Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: COVID-19 misinformation

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 11:06 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17978 posts
1538 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON

COVID-19 misinformation

While I appreciate the mods apparent efforts to reduce COVID-19 misinformation on some of the subforums on the site, I noticed someone summarized in a post all the misinformation found in a particular thread in OT:

no-antibodies-so-no-herd-immunity-2385922/11/#p32868594

Anybody can read that thread/forum (i.e. no need to login or have an account) - so wouldn't it be a good idea to perform similar moderation there?
8 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13050 posts
8290 upvotes
Markham
konfusion666 wrote: While I appreciate the mods apparent efforts to reduce COVID-19 misinformation on some of the subforums on the site, I noticed someone summarized in a post all the misinformation found in a particular thread in OT:

no-antibodies-so-no-herd-immunity-2385922/11/#p32868594

Anybody can read that thread/forum (i.e. no need to login or have an account) - so wouldn't it be a good idea to perform similar moderation there?

The most important is who can prove which side is fake news or misinformation?

Those information could evolve everyday , today's misinformation could become tomorrow's science. Example, face mask
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5935 posts
1048 upvotes
Calgary
smartie wrote: The most important is who can prove which side is fake news or misinformation?
Which side? Of course the medical expert side.
smartie wrote: Those information could evolve everyday , today's misinformation could become tomorrow's science. Example, face mask
We need to recognize the difference between outdated information vs misinformation.
We need to be critical and be open minded to each piece of new information as they come.
For example, face mask was not recommended but it is now. And this is agreed on by all medical experts. Since this is no harm in putting on facing mask, I will follow the experts.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13050 posts
8290 upvotes
Markham
mucat wrote: Which side? Of course the medical expert side.



We need to recognize the difference between outdated information vs misinformation.
We need to be critical and be open minded to each piece of new information as they come.
For example, face mask was not recommended but it is now. And this is agreed on by all medical experts. Since this is no harm in putting on facing mask, I will follow the experts.
Outdated information at that time is misinformation.
You experts said in early this year that mask was not effective

You can call it outdated NOW, but it WAS misinformation at that time

How could you prove what experts current experts said is true

Btw, this is not against experts. Just say covid 19 is new, no one really knows what's going on

Not mention among experts side, there are different opinions as well
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5935 posts
1048 upvotes
Calgary
smartie wrote: Outdated information at that time is misinformation.
You experts said in early this year that mask was not effective
I am not an expert and I do not own any expert.
smartie wrote: You can call it outdated NOW, but it WAS misinformation at that time
Let me provide an example. Long time ago, we human in most culture thought lighting/thunder were created by some god.
At those time, those are the explanation we got. At those time, those are not misinformation, they are wrong information though.
As time pass, we gain more understand of lighting/thunder and we have better/more accurate information about lighting/thunder.
Now, if someone in the current time promotes lighting/thunder are the creation of some god. That is misinformation because we know better now.
smartie wrote: How could you prove what experts current experts said is true

Btw, this is not against experts. Just say covid 19 is new, no one really knows what's going on
Science does not proclaim truth. Science improves as we gather more evidence. Experts know more about a specific subject than non-expert, that's by definition.
Saying no one really knows is not true, medical experts still know more about covid-19 than you or me.
smartie wrote: Not mention among experts side, there are different opinions as well
I haven't heard any experts saying mask is a bad idea. You will have to provide a link.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13050 posts
8290 upvotes
Markham
mucat wrote: I am not an expert and I do not own any expert.



Let me provide an example. Long time ago, we human in most culture thought lighting/thunder were created by some god.
At those time, those are the explanation we got. At those time, those are not misinformation, they are wrong information though.
As time pass, we gain more understand of lighting/thunder and we have better/more accurate information about lighting/thunder.
Now, if someone in the current time promotes lighting/thunder are the creation of some god. That is misinformation because we know better now.


Science does not proclaim truth. Science improves as we gather more evidence. Experts know more about a specific subject than non-expert, that's by definition.
Saying no one really knows is not true, medical experts still know more about covid-19 than you or me.


I haven't heard any experts saying mask is a bad idea. You will have to provide a link.
Just google how many doctors said mask is not effective, if you don't believe so, google it.

We don't need an example long time ago, RFD might not exist long time.we know covid better everyday, today's knowledge can be proved as misinformation tomorrow. Majority of people said so doesn't mean it's right

Experts know more than you and me doesn't mean they know this virus, they could know better than us but still be wrong

Mods are not healthcare experts and they cannot tell which information is truth and which is misinformation .
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5935 posts
1048 upvotes
Calgary
smartie wrote: Just google how many doctors said mask is not effective, if you don't believe so, google it.
Pick one and post it here. Make sure it is kind of current. And we can all look into it.
smartie wrote: We don't need an example long time ago, RFD might not exist long time.we know covid better everyday, today's knowledge can be proved as misinformation tomorrow. Majority of people said so doesn't mean it's right
We will adjust as new information got discovered. No reason to hold on to a believe in opposition of current information.
smartie wrote: Experts know more than you and me doesn't mean they know this virus, they could know better than us but still be wrong
It means they knows more about the virus than you or me. They might not have 100% accurate model but it is still more accurate than yours.
smartie wrote: Mods are not healthcare experts and they cannot tell which information is truth and which is misinformation .
That's why we listen to the experts. ATM, mask is strongly recommended.
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10883 posts
3175 upvotes
Newmarket
This is not the place to debate COVID-19.

The mod team is not responsible for moderating the quality of information being shared unless the content violates our rules.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
26712 posts
5838 upvotes
WorldIRC is absolutely correct. We generally only react when something violates our rules. Spreading misinformation is a grey area. It's not simple to moderate such posts nor do I have any interest in doing so.

For example, there's a large number of doctors out there that publicly state hydroxychloroquine is effective. Many others say it isn't. It appears to become a treatment that's been politicized. It is unrealistic to expect RFD mods to decipher what is the truth when it comes to such a topic. Information changes regularly. What is believed to be a fact today could be misinformation tomorrow. It's not my job to determine who is wrong between some doctors and the WHO, for example, nor am I capable of such a thing.

So while it would be great if we could stop all misinformation from being spread, that's just not realistic.

Top