Health & Wellness

Covid-19 isolation & mental health

Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34150 posts
3893 upvotes
Winnipeg
ProjectPixelation wrote: Despite being a Introvert my whole life. The last thing I expected was having a difficult time getting through covid-19.
Yet here I am... 5 moths later (of working from home) feeling more isolated and lonely than any point in my life... longing for physical human contact (cuddling).
To top it off; it feels the majority of all human interactions are increasingly "transactional". This includes relationships, marriages, jobs, etc... It's horrifying.
Anyone else going through something similar or feel the same way?
What do you mean it is increasing transactional? Was it not like this before? Relationship and marriage and jobs all started off as business transactions. It was designed to increase the wealth and profit of families.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34150 posts
3893 upvotes
Winnipeg
ProjectPixelation wrote: How's everyone else dealing with covid isolation?
Social interaction over discord channel, voice communication preferable, table top simulator for board game socials, reading books, it is pretty bad but what can you do. I'm probably going to end up with pretty bad mental breakdown.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13088 posts
2180 upvotes
City of Vancouver
My sibling's friend recently commited suicide from depression over covid-19.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1873 posts
292 upvotes
Canada
good, I'm an introvert and have been living this life before covid.
[OP]
Jul 1, 2016
785 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
Savak2015 wrote: Have heard of a few horror stories of people committing suicide because of being locked up in their homes. The scary bit is that these people were well settled individuals with no money issues but they still chose to take this step
For some; socializing in person daily is their lifeline (regardless of their monetary or material possessions) they can't function without it... just as some people need to be alone 90% on a daily/weekly basis... I fall into the ladder but still need my 10% (meaningful socialization).
Pixelation~
May 30, 2017
116 posts
38 upvotes
Thriving, mostly.

Used to be in a long-time struggle with mental health for the majority of the previous decade. Things conveniently turned around last year, and I was acknowledged as no longer depressed at the beginning of this year, just in time for the ultimate stress test of 2020.

I'm usually preoccupied with other things than to think about this. Besides my long-time default to sitting and gaming, I've expanded my attention to things like fitness, cooking, making music.

Every now and then, like on some Sunday evenings about once a month, isolation hits me like a truck. Not because I'm stuck at home, but because even as I'm an online kind of person, my history with depression has left me excluded from a growing social circle in an online game I spend a lot of time playing. I think I may be slipping into a comparison trap once a while, comparing my isolated but thriving self to my past afflicted self with many ears to vent to (but they eventually got tired it).

I'll admit though that the beginning of staying at home was a bit tough. A closed unlocked door is less imposing than a closed locked door.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1247 upvotes
Scarborough
Pray. Read your Holy books and reconnect to your faith. You only find peace and calm in remembrance of the Almighty. Its the only way out of anxiety and depression

Everything else is not gonna help, no matter how hard try or do. People hate religion nowadays thats why these illnesses have increased, and big pharma loves it to hook you on drugs for life
Sep 15, 2017
17 posts
4 upvotes
See this as an pattern interrupt in your life to try something new and explore something. Due to a collective forced habit interrupt, it will be easier to try new things. Do something different. Exercise (high intensity especially - like sprints in the sun) and cold shower will help.

Ground your sense into your body. There no problem if you actually check out real life (you're on redflagedeals infront of a ocmputer typing stuff) - shit only gets whack when thoughts arise and you are sucked into a bullshiet story that is likely re-ocurring. - break the pattern buddy.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13088 posts
2180 upvotes
City of Vancouver
apnayloags wrote: Pray. Read your Holy books and reconnect to your faith. You only find peace and calm in remembrance of the Almighty. Its the only way out of anxiety and depression

Everything else is not gonna help, no matter how hard try or do. People hate religion nowadays thats why these illnesses have increased, and big pharma loves it to hook you on drugs for life
Yes, look to God after ur child has been raped, tortured, and murdered. What kind of god allows this to happen to children? One that works in mysterious ways.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Jun 4, 2013
434 posts
195 upvotes
Vancouver
Never had an issue. I usually see my friends every few months. Now we just mostly chat online. Visit my parents once a week. Most of time is just me and my wife. As life goes on and you start your own family you are going to notice there are less time spent with friends.
Jul 24, 2019
595 posts
723 upvotes
Canada
ProjectPixelation wrote: Despite being a Introvert my whole life. The last thing I expected was having a difficult time getting through covid-19.
Yet here I am... 5 moths later (of working from home) feeling more isolated and lonely than any point in my life... longing for physical human contact (cuddling).

To top it off; it feels the majority of all human interactions are increasingly "transactional". This includes relationships, marriages, jobs, etc... It's horrifying.
Anyone else going through something similar or feel the same way?
Some great resources and tips
https://www.camh.ca/en/health-info/ment ... -resources

Going for a walk is a good idea too
Aug 21, 2019
328 posts
219 upvotes
BC
If you are feeling lonely, call a friend, go for a walk, join a club etc. Covid loneliness is no joke. At my work place we had at least 3 suicides, all were workaholic lonely single dudes. Stay safe.