Health & Wellness

Covid-19 isolation & mental health

[OP]
Jul 1, 2016
785 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto

Covid-19 isolation & mental health

Despite being a Introvert my whole life. The last thing I expected was having a difficult time getting through covid-19.
Yet here I am... 5 moths later (of working from home) feeling more isolated and lonely than any point in my life... longing for physical human contact (cuddling).

To top it off; it feels the majority of all human interactions are increasingly "transactional". This includes relationships, marriages, jobs, etc... It's horrifying.
Anyone else going through something similar or feel the same way?
Pixelation~
27 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2144 posts
369 upvotes
Althought I am not in your situation, I can tell you this is quite common right now for people of all ages. Further to that, with workplaces trending towards work from home this will further isolate people into social isolation. We have 3 kids at home, ages 11-19 and they have been feeling this since the onset. My parents rarely leave the house, and after years of not overly relying upon each other, the time together has challenged them like no other point in their lives...

Dont forget there is lots of mental health help available, as you are not alone....
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13091 posts
2184 upvotes
City of Vancouver
You are permitted to invite select people into your bubble now?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13371 posts
8342 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Just go out for a walk and clear your head.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13091 posts
2184 upvotes
City of Vancouver
It has been observed that society has been increasingly growing more narcissistic. (Dr. Drew wrote a book on this topic. He is not the one who has observed this. I think it is fairly evident.)

There is the theory out there that narcissist relations are "transactional". People are replaceable to narcissists as would be a toaster that stops working.

With regard to jobs, business is business. The company should have a mission statement that gives a clue as to what kind of direction, morals, or goals it has?

When it comes to trends in society, you don't have much control over them. You also can't control someone else's thoughts and behaviour. So, just focus your energy on what u can control, which is your own thoughts and behaviour.
[OP]
Jul 1, 2016
785 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote: You are permitted to invite select people into your bubble now?
Yeah, consent goes both ways; the other party has to agree too... and they're not comfortable (understandably; due to high risk family member(s) in their household).
Pixelation~
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13091 posts
2184 upvotes
City of Vancouver
My friend is like that. She is not ready to meet up yet.
Sep 3, 2019
402 posts
243 upvotes
GTA
Becks wrote: It has been observed that society has been increasingly growing more narcissistic. (Dr. Drew wrote a book on this topic. He is not the one who has observed this. I think it is fairly evident.)

There is the theory out there that narcissist relations are "transactional". People are replaceable to narcissists as would be a toaster that stops working.

With regard to jobs, business is business. The company should have a mission statement that gives a clue as to what kind of direction, morals, or goals it has?

When it comes to trends in society, you don't have much control over them. You also can't control someone else's thoughts and behaviour. So, just focus your energy on what u can control, which is your own thoughts and behaviour.
To add onto this, I occasionally dwell on others' past narcissistic behaviour and what's brought me some semblance of peace is to empathize for their unfortunate life circumstances (past, present and even future circumstances) and to remind myself I'd rather be where I am than to be where they are. Narcissists tend to get ahead in work, but lead lonely lives with few if any genuine friends. And it's likely the people who choose to be in their life protect themselves by being transactional towards them, further reinforcing the personality/behaviour.
[OP]
Jul 1, 2016
785 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
SKill7 wrote: Narcissists tend to get ahead in work, but lead lonely lives with few if any genuine friends.
That may be true; but it's more than just work they get ahead on... it's also power, authority and money at the workplace which is a self perpetuating cycle. I've seen this time and time again...
Pixelation~
Sep 3, 2019
402 posts
243 upvotes
GTA
Lots of people demonstrate narcissistic behaviours to achieve those priorities.

I'm a pretty hardcore introvert so total or near total isolation before covid wasn't new to me. You can even say I've been training for this moment for a good 10, 20 years lol. However, I still strongly prefer a good blend of me time and in person time with family, friends, coworkers. Looking at people through a screen or talking on the phone cannot replace hugs and the social presence of others.

My greatest challenge so far has been that sitting too much is causing quad/butt/back pain, thus disrupting my routine and making life a misery. That aside, I'm confident I can make isolation a fairly productive period.

I try pretty hard to mix in stretching/working out, small handy work jobs around the house, regular meals, and strong routines and structure everyday.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8922 posts
1154 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I feel the same way as you OP. To me it's not just about seeing people less so much as it's the fact that this is due to something out of your control. Normally I can choose when I want and don't want to interact with others (go out one day, decide to stay in the next), but covid has somewhat forced that decision on me and the entire general population. Add to that a lot of general anxiousness towards gatherings, the general health of society, social unrest in the world and certainly it would wear down on your mental state.

It's not just that, even when you DO get to talk to people, it's like the world has slowed down. We are social creatures and our interactions with the world and others does form the basis of our daily routines most of the time. I realize that slowly but surely, on my "reunions" with people, we started having less to discuss about because it all revolves around similar topics of covid/isolation/Netflix/cooking. You don't really realize how much a lot of our connections and conversations come from external stimuli until those stimuli are drastically reduced.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10204 posts
738 upvotes
Learn meditation. Walk outside. Do some light reading. Enjoy nature.

Talk to friends and relatives on the phone.

I have been catching up on TV shows and Movies. Some gaming.

If you have been an introvert then you should be able to handle it. Don't be scared to be isolated. Enjoy it while it last because the fast pace of life will come back.

If something deeper is going on with you there are support available.

Buy David Goggins book or audiobook. You can find it for free if you know where to look. Best self help book I have ever listened to. A real one. No BS.
Aug 12, 2016
251 posts
37 upvotes
Have heard of a few horror stories of people committing suicide because of being locked up in their homes. The scary bit is that these people were well settled individuals with no money issues but they still chose to take this step
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17703 posts
1241 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
For some people what might work is trying to find a new / completely different hobby.

i.e. some people I know who NEVER used to "read books for fun", started doing it during the pandemic and I'm impressed how many they've gotten through now...
the last time i remember these particular persons reading Fiction was probably during University lol.

but that's just one example - you have to try and find something for you.

if you stay within the vortex of "eat. sleep. surf web. netflix." then it's probably going to affect your mental health adversely.