matter how much you use. During covid 19 technically companies don't have to do anything. Anything they do is just as a gesture given the situation. Those are still considered valid charges. I find people hate the words "valid charges" haha.

I actually am a retention rep but I work for a US telecom so I get these types of calls basically every shift and people have gotten so entitled during these times it is unreal. I am not saying you are entitled I'm just saying general as someone who works in the loyalty dept. At my work we are offering no such credit but we do give all customers unlimited data regardless of plan which is nice and as a Canadian I am so jealous of.
So true. Have people calling in saying they can't pay their bills due to CoVI19. Dude your bills haven't been paid for months so that have nothing to do with CoVID19.